Travel to Cardiff, Wales

50 posts in this topic

Tomorrow, we'll try the Brains and malt whiskey

If you have no luck finding Penderyn whisky in a pub, you might get a bottle at the souvenir shop opposite the castle entrance. If not, they might know somewhere else where you can get some.

Keefy, thank you! Finally drank Penderyn whiskey but with a bit of lemonade because it might be too strong for me. It was really good! Also tasted a bit of hubby's Brains Skull Attack and liked it. Roads in town have been closed starting this afternoon for the big rugby festivities tonight until tomorrow . It was snowing heavily from afternoon until mid evening here!

To get to the Museum of Welsh Life you need a No32 from Central Station. From town the journey is about 30-40 minutes if memory serves - and it depends on the road conditions of course. Ask the driver to give you a shout when you get there,although you'll know you are getting close when the houses give way to forest on your right and fields dipping away to your left. In the museum be sure to visit the Celtic/Iron Age Village...they usually have a fire going in the middle on the hearth and on a cold wintery day its quite a nice effect, trying to imagine how people survived in ye olden tymes.

Skip eating in the museum cafe - normally full of screaming nippers and instead take a look at the Plymouth Arms pub which will be opposite the bus stop where you got off (Cannot remember if its a Brains or HB pub). Although now part of a pub chain, the food is still pretty good and what you want from a pub - pies, meat, fish and various sorts of spuds although they will have vege options. Check out the Medieval church and graveyard opposite.

Also worth a look if you time or inclination are Cardiff Castle (it seems steep to get in - best part of a tenner - but you can easily spendthe best part of a day there exploring the castle, the keep, the grounds with its Peacocks (honest) and various exhibitions) and Llandaf (bus 24 or 25 from Central Station). Llandaf is a very quaint village which hasbeen swallowed up by city expansion but rertains its charm...the Medieval cathedral and Bishops Palace (read "Castle"), preaching cross, St Teilio's Well and of course the pubs (try the Butcher's Arms) are all worth a visit. About 15mins from Central on a good day.

Hope this inspires you to see a little bit of Cardiff's history.Have a good trip and stay off the Penderyn...far too young and insipid...you might as well be drinking Famous Grouse ;-)

Taffthedigger, thank you so much. Wow that's a wealth of info about Cardiff! Trying to include as much history and culture exploration as we can here. So many interesting stuff you mentioned! LOL I will look for the Grouse here at the Plymouth later after the rugby game. You can already feel the rugby frenzy in the streets here and the locals said it will even be more festive later!

I had a bloody awesome time, thanks! :D The pubs, restaurants, castle, bay, people, etc. and esp the game at the Millenium Stadium were all fantastic! It was not a boring game at all plus I witnessed Dan Carter and Brad Thorne make history. I am still starstruck up to now, hehe... I am now frantically looking for the video of the game shown in NZ. My friends in NZ called me - they saw me close-up (camera zoom) on tv right before the kick-offs! I saw the camera zoom in on me. I hope I looked pretty on tv, hahahaha!

Great stuff.Well done .Glad you had a good time.I'm from Brecon so i know what it's like in Cardiff on an international day.Was a great game.

Lucky you, it's a beautiful place! International day there was a really vibrant and well-attended festival - roads closed for the merrymakers from all over Europe and even from as far as NZ! I so wanted to visit Brecon but just lacked time. Wanted to see the winery and national park. Yes, really great game I was on the edge of my seat often LOL!

Glad you had a great time! Cardiff has got a lot to give, especially when a game is on. There's no other atmosphere like it!

I was also at the game, I always make a special effort to get back to Wales when the Kiwis are in town. They didn't disappoint, as usual. Excellent fans and a cracking game.

Buzzer, glad you enjoyed the cracking game and electrifying atmosphere. Love Cardiff! I was so awestruck that I was still standing with my mouth hanging open (All Blacks sat to my left) although the game already started. . I was sooooo embarrassed when the security guy beside me gently told me "Ma'am, I think it's time to go to your seat?" I felt like an idiot, hihihi...

post-118138-12912269364885.jpg

post-118138-12912269414547.jpg