Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Renting in Germany and getting back your deposit.

23 posts in this topic

IMHO, think twice about relocating and renting property in Germany.

Yes, it's a great country, lovely people generally, but landlords are a different species.

If you make the move, I suggest renting the cheapest property, especially if you are not there long-term.

Also, take photos of everything before furnishing and get landlord to sign at the start.

Be sure to see proof of the Warm-rent the previous tenant was asked to pay as landlords say one price and charge another.

Don't ever expect to get your deposit back and if you try, be willing to invest at least a year of your time in attempting to claim back what is yours. Remember, this will mean possibly costly phonecalls from abroad, translations and in the end a plane ticket to go in person to claim your deposit back. Especially if you move back to your origin after Germany.

Landlords fob you off saying it takes 12 months to calculate costs after you have left and knowing you are likely out of the country after that, dont pay up.

I got my last deposit back within 3 weeks of moving out. There are bad experiences exactly as the OP paints, but they're the exception, not the rule.

I would, for foreigners, always recommend to make clear that someone , a friend, is still there and will take care of your rights in case. Just hand over name and address, telephone number of someone you can fairly trust. Guess that helps a lot.

Landlords fob you off saying it takes 12 months to calculate costs after you have left and knowing you are likely out of the country after that, dont pay up.

They are legally entitled to 12 months. You may find this inconvenient but it's perfectly legal and in no way consitutes some kind of malevolant attempt at fraud.

Dont worry, not everyone has bad experiences,

I got my full deposit back from the first place I had here - even though I somehow damaged the kitchen wall.

I am still in my second place but, considering how great my current landlords were during a flood/mold disaster, I am not worried.

I got my last deposit back within 3 weeks of moving out. There are bad experiences exactly as the OP paints, but they're the exception, not the rule.

Indeed. There are bad ones but a lot of people focus on them and forget that most run perfectly properly.

Also, settlement can go either way. If you wait 12 months for your final bill and it turns out you owe something (not unusual in these days of rising costs), then of course you have had the benefit of that cash in your bank for an extra year.

What is worse about my landlord is that they charge double what the originally agreed Warmrent is supposed to be. That's why I suggest to all newbies to check previous tenants warmrent payments before comitting.

Robbie, you're obviously determined to be dissatisfied, so its kicking a dead camel trying to interact with you.

The landlord charges you what he's supposed to. Its detailed clearly in the report the housing administrator sends the landlord yearly.

I know because I am one. Most of my tenants are on all inclusive contracts, but one came with the flat I bought and she still get a yearly Warmkostenabrechnung. My 2nd last tenant on that basis left a few months ago, and he was happy to have me calculate his charges for 2010 based on 2009 figures. If he wasn't then he'd have had to wait until April 2011 to get back his deposit minus charges.

The first place we had in here we got the kaution back within weeks.

The second, well, with the help of the Mieterbund we are still fighting and it's nearly been a year. There are some real nasty landlords out there so I would always cover your back. Photograph as mentioned above and join the Mieterbund, it is very much worth the money!!

There are nasty landlords and awesome ones everywhere. Every experience is individual. I, for one, had an easier time getting deposits back in Germany than in Canada, but that's just my individual experience.

Just because you had one a-hole for a landlord doesn't mean all German landlords are like that (though, I digress, there certainly are a great number of them out there, like anywhere, I suppose...)

Not sure what you mean about the previous tenant's warmrent. Presumably, you've signed a contract that specifies the your rent including utility costs. Where does that involve the person who rented before you?

ETA: Is it that they raised your utility payment because the estimated it too low to lure you into moving in?

robbieb, before you go venting on a forum that you joined no 12 hours ago take a look around. There's a lot of generalization going on in your post, and a lot of people will share their opposite experience (although some will agree with you).

I've also had trouble with a former landlord, who said everything was ok when I moved out and even gave me a signed protocol, but later claimed to have found some hidden damages. We went to court and he lost, but it was still a lot of trouble for me.

A good idea is not to pay any rent for the last 2 months of your stay. That equals about your deposit and you have little risk left, basically only the difference in the actual utility bill vs. what you already prepaid. Also, according to German law they cannot kick you out in such a short time, so there's nothing to worry.

Well actually the idea of a deposit is that the landlord has some protection if you damage the place. Not paying rent for the last 2 months removes this protection, is illegal, and not tolerated by landlords.

robbieb, before you go venting on a forum that you joined no 12 hours ago take a look around. There's a lot of generalization going on in your post, and a lot of people will share their opposite experience (although some will agree with you).

Sounds like more generalization to me. When does the forum reply become valid? 14 hours?

What is worse about my landlord is that they charge double what the originally agreed Warmrent is supposed to be. That's why I suggest to all newbies to check previous tenants warmrent payments before comitting.

That would be because you used more. That is just a projected costs. At the end of the year it is tallied against actual usage and you either ay the difference or get a refund.

I have some advice for you, look up how the system works abroad before assuming it works the way you think it should. You are complaining about many things that are perfectly normal parts of the German rental system.

Sorry to be a bitch, but you would of known all this had you actually researched basic factors of living before coming here.

Now you pass on bad info and advice, that only misinforms the next guy.

I've also had trouble with a former landlord, who said everything was ok when I moved out and even gave me a signed protocol, but later claimed to have found some hidden damages. We went to court and he lost, but it was still a lot of trouble for me.

A good idea is not to pay any rent for the last 2 months of your stay. That equals about your deposit and you have little risk left, basically only the difference in the actual utility bill vs. what you already prepaid. Also, according to German law they cannot kick you out in such a short time, so there's nothing to worry.

What crap ass advice. That is not legal and just because they cannot evict you so fast does not make it ok. So we should just not pay bills either since we are leaving? Its actions like that that give us other expats a bad name and make people hesitant to rent to us.

You choose to live here follow the system, do not like it then stay home. But do not fuck it up for everyone else nor pass on shitty illegal advice.

Anybody else get a PM from HillelMoses drawing your attention to apparent comments on this thread made by himself and Gretl? And complaining about market manipulation, and dark forces.

They are legally entitled to 12 months. You may find this inconvenient but it's perfectly legal and in no way consitutes some kind of malevolant attempt at fraud.

I've never actually understood why they get 12 months as this seems an extremely long time.

Basically it is also 12 months where your money is sitting in their bank gaining interest for them.