Vitamin D in the milk

76 posts in this topic

The question therefore is whether you would willingly expose yourself to UVB from a lamp, for a few minutes, a few times a week to artificially increase your Vitamin D levels. Or are people still basically terrified of anything with UVB?

if you want to get vitamin D from sunshine the best time is from 10AM to around 3PM

and the nut is a good resource of vitamin D

if you want to get vitamin D from sunshine the best time is from 10AM to around 3PM

Also assuming you are located 1,000 miles further South from here and/or it is not Winter. Wasting your time here in Germany from September to March.

p.s. If your black or fat or short or old....or worse still all 4...you have extra issues. All of these things have a negative effect on your ability to manufacture/use/store Vitamin D. It *may* for example account for the more aggressive breast cancers for black women and higher incidence of prostate cancer for black men.

THANK YOU, CountryChick for the tip on vitamin D deficiency and inflammation/joint pain. I have had the beginnings of mild arthritis in my hands for a while, but never anywhere near the levels swelling, pain and lack of mobility that I have been experienced with increasing severity this first winter in Germany. Last winter at home in Southern California my doctor said my vitamin D levels were kind of low and gave me a prescription for four weekly tablets of 50,000 I.U. of vitamin D, to be refilled three times. I never took them because what I researched at that time left me uncomfortable with such high doses. At the last minute I tossed them in my suitcase before moving to Heidelberg, thinking about the coming long, dark winter. I didn't even remember about the lack of vitamin D in milk products. After reading your posts and doing further research on the internet, I took one of these super vitamin D capsules this morning. The pain in my knee is gone and pain in my hands is down to about a quarter what it was last night while on the internet researching. I have about 50% greater mobility and much less pain in my overworked right thumb which was very painful to even a light touch last night. I was at the point I couldn't open a water bottle and was having trouble cooking for my family. What an AMAZING difference! (and no, I don't think it's a placebo effect). BTY, I saw some evidence of vitamin D levels affecting progesterone levels which are related to inflammation issues and some other issues like insomnia I've been dealing with. I also have been using a lot of sunscreen over the last few years, including UVB blockers. Unintended consequences! Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience!!

The reason vitamin D (and not other vitamins) is added to milk is that the calcium in milk is generally poorly absorbed, but absorption is helped when consumed at the same time as vitamin D...

This is half of the reason. Remember that the food industry in the US has no interest in the health of their consumers. The reason that vitamin D is added to milk is because the FDA requires that it be added if the dairy industry wants to advertise milk as being good for you: "Milk does a body good" (and countless other claims). Generally, milk is not "health food" for humans.

FYI on the topic of Vitamin D in Germany, in the news reported by dradio.de on January 12, 2012:

Mehr Vitamin D ist nötig

Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ernährung erhöht Referenzwert für die tägliche Aufnahme drastisch

Von Volker Mrasek

Physiologie. - Nahrungsergänzungsmittel sind nicht unumstritten. Von vielen wird die zusätzliche Einnahme von zum Beispiel Vitaminen abgelehnt. Doch beim Vitamin D scheint sie nach der jüngsten Empfehlungsrevision der deutschen Gesellschaft für Ernährung durchaus sinnvoll. Die erhöhte den Referenzwert auf das Vierfache.

Read the details here: http://www.dradio.de/dlf/sendungen/forschak/1651113/

I already mentioned on another thread that my doc of nuclear medicine told me last week that there is no way anyone is Germany is producing enough vitamin D in the wintertime (October to March) simply by going outside. I also have other issues that prevent the absorption of vitamins and she recommended I start supplementing with D right away. My experience has been the same as quiddichmom's as far as reducing pain and inflammation.

and the nut is a good resource of vitamin D

Nuts are not a significant source of vitamin D at all.

Nuts are not a significant source of vitamin D at all.

Of course they are! Plenty of nuts working at the health food stores where they sell it.

I had blood tests done recently and thinking back to this discussion I asked the doctor if he could check vitamins as well. Vitamin D is the only one the Krankenkass will pay for apparently so I got that done anyway. And today got a prescription since my level is only 7 (he said normal is between 30 and 100). So now I have tablets I'm supposed to take every two weeks for a year - although I have to get a repeat prescription after six months so he might do another test then.

