Where to live in Frankfurt, tips for newcomers

54 posts in this topic

I have a few questions if you don't mind as I have been called by an agent regarding a similar position with similar pay.

How are things cost of living/entertainment wise compared to London?

I saw on the ECB site they have Fixed term or short term contracts. What have you been listed as?

The employment is via Serco, which does concern me, especially if they lose the contract. I don't fancy being caught jobless in Germany in 2 years time.

TheJase,

I moved from London to Frankfurt in January. From my limited experience, I have found the following;

rent is cheaper and no council tax.

drinks can be expensive if you drink in Irish/British pubs.

Mobile contracts seems more expensive. You don't seem to get the same amount of free minutes/texts.

food, some are cheaper but mostly, I have found more expensive. I don't see similar deals here like BOGOF.

(I am comparing getting similar food here as I would in London. I am sure the local stuff isn't more expensive)

Tax is higher?

Beer from supermarket is a lot cheaper and better quality.

Anyway, I am sure there are lots of things that are cheaper but I haven't seen enough of Frankfurt yet.

Cheers.

It all comes down to rent now.

Could I get a decent furnished (including the kitchen) 1 bedroom flat near transport in Schwanheim for around 1000 Euros a month?

rent is cheaper and no council tax.

No council tax? Your apartment "on-costs" (nebencosts) contain land tax, refuse collection, street cleaning and lighting, and other CT equivalents. Higher tax rates account for the rest (education, libraries, theatre etc).

I'd also say Aldi and Lidl and DM and the rest work out as cheaper than London (ie. even Lidl in London) but other stuff is not particularly given the 25% decline in the GBP.

I have reworked the figures and a lack of NHS is a worry. From what I have seen, its 10% gross that goes toward health insurance. Is 1000 Euros a month reasonable for a warm apartment 1 bedroom (bedroom, living room and kitchen) in Schwanheim. Would I still need to pay nebencosts?

The figures looked fanatsic until health insurance had to come off, and at a projected Euro rate of 1.35 the difference (assuming 1000 Euro rent) is £170/month. I figure I won't live in Germany forever, 5-7 years is about right, so unless the cost of living is significantly lower, its not really worth putting my life on hold for £2000 a year (clear). £4000-£5000 clear a year would be the ballpark figure.

I have reworked the figures and a lack of NHS is a worry.

Really? I would not worry about that at all!

From what I have seen, its 10% gross that goes toward health insurance.

I think it is 15,5% of your gross with your employer paying half.

Is 1000 Euros a month reasonable for a warm apartment 1 bedroom (bedroom, living room and kitchen) in Schwanheim. Would I still need to pay nebencosts?

You don't say the actual size of apartments in metres and if it is furnished or not but I would personally say that is on the expensive side. You can easily find a one bedroom apartment for a single person in an area much better than Schwanheim for about 700€ warm a month.

The figures looked fanatsic until health insurance had to come off, and at a projected Euro rate of 1.35 the difference (assuming 1000 Euro rent) is £170/month. I figure I won't live in Germany forever, 5-7 years is about right, so unless the cost of living is significantly lower, its not really worth putting my life on hold for £2000 a year (clear). £4000-£5000 clear a year would be the ballpark figure.

Of course I have no idea how you have calculated your figures but you have to remember yes you pay more for your health insurance, but the quality of service you get is so much better and you won't have to pay charges for dentists etc and prescriptions and the like if you need them are much cheaper.

I think the cost of living here is generally lower. Also you don't say what job you are doing, how old you are or what your experience is but I am sure that working for the ECB can only look excellent on your CV and might be worth it anyway. I don't quite understand your putting your life on hold comment either, not the extra money you want out of it. To be honest, depending on your circumstances, I think you'd be mad not to jump at the chance.

I think it is 15,5% of your gross with your employer paying half.

15,5% is correct, but it is 15,5% of your gross salary or the Beitragsbemessungsgrenze' (currently 3,712,50 a month) whichever is the lower, which makes the maximum employee contribution 304,43 euros a month. In addition you may get stiffed with a one time payment if your public insurer decides that the monthly contributions are insufficient to cover its costs. With the DAK this is currently around another 80 euros a year. This is public insurance, you may be able to get a better deal with private, if you are young and single.

