Clothes recyling / charity shops

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have just moved to Tübingen from the UK.

After a seemingly endless move we are finally settling a bit and sorting things out.

One thing that I haven't worked out yet is what to do with clothes.

Unfortunately, being pushed for time we didn't do enough of a sort out before we left and we now have quite a lot of clothes we don't want, ranging from pretty worn to almost brand new and quite nice.

In England we would take them to Oxfam or equivalent charity shop - but here I'm not sure.

Our helpful landlord pointed out a charity bin at the local church, but wasn't sure what happens to this stuff. Is it just textile recycling? I would put some in there but I think theres quite a lot that it would be a shame to shred. I searched the forum but didn't find a definitive answer about what is likely to happen to the stuff in the bins.

Also, there is a second hand shop just round the corner from us:

http://www.bellissima.loretto24.de/

This has quite nice second hand clothes, and I'm sure we've got a fair bit of stuff that would be up to their standard. But as far as I can tell there is no charity involved - is this right?

In which case, do we get paid for our old stuff (ie take it in and they make an offer)?

This raises all sorts of questions about haggling and so on!

Finally I found an actual Oxfam shop in Stuttgart but its 40 minutes away so I wanted to try and find out for sure if there were other options first.

Also does Oxfam work the same here? (Ie can we roll up with a load of clothes in bin bags and give it to them to sort out)

So my questions are:

- whats the best thing to do!

- whats the deal with the second hand shop and what could we expect if we took stuff there?

- anything else like oxfam?

Thanks!

PS - I hope this isn't too much of a dupe. I found plenty of charity shop posts but nothing that recent, in BW and also I have the specific question about the local shop so hopefully thats enough novel content!

As far as I know, the "charity" bins are not "charity" bins. They are privately owned. The owners of the bins pay the charity a certain amount of money for using their name on their containers (well ok, a sort of revenue for the charity, so not bad). This, of course, gives you the feeling that the clothes you put in go to the charity - they don't. Often the clothes in the bins are recycled or just sold for money. I saw a programme about this on television. I am not saying I am 100% certain, though.

If I have fairly decent clothes I do not want, I bring them to the charity shops. If they are missing buttons or something, I put them into the bins.

Selling your clothes to a second hand shop: They need to be in good nick. They need to be fashionable etc etc. The shop will give you 1/3 of the price that they plan to sell them for in the shop.

Thanks very much for the info. Interesting that people seem to be making money off it.

So the next question is does anyone know any genuine charity shops in Tübingen/Reutlingen?

If not I guess we will take the nicer stuff to the second hand shop and put the rest in one of the bins anyway.

The German Red Cross has a "Kleiderkammer" in Tübingen. You bring your clothes there, they should be clean and no tears or something, so they can sell them again for like a Euro or two, or also give them away for free to needy families. They also take shoes, toys, stuffed animals, bed linens, down beddings, pillows, fabrics, table cloths and also dishes etc.

Address: Dußlinger Weg 15 in Tübingen.

You can drop off bags with clothes 24/7 over a chute in the back of the building. Business hours are Tuesday 3-6 pm, Wednesday and Thursday 9:30 am - noon. Phone number during business hours: 07071/7000-80.

There are several ones in Reutlingen, too, if you need their addresses or help with translating the page, just send me a message.

http://www.reutlingen.de/ceasy/modules/cms/main.php5?cPageId=431

Like you I miss charity shops in Germany. There are a couple around Berlin called Humana (not to be confused with the baby food brand). I haven't seen one down here, but there are two Humana collection bins near our local branch of Aldi (RT-Sondelfingen). From time to time collection bags for the Altkleidersammlung appear in our postbox, but I am reluctant to give them the clothes because they all appear to be commercial.

I used to buy lots of clothes from second hand shops, but these days I find they have become too selective and snooty. I don't always wear clothes that are in fashion, but this is all you seem to get in the local shops these days :(

Another alternative is the Warentauschtag, I picked up a lovely winter coat from one of the first events before I went to university and wore it for a good few years. There are several events in the region, here is a list for Tübingen and surroundings.

Hope this helps!

As far as I know, all bins and also the Altkleidersammlung where you get the bags in your mailbox are commercial. They sort out good clothes and sell them e.g. in Africa, but most of the stuff just goes to the shredder, is sold by kilo or tons and used to produce insulation or padding material.

That's why I always bring my stuff to a Kleiderkammer.

As far as I know, all bins and also the Altkleidersammlung where you get the bags in your mailbox are commercial. They sort out good clothes and sell them e.g. in Africa...

I knew that coat in Madagascar looked familiar... :lol: