Money stolen from my bank account

103 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear about this. Judging from results online, you're not the first to have had their Postbank account hacked.

The Bavarian police apparently have had cyber crime units in place since 2017 and recommend that you contact your local police station in the first instance, so it sounds as if you have gone about things the right way:

"Die Bearbeitung von Cybercrime-Delikten liegt in ganz Bayern in den Händen der 2017 neu geschaffenen Kommissariate "Cybercrime" bei der Kriminalpolizei. Sollten Sie als Privatperson ein Cybercrime-Delikt zur Anzeige bringen wollen, wenden Sie sich bitte unmittelbar an die für Sie zuständige Polizeiinspektion."
https://www.polizei.bayern.de/kriminalitaet/internet/

I wonder if your debit card has somehow been compromised, e.g. by being scanned by some kind of illegal device, maybe at a cash machine, or you're doing online banking and the bank's website isn't secure, or your data has been accessed through phishing. But perhaps others have an idea how this could have happened. The only solution I can think of is to hope you get the rest of the money back and maybe set up an account with a different bank.

So verhinderst du Phishing-Attacken auf dein Bankkonto
How to prevent phishing

16 hours ago, Gobhs said:

Please suggest me what should I do now? If the hacking is crime why Police are not taking action against the hacker? Is there some kind of Cyber Crime Cell exists in Germany where I can go?

This has nothing to do with hacking or phishing. Everyone who knows your account details can trigger a direct debit. And you can claim back any money debited in such way to your account within six weeks without having to state any reason whatsoever for doing so. You do need to regularly check your accounts, though.

6 minutes ago, jeba said:

Have you already changed your paypal password?

I have no any PayPal account. 

That´s strange, given that the account statement you posted shows that the funds were credited to paypal. I´d contact them as well. Maybe someone hacked your computer and opened a paypal account using your identity.

9 hours ago, Lorelei said:

hope you get the rest of the money

Thanks, how long I should wait to get the money back? Should I talk to here, if I do not get the money back?

1 hour ago, jeba said:

That´s strange, given that the account statement you posted shows that the funds were credited to paypal. I´d contact them as well. Maybe someone hacked your computer and opened a paypal account using your identity.

They don't need to hack the persons computer to steal their identity. 

And they don't need the persons full identity details to set up their bank account as a debit account from a service such as Paypal.

In fact, I think I recall hearing a couple of years ago that banks were not checking the account holders names when doing a direct debit in Germany, so technically you could put anything down.  You just needed to know the account number.

@Gobhs

First thing is to transfer most of the remaining money out of the account and tell Postbank to freeze the account until further notice.  Tell them that they are responsible for the last transaction because you had already informed them of the fraud and they failed to stop it, and hence you want that money back from them.  And that you expect them to follow up with Paypal to get the rest of the money back.

Then you need to go to the police and report it and tell them everything.

Your bank and the Police should deal with Paypal as much as possible.

Given the length of time, I'm not even sure if you will get all the money back.  But certainly you will need to be patient as it might take a while.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

They don't need to hack the persons computer to steal their identity. 

And they don't need the persons full identity details to set up their bank account as a debit account from a service such as Paypal.

That is true but, unless it has changed, Paypal deposit two random small amounts (a few cents) in the debit account and those exact sums have to be confirmed before the Paypal setup is complete. That would indicate that the fraudster is at least able to view your bank account as well as having sufficient information to use your identity. Have you ever seen those 2 small deposits on your account? Also have you ever followed telephone instructions from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and claiming your PC had a virus, or something similar?

Good advice from @dj_jay_smith but I would certainly be concerned that your PC had been hacked or maybe someone close to you has inadvertently leaked your info or is the culprit.

14 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

...Paypal deposit two random small amounts (a few cents) in the debit account and those exact sums have to be confirmed before the Paypal setup is complete. That would indicate that the fraudster is at least able to view your bank account as well as having sufficient information to use your identity. ...

Yes I did think of that.  But that just means that the account is hacked, not necessarily the computer.

Somebody else stated that Postbank have had a problem in this area before.

17 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Yes I did think of that.  But that just means that the account is hacked, not necessarily the computer.

Somebody else stated that Postbank have had a problem in this area before.

Indeed true but difficult these days unless the Postbank have not yet introduced login confirmation. I am with a different bank but for the last few months (new EC requirement I believe) login online with credentials also requires confirmation via a mobile (SMS or PhotoTan) or some also offer a card reader that generates a TAN.

14 hours ago, Gobhs said:

I know it was my fault too as I was not checking my account. I had the impression that German banks are very secure. I had no idea that someone can hack the bank account in Germany too.

FWIW, although it doesnt really help you its interesting to note that the whole lastschrift (direct debit) system is built on trust.  Anyone can fill in a direct debit mandate with anyones BIC/IBAN and it will normally be taken at face value.

No real hacking involved.

4 hours ago, Gobhs said:

Thanks, how long I should wait to get the money back? Should I talk to here, if I do not get the money back?

Not sure how long you should wait. You might want to contact your local Verbraucherzentrale. They don't give advice for free, but it's likely to be cheaper than a lawyer.

https://www.verbraucherzentrale-bayern.de/beratungsstellen/wuerzburg

https://www.verbraucherzentrale-bayern.de/geld-versicherungen/beratung-zu-konto-und-kredit-14532

31 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Indeed true but difficult these days unless the Postbank have not yet introduced login confirmation. I am with a different bank but for the last few months (new EC requirement I believe) login online with credentials also requires confirmation via a mobile (SMS or PhotoTan) or some also offer a card reader that generates a TAN.

Yes, the EU law is valid since September.  But the OP said that she had not been checking for many months, so it was probably set-up well before that.

And my experience is also that not every bank has done this despite the law!

Postbank has changed to the two step login authentication, was a pain to set it up but now when I login to my account I need to also login into an app on my phone.

3 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

FWIW, although it doesnt really help you its interesting to note that the whole lastschrift (direct debit) system is built on trust.  Anyone can fill in a direct debit mandate with anyones BIC/IBAN and it will normally be taken at face value.

No real hacking involved.

Totally agree with respect to the lastschrift system but in this case the debit appears to be for purchase of something via a bogus Paypal account in the victims name i.e.but  not a lastschrift fraud but maybe something deeper.

53 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Totally agree with respect to the lastschrift system but in this case the debit appears to be for purchase of something via a bogus Paypal account in the victims name i.e.but  not a lastschrift fraud but maybe something deeper.

Isnt it using a lastschrift to fund the paypal payment?  Gobhs says she doesnt have a paypal account, but paypal has been connected to her account (by DD I think) and that is used to syphen off money.

Either somebody set up a PayPal account using the OP's bank account or somebody is using Lastschrift to withdraw pretending to be PayPal or pay.pal or pay-pal etc. I'd definitely contact PayPal and report the fraud. If it's through them, they know which account it is and can help the police figure out who the fraudster is.

20 hours ago, LeonG said:

Either somebody set up a PayPal account using the OP's bank account or somebody is using Lastschrift to withdraw pretending to be PayPal or pay.pal or pay-pal etc. I'd definitely contact PayPal and report the fraud. If it's through them, they know which account it is and can help the police figure out who the fraudster is.

...Which is not possible until you verify that this bank account is yours. They sent 1 eurocent to your account and expect you to type a verification code from the bank statement.

48 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

...Which is not possible until you verify that this bank account is yours. They sent 1 eurocent to your account and expect you to type a verification code from the bank statement.

Yes, this is how it worked when I joined many years ago. They sent $.06 to my account and I had to verify. It took a few days to actually open the account.

Refer to Part 2