Cost of orthodontics in/around Ansbach-Nuremburg

4 posts in this topic

I realize that every case is different depending on the person, but I was trying to find out a general idea of how much the Cost of Orthodontics (Braces) in/around the Ansbach or Nuremburg area ran. (this would be for a young teenager)

I found a topic in Munich that says just a consult was 500-600 Euro. Has anyone in here had to go to a German dentist to get braces? Is this consult fee norm for this area? I know back in the states we didn't pay for the 'initial consult'. How much was the total for everything involved in getting braces?

There is only one dentist in the area that is on the Tricare list but since I am civilian I pay cash and don't have dental insurance and so I wanted to know what to expect before I go in the office (like if I'm supposed to pay 600 Euro right there on that visit or what). I realize braces are expensive but are we looking at 2k Euro, 5k Euro, 10k Euro, who know?

I'm in the Ansbach area but Nuremburg isn't too far to drive for a good orthodontist. Thanks

Cass

Hi there. I am getting braces in the upcoming months, so I thought I would throw in what I know. I am getting mine here in Bamberg, which is about 40 minutes north of Nürnberg, so I'd imagine that the prices are roughly the same.

What I really want to know is why don't you have insurance? You mentioned TriCare, which is the insurance provided by the US Military (from what I've read/heard). Do you have TriCare or not? Are you in the military? If you are, you should have insurance provided to you. And even if you are a spouse of a soldier, you should have insurance. Even more, if you are a child of a soldier, you should have insurance provided to you.

I have insurance. When I had the initial consultation for my braces I paid nothing. He looked at my teeth and said roughly what it would cost and how long I would need the braces. (1 year + 2,000 Euros.) This was a lot better than what I had heard from my previous orthodontist in the USA. (3 years + 5,000 Dollars.) I knew that my insurance would not cover my braces, as I am 24 and they are not "needed", and I forgot to ask if the orthodontist would take private payments at the time. I ended up going again and had to pay 10 Euros for the visit. (This was my co-pay. I'd imagine because it was in another quarter in the year.)

I ended up finding out that my insurance will pay for the treatment if I get surgery to widen my upper mouth. (The top is smaller across than the bottom, which has created a crossbite.) So, surgery means insurance pays. No surgery and only braces means I pay. I'm going for the surgery! My teeth will look a lot better in the end, and I save money!

Anyways, moral of the story is get insurance. If I was to pay privately, it would be 2,000 Euros, and I have no idea what the initial consultation is. Luckily my orthodontist would allow me to make payments privately. You should at least call a few places, ask if they take private patients, payments, and see if they charge for the initial consultation.

I did check into insurance, but it won't really work. We do have two different insurances - however - dental is excluded from health coverage unless it is needed as a result of an accident. Even private insurance will only pay a small amount for orthodonics under their dental policies. Tricare will only pay if you have the supplemental dental plan and that is only 50% of their allowed cost (usually 1/2 of what it really costs)up to a lifetime max of $1500 per family - after a waiting period. Federal Employee Health Benefit plans are similar - low 50-60% payout after 12-24 month waiting period for ortho with a $2000 max per family per lifetime. Long story short - it cost more to pay for the insurance through the waiting period than it would be to pay cash for what they would cover if you filed with them.

Okay, understandable with the insurance bit.

I would still encourage you to open your local phone book, and call around to Orthodontist office's. (Look for "Kieferorthopäde.") When they answer the phone ask if they speak English. (Mine does!) Then it'll be easier to ask about consultation, payments, etc.