I normally don't go out in the sun much because we have a really bad history of skin cancer in my family...

This is something I'm now in a bit of a quandry about. Having very pale skin (of the freckly Irish variety) as well as my dad having had skin cancer I've been far more careful in the last few years about not spending time in strong sunlight and/or making sure I'm well covered and sun-creamed. Will have to look into it a bit more to try and decide where I'll be able to find a happy balance. I'm not even sure, for example, if I need to be in direct sunlight to get the UVB rays I need for vitamin D, or if just outside in the light is enough. Should probably try and make the most of what sun we have left this summer at least.

The problem with fortifying food is if it turns out that the vitamin is bad for you then the Government has basically caused national damage. Fortification is medication against peoples consent, this is already done with water where floride is added. If you are in favour of this vitamin take it yourself, the state should not medicate the population, today vitamin D tom orrow prozac in the water, what happens if continued low population vaigra to increase population growth.

You should remember that all the pale skin and blondiness is in fact a genetic adaptation to the northern climate. These lucky people need waaay less time in the sun than even the southern european types. You should also know that added vitamins often prove to be harmful. There is something in addition to the vitamins that we are missing, perhaps body's own regulation processes, or additional nutrients that normally come with those vitamins.

For example, there were large studies which tried to show that antioxidant vitamins can prevent cancer. Studies had to be terminated - cancer rates in fact turned out higher and the ethics panels shut them down. Then there is the famous example of vitamin A. It is normally in beta carotin form. But supplements used to give you straight (preformed) vitamin A. This causes hip fracture and even birth defects. Ah, and vitamin D will give elderly brain leisures and again bone problems (more falls and fractures). These are the very things it is meant to protect you from!

So eat your carots, get your sun and don't play God. Play with your friends and children instead.

I've been unable to concentrate, have short term memory loss and have felt extremely depressed.. And my ability to deal with stress is practically non-existent, leading to other health issues which are embarrassing and uncomfortable, if the previousls mentioned weren't crippling enough.

It turns out that I have vitamin D deficiency (still waiting to have the details from the doc). I live in Berlin, which is far sunnier than where I have spent most of my time in Germany (around Flensburg).

It's 2019 now, so reading the Internet will tell you e.g. Rickets in American children increased by about 300% when they removed all the added vitamin D to their diets back then, which is why milk became fortified.

That vitamin D can cause a host of issues including death. If you are dark skinned, you will have it worse - a study in the US showed that black Americans on average had about a 4th of the vitamin D levels that white Americans had in their blood, which was basically the threshold at which people were depressed/happy.

That 80% of your vitamin D comes from your skin, only 20% from your food, the most of which you can absorb at around 50% when had with fat and less than half that if you don't.

That it's not as simple as going out into the sun for hours at a time, but in short doses multiple times a week.

I live in Berlin and have olive skin. Over the many years of living here, my skin has gotten lighter and I can no longer tan as dark as I could - I can actually get sunburnt if I return to a sunny place and sit in the sun for too long.

My diet is pretty healthy - although I have avoided eggs (especially the yellow) and somehow stopped having milk over the past couple of years, I eat bio meat most days of the week.

I am looking at a dietary reform and psychological therapy - pretty convinced that the deficiency is the culprit for the other problems by body has been having a hard time fending off.

My advice: if you have a vitamin D deficiency, don't ignore it. It plays out as stress, sadness, tiredness, forgetfulness, insomnia, etc, etc. All things that tend to creep up on you in everyday life and your first reaction is to dismiss it as something else (maybe itstress at work? Maybe warm weather? Maybe allergies?), things you think are temporary but that also create a devil's cycle. (Lack of sleep = more stress = loss of appetite = depression = lack of sleep =...) The longer you deal with it, the longer you are at risk to have other ailments from a weakened immune system.

Just wanted to post here since TT is still a top result for this topic - wanted to let people know that there is hope so go to the doctor and start fixing your issues one at a time.

On 12/2/2010, 2:37:06, candie111 said:

the nut is a good resource of vitamin D

mmmm...nut milk...