Size wise... hmm about 70 m/s all in all. Thats a decent sized bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom and toilet.

From what I have seen a travelcard is 70E a month, which is less than half my current costs.

I'm 37 going on 38 BTW.

I will need to send money back to the UK, at least until my cards and loans are paid off. I assume is a 20E charge for a SWIFT payment?. I was calculating a 500E payment for health insurance, so a 300E max is a good thing.

I think you'd get a reasonable place that size for less than 1000€ warm.

Don't forget with the travelcard expenses you can offset this from your tax too, so you'll get money back on it. Have you asked company you will be working for about´travel money or a jobticket as some offer this.

Personally when I compare my salary and standard of living relatively to what my brother has in London I think I am on a much better deal and can do many more things.

Hi everyone! I am in Frankfurt this week looking at apartments (I will be moving to Frankfurt from the US in a couple months). I've read through a lot of the discussions and I think I have a good idea about a lot the neighborhoods now. Is there anyone here that can give a general idea of the demographics of the major neighborhoods in Frankfurt (Sachsenhausen, Westend, Nordend, Bockenheim, Bornheim)? Are they all similarly mixed, or do the neighborhoods really feel different people-wise. Also is there a big difference in how much bars, restaurants, and cafes cost by neighborhood?

Also, the realtor said she is going show me some places in Dornbusch. Does anyone know anything about that neighborhood?

Thanks! Any help is really appreciated!

Hello Everyone, 

I realize that this is a very old thread but I'm hoping that someone can give me an updated insight on where to live.

My husband and I are moving to Frankfurt in a few months and we are kind of lost when it comes to the place to live.

My husband will be working in Schwalbach but we're hoping to live in a lively town (nothing that sleeps at 5 or 6)

Our budget is around 1300 EUR/month including utilities. Hopefully a 2 bedroom apartment. 

We don't plan on owning a car so places that are accessible through public transportation and bicycle would be our first choice. We're also hoping for a place that would be maximum a 40 minute commute to work (he's willing to bike to work if possible)

We've asked around and so far we've narrowed it down to Hoechst and Sachsenhausen. 

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks a lot for your help

I am not entirely sure if you have already narrowed it down to Hoechst and Sachsenhausen if you are asking us to pick within these two? I am not so familiar with either, but I love Bockenheim and you have a direct train S3 connection to Schwalbach am Taunus for work. There is a lively shopping street and also some good places to eat within walking distance. And very easy access to the center via u-bahn in 5 minutes. Should also work with your budget. Try to live as close to Legziger str. as possible.

Don't forget to factor the monthly train pass into your expenses (unless your husband gets a job ticket from work).

Depending on where you're coming from, I would generally forego Hoechst if you want the city close by. Hoechst is practically a satellite town of Frankfurt, and not really contiguous with where the main stuff is. Sachsenhausen is nice, but yes, Bockenheim would be cooler (and not as loud as it isn't below the most heavily used flightpath in Frankfurt), and closer to Schwalbach by bike and train.

You might also get away with foregoing the monthly ticket if you're willing to bike most of the time. I do, and if I really need to take the tram I can still do so while saving at least 50 euro/month. Frankfurt is generally small for most of what you need to do.

I am going to mostly repeat what @NomadicCanuck has already said. Hoechst and Sachsenhausen are odd choices for what you want. The obvious choice is Bockenheim: Leipziger Strasse is the liveliest and nicest street but Adalbert Strasse and Schlosstrasse also have a lot of nightime activity with many bars and restaurants. You'd probably want to live closest to Frankfurt Main West train station for an easy commute to Schwalbach.

You might also want to consider Gallus. It's a bit run down. Twenty years ago it was probably the least desirable neighborhood in Frankfurt but it's been gentrified since and it's certainly not sleepy, although it cannot match the coolness appeal of Bockenheim.