CDU Confederation wants to change Kindergeld

11 posts in this topic

Their idea is to make Kindergeld payable only to children who have at least one parent who was an EU citizen prior to Jan. 1, 2000. I don't think this has any chance of becoming law, but here's the article (in German): CDU Senior Confederation Wants to Take Kindergeld from Immigrants. IMHO, it's next to impossible to see this disgraceful proposal as anything other than xenophobic.

Yea. They'd probably be better off back in the Balkans or Afghanistan, etc. If this goes through, I can see those guys streaming out of Germany.

Tempest in a teacup. If you're on Hartz IV, you don't get extra Kindergeld anyway (it's deducted from your support payment). And if you earn more than €67,000 (€35,000 for singles), the child exemption for income taxes is worth more than the Kindergeld.

I agree that they should STFU and GBT sitting on park benches and feeding pigeons, however.

So much for integration, eh?

Ah but this is CDU genius. The smelly foreigners should be going out to work and integrating whilst the mothers of those beautiful German born and bred children should be at home doing KKK things.

Explain that bit about the exemption vs kindergeld. Don't quite understand.

You currently get a Kinderfreibetrag of €7,008 for each child (if you file jointly; if you file separately, you each get half, or €3,504). The figures I quoted above are the threshold above which your taxes are reduced by more than the €2,208 that you receive in Kindergeld (for the first and second children). The Finanzamt does something called a Günstigerprüfung with your tax return each year automatically to see which is more advantageous to you.

But enough talk about taxes - let's cackle, rub our hands together, and scheme some more to take money away from the smelly foreigners...

and scheme some more to take money away from the smelly foreigners...

Smelly working but with low income foreigners.

You currently get a Kinderfreibetrag of €7,008 for each child (if you file jointly; if you file separately, you each get half, or €3,504). The figures I quoted above are the threshold above which your taxes are reduced by more than the €2,208 that you receive in Kindergeld (for the first and second children). The Finanzamt does something called a Günstigerprüfung with your tax return each year automatically to see which is more advantageous to you.

But enough talk about taxes - let's cackle, rub our hands together, and scheme some more to take money away from the smelly foreigners...

Actually, you get both. Kindergeld is payed monthly by the Familienkasse of the Arbeitsamt. Those payments are then added to your taxable income, but you also get the Kinderfreibetrag which means in the end you save more taxes than you pay on the Kindergelt.

Anyway, low as my opinion of the CDU is, I still can believe they made this proposal...