Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cheap fabric store for sewing projects

30 posts in this topic

Hello - I am looking for a fabric store in Munich with lots of selection and low prices. Please no suggestions for designer stores, but rather for everyday/discount/warehouse type places. I am thinking something like KiK/IKEA but for fabrics. I find the selection at Karstadt Marienplatz measly. It doesn't have to be in downtown Munich, but it would be nice if it would be accessible by public transit. Back home, I used to go to "Fabricland" and it was perfect for little DIY sewing projects. Thanks a million, Toytowners!! Cheers!

post-106661-12884320939609_thumb.jpg

If only there was somewhere like you describe...

Since there is no Karstadt at Marienplatz, I assume you are referring to Kaufhof. Anyway, other places to buy fabric are Karstadt Hauptbahnhof and Karstadt Oberpollinger (4th floor of the new part of the building, they have only recently moved the fabric back here). You may occasionally get a bargain in the offcut bin, but otherwise it's not particularly cheap if you are used to the prices you can get at places like Jo-Anns in the states.

Alfatex, Stoffkontor and Stoffekontor are all online shops (there´s another thread somewhere where they are all linked) and I've heard good things about Stoffmarkt Holland, but managed to miss the Munich one, although it should be back again in the spring.

Your other option is to buy fabric online, but don't forget that if you are ordering from outside the EU, you will have to pay tax once you get over the threshold level.

There is some fabric store at the SW-corner of Schwanthalerstr. with Hermann-Lingg-Str. with a fair selection of fabrics and, if I remember correctly, at least some of them at good prices. You may want to look for Reste or Resteverkauf or Fabrikreste to get great prices.

You can get cheap fabric at some of the arab fabric stores near the Hauptbanhof, much cheaper than Kaufhof anyway although I wouldn't describe the choice as huge.

Dachauerstr. 76 (just up from Stiglmaierplatz). The Vietnamese have recently moved into cheap fabrics.

Yep, I meant Kaufhof. Sorry. I went to "Stoff Outlet" yesterday on Dachauerstr. The man was helpful, the prices reasonable, but the selection was disappointing compared to what I am used to back home. I want bright, saturated colours and all I can find are dull patterns. I like the idea of the Arabic stores near Hauptbahnhof and the online shopping! I will re-post if I hit the "motherload" somewhere, sometime. Thanks again! Happy Halloween!

There is a (small) shop at the corner of Tegernseer Landstr/St Bonifatius Str in Giesing. I've never been inside, but in their shop window they have some lovely patterned stuff, colourful and all. Might be worth a try. Dunno the name though, I will see if I can pop down that way later today and check.

Postmann is talking about the shop called DISCOUNT-STOFF - orange facade. Unfortunately the name is misleading but it would still be worth going as they do have a lot of choice and plenty of remnants going cheap.

I found a discussion about this from a few years ago... Fabric stores.

Every time I wander by/through the fabric section in the Karstadt, I think I will have to give up sewing. Lovely things, but I can't afford to pay their prices! My sewing skills aren't yet good enough to justify the layout on such pricey fabric and after getting basic solid jersey at US$6/yard from fabric.com (oh, how I miss you!), 12 Euro/meter is way way way too much to pay.

Karstadt at Hauptbahnhof has quite a few reductions on fabric at the moment. Some of it was down to €6 per metre. If I'm there again in the next few days I'll try to note what exactly is reduced.

On a related note, does anyone know any online shops with cheap fabric?

The cheapest I've seen is Stoffkontor. No idea about their quality, but they do send samples for about €1 and the fabric starts at around €4 for some of the plain jersey and less for some of the cottons.

Watch out for the reduced fabric at Karstadt.

I bought some in Berlin, at €6 per meter, reduced from something about four times that. Washed it before sewing, and the color ran like crazy even though it was meant to be colorfast. Still never sewn anything with it, and probably never will.

Stoffmarkt Holland, when it returns in spring, is definitely worth a visit. Went for the first time last weekend and bought lots of cotton in nice bright colors at €5 per meter.

I was in the Karstadt (Hauptbahnhof) earlier in the week and bought some reduced-price fabric. What's been pre-washed so far hasn't run. They have a huge heap of remnants going cheap, including some really nice 1.5-2m lengths of wool suiting for 6-10 Euro (for the piece), some poly-blend or all poly jerseys in crazy funky prints going for as little as 3.50/meter, other poly-blend jerseys for 6 and 9 Euro/meter, some printed silks for 10/meter, some wool suitings for 15/meter. Jo Ann Fabric prices it is not, but I did go home with just under 10 meters of various fabrics having spent just over 50 Euro.

Watch out for the reduced fabric at Karstadt.

I bought fabric that has now been reduced to make my Dirndl last year, it has survived every wash and ironing. You have to know your fabric when taking advantage of the sale, true.

there is a warehouse in HAAR, right near the trainstation that has 3 stories of great fabrics and all kinds of threads/utensils. i will try and remember what is was called, but they had great prices and tons of fabrics for winter and summer!

frautulpe.de has beautiful things too...the store is in berlin, but you can order online!