Is the American dream over?

1,339 posts in this topic

Here is another story to show that the American lawmakers are insane.Why tax that sector of the society that is already down and out instead putting a luxury tax on fancy cars or condoms or civil servants or banks or on anyone making $80 000 or more?

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/bad-laws-and-hard-rain

Just saw Clinton was in Prague attending Havel's funeral. Clinton was/is a great figure IMO. Again, I'm not a Democrat or even particularly political - at least insofar as I don't identify myself with the left or the right of the given political spectrum. And I kind of despised Clinton during his first overly PC term. But he rose in my estimation, and honestly would not be out of place in the company of the Founders afaic. I think he aspired to and largely achieved - and continues to achieve - that level of greatness in his intelligence, aspirations, and charisma. If the American Dream is over, the Lewinsky farce was a major nail in the coffin.

From my point of view, the US wasn't so much concerned the American multinationals would have the rights to the fields in Iraq, but rather that someone would invest in the infrastructure to get the oil out of the ground and begin ramping up production asap.

Frankly I'd be pleasantly surprised if anyone will now be able to secure the status quo of oil exploitation in Iraq. The country will go up in flames once again in the next 12 months, and the richest oil fields are in the most volatile und vulnerable regions in Iraq, Kurdistan and Shia regions.

If it goes up in flames or not would not make any difference in NA. The profit remains the same only the excuse gets easier.Blame those damn Arabs.These Arabs are as gullible as the home buyers with nothing down.The fixers on Wallstreet bundle any shit to make a buck on it.

The AAA raters are bought puppets who don't mind a little lying to also make an easy dollar and the government stooges act like the 3 monkeys, hear nothing, see nothing, do nothing.A perfect Merry Christmas operation if you are on the right side of the fence.

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/twas-friday-christmas

President Obama signed the NDAA legislation yesterday, while nobody was looking.

The ACLU issued a statement, which reads in part:

“President Obama's action today is a blight on his legacy because he will forever be known as the president who signed indefinite detention without charge or trial into law,” said Anthony D. Romero, ACLU executive director. “The statute is particularly dangerous because it has no temporal or geographic limitations, and can be used by this and future presidents to militarily detain people captured far from any battlefield. The ACLU will fight worldwide detention authority wherever we can, be it in court, in Congress, or internationally.”

No.

Its still the world's wealthiest country (even though the wealth is unequally distributed) and when the standard becomes low enough, leading to lower salaries, jobs will automatically flow back to US from Asia, esp. if the Yuan is allowed to appreciate vs. the dollar and the trade balance narrows. This won't happen until Chinese salaries rise from $6k to about $35+k per capita.

As for the 1900s style boom, forget it, US/European consumption markets are already saturated and the infrastructure is already developed. Americans (corporations & private investors, not the govt.) will still make a killing though by capitalizing on foreign consumption markets in Asia with a growing middle class.

What happens after the killing has been made on this rising middle class? Well, some people want them to perish so the population can be adjusted down by about 50% from 7 billion to about 3 billion.

(My Optimistic Side)

It isn't over, just in the wrong hands. Though there are some good boomers out there with great business sense and a head for ethics, the fact of the matter remains most are superficial, greedy and ego-centric. This can be seen by the rotten core of D.C. politics with our elected officials running over each other to get one more corporate handout.

Our new generation of leaders lived the good life from cradle until now with a couple of downturns in the way, but nothing compared to what we as millenials are facing. I think once this wave of boomer-leadership dies off and the X'ers start flowing into D.C., we will see a D.C. and America bent on competitiveness, independence (both personal and national) and the ability to think of solutions in the future instead of fighting traditional battles (oil wars, occupations, etc.).

(Pessimistic Side)

It never really began. All was and is an illusion of comfort and plastic existence. The United States and it's current policies are incredibly intolerant and sickening.

American dream? heh. Try American nightmare.

Is it really over?

Half the world's richest 1% live in the USA. Germany is in 2nd place.

That doesn't mean anything other than it's a good place to be rich.

"In the grand scheme of things, even the poorest 5% of Americans are better off financially than two thirds of the entire world."

Yes, when comparing America to 3rd world shitholes we still fair better, but that statement could be applied to any western nations, and when we are compared to that particular third of the world our poor don't have it so great.

we still fair better

fare better. Whatever. :P

I was simply quoting CNN. Don't shoot the messenger. poster. village idiot.

My American dream of owning land is not over... it has only just begun!

One of the main tenets of the "American dream" is that anyone can move up, unlike in the class societies of the old world where one's station was fixed. According to this recent NY Times article, in many European countries (and also in Canada) it's easier to move upwards than in America.

Yet establishing and operating a business is still more costly and complicated in Europe than in the US, and the European economy is still tanking, while the US economy is beginning to show signs of life (the current sentiment seems to be that it hit bottom some time ago).

I think it's an interesting observation that while Europe was still in denial about its (even more severe) problems, the public sentiment seemed so bent on using the US' recession as proof of how the "European dream" was far more sophisticated than the "American Dream", yet, it appears the welfare state of the "European dream" is among the reasons it's teetering on disaster, and every day, new revelations suggesting not only the worst is yet to come, but that the evidence seems to be growing that the Eurozone's prospects seem increasingly limited at best.

Austerity and massive cutbacks, yet no tax breaks in sight (in fact, tax hikes seem to be the order of the day), growing unemployment and resulting burdens on the welfare state... No rational devaluation of the currency, interest rates and inflation still unusually high, a huge and still largely unknown debt burden continuing to grow, and still no tangible recovery plan. Even the Euro-pundits are forced to admit the signs aren't encouraging.

Jury's still out, but if it were only a choice between the two, right now I'd put my money on the US. In fact, I bought a bundle of dollars just before the start of the Euro crash. Already up almost 8% (not bad for 3 months' investment). I'm betting on 30% or more return before year's end.

Jury's still out, but if it were only a choice between the two, right now I'd put my money on the US. In fact, I bought a bundle of dollars just before the start of the Euro crash. Already up almost 8% (not bad for 3 months' investment). I'm betting on 30% or more return before year's end.

Should've stayed with your Swiss Francs - you've lost money versus the USD.

Should've stayed with your Swiss Francs - you've lost money versus the USD.

Yes, the Franc was horribly overvalued just as the Euro is, but at least something was done to manage that crisis, which, unlike in the Eurozone, is no longer a crisis.

Good job I bought Dollars with Euros. With the latest Eurozone doom and gloom, I think my 30% aspirations may be conservative. Some analysts are saying the Euro could bypass par with dollar and go straight into negative territory. Perhaps I should buy another bundle of dollars before the bottom falls out of the Euro in a panic.

Yes, I'll take another $5000, please.

well I just found out that in November the US goverment was being sued for $750 million by victims and relatives of the victims for the shooting at FT Hood.

A quote from the article

The claims, filed under the Federal Tort Claims Act, were made against the FBI and the departments of the Army, Defense and Justice. They were filed last week before the two-year anniversary of the shootings, as the two-year window on filing was set to close.

I really dont know what to think about this.