Recycling in NRW

14 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding recycling, I live in a dorm near the Uni where I study at, and they do not provide bins for recycling/separating waste. And because of that, I would separate garbage that are recyclable (paper and boxes, plastic bottles, and metal containers like hairspray cans) and dispose them at supermarkets and drugstores like dm where recycling bins are provided, and I have done this for the past one year I have lived here in Germany. Everything else would go into the dumpster at the dorm.

Until today. I was at dm sorting out my plastic bottles and spray cans for recycling, as I would normally do when I shop there. The cashier who was in charge suddenly rudely yelled at me to not throw my rubbish there and that those bins were only for products bought from the store. So I told her that some of these products were actually bought from the store and some of them aren´t, so am I supposed to bring my receipt with me to prove this to you? And she replied Well, you are only allowed to dispose products purchased from the store, anything else can't be disposed here. Pretty much dumbfounded by her rudeness and her yelling at me in front of the other customers, I just left the store and went over to Edeka where such bins are also provided for recycling.

This got me wondering whether the woman at dm was right about the garbage, because where I come from, one can just recycle rubbish at ANY recycling bin. I just thought that those recycling bins were like those glass recycling bins that are on the street where anybody can just use them to recycle glass. And if she is right about this, does this mean that I am also not allowed to use the recycling bins provided at supermarkets? How then can I recycle?

I have two classmates who come from Duisburg for language classes. I think they are uni students there, so I will ask your question of them on Monday. Scheiss, I am sorry, you are in Düsseldorf. I hope you get your answer. It is hard to believe that they wouldn't have recycling centers at your uni, however. They would have to pay to haul more trash, otherwise, and get frowned upon for contributing so much non-recycleable waste.

Those are meant to be used on the way out of the store so you can dispose of things like packaging on your way out. Bringing in rubbish to sort I imagine could get the same response anywhere, people may just ot have said anything before. But I was told very sternly to do so except on the way out is improper and waste dumping, just like they mark all the public bins for trash, no household garbage.

My husband agrees he said not allowed, you put packaging there on the way out like the box around frozen pizzas or plastic around the bottles of water, but you do not bring trash in to sort it is not a public recycling center it is a service provided by the store. He said he would not even take back emty containers from the store that would go to the recyling hof. That is the German response :)

My suggestion would be to go to your local recyling hof, that is the norm when bins are not provided.

There's usually a paper container right next to the ones for glass. Plastic bottles and metal cans would go into the household waste if your dorm doesn't have yellow bins.

I have a question regarding recycling, I live in a dorm near the Uni where I study at, and they do not provide bins for recycling/separating waste. And because of that, I would separate garbage that are recyclable (paper and boxes, plastic bottles, and metal containers like hairspray cans) and dispose them at supermarkets and drugstores like dm where recycling bins are provided, and I have done this for the past one year I have lived here in Germany. Everything else would go into the dumpster at the dorm.

Until today. I was at dm sorting out my plastic bottles and spray cans for recycling, as I would normally do when I shop there. The cashier who was in charge suddenly rudely yelled at me to not throw my rubbish there and that those bins were only for products bought from the store. So I told her that some of these products were actually bought from the store and some of them aren´t, so am I supposed to bring my receipt with me to prove this to you? And she replied Well, you are only allowed to dispose products purchased from the store, anything else can't be disposed here. Pretty much dumbfounded by her rudeness and her yelling at me in front of the other customers, I just left the store and went over to Edeka where such bins are also provided for recycling.

Fanny idea! :D I can imagine, that the woman was annoyed, because the shop hast to pay for the recycling bins.

Those are meant to be used on the way out of the store so you can dispose of things like packaging on your way out. Bringing in rubbish to sort I imagine could get the same response anywhere, people may just ot have said anything before. But I was told very sternly to do so except on the way out is improper and waste dumping, just like they mark all the public bins for trash, no household garbage.

My husband agrees he said not allowed, you put packaging there on the way out like the box around frozen pizzas or plastic around the bottles of water, but you do not bring trash in to sort it is not a public recycling center it is a service provided by the store. He said he would not even take back emty containers from the store that would go to the recyling hof.

That's right.

The procedure depends from where you live exactly:

E.g. for plastic they provide yellow bins "Gelbe Tonne"or bags. The ordering is the task of the house owner.

For paper your "Vermieter" can order a "Papiertonne", if there is enough space. Otherwise you can use the public paper containers.

If you have problems just put it in the garbage bin.

Alles klar, now I know what to do with my rubbish... Hope this wasn't a stupid question. I was just really surprised, it's no wonder hardly anyone at the dorm ever recycles. Btw there is no container for recycling paper next to the ones for glass, for public use. There used to be one but it has been taken away for some months now, I have been bringing paper/cardboard boxes with me to supermarkets where they have a bin for Papier/Karton.

Every city has a recycling hof where you can recycle just about anything. You should check out if there is one near by.

There are also usually small centers but those generally only have newspaper, glass and metal throughout the city.

Look at the post directly above. My city has bins for tins, brown white and green glass and newspapers.

@Fwoggie

Follow this link - click on Wohin mit dem Müll - (English version) which tells you where to throw away stuff.

http://www.bonn.de/umwelt_gesundheit_planen_bauen_wohnen/abfallplaner/broschueren_zur_Abfallwirtschaft/index.html

I live in Dusseldorf, and I'm very confused about recycling.

Paper, Cardboard, Glass, and Bio matter I understand - communal roadside bins. tick.

Taking plastic bottles (e.g. water) back to the supermarket for the deposit refund I understand. tick.

Getting rid of packaging at the supermarket I understand. tick.

There are huge yellow plastic bins at my apartment, and smaller green plastic bins.  The green bins appear to be for bio matter, the yellow bins appear to be for everything that isn't paper, glass, or bio matter.

Therefore where I'm lost is something like a plastic fabric softener bottle - it seems as if everyone at my apartment complex combines something like this with normal household waste into the yellow bins.

I'd like to recycle correctly, but being new to living in Germany I'm unsure if other people are doing it wrong or if I'm missing another option that isn't immediately apparent to me.