Finding a part-time job in Germany

17 posts in this topic

At this moment I'm taking the course to make the test B2 at the VHS here in Mönchengladbach, is an intensive course, 3 mornings per week, 4 hours per lesson. I thought I could still find a part-time job, thinking I could use my afternoons to work, but everytime I enter in a place where they search 'teilzeit aushilfe' they reply to me 'oh, but you study, no, we need flexible people, if you need to be here in the morning or in the night, you got to be able to do it, sorry' :blink:

What it's part-time work in Germany then? If I only got the afternoons off, and I need those 2 other mornings in the weeks that I don't got lessons to actually do my homeworks and prepare myself for the test, how am I suppose to be flexible?? :(

Anyone with similar experiences?

In which area are you looking for a part-time job (waiting, cashier at the supermarket, dog sitter)? Some jobs do need flexible workers while others actually can work with your schedule.

I'm looking for a job in different things, from working in a shop to calling center agent or waitress, my big 'but' is that I don't got much experience and I don't got a diploma, but hey, that's why I'm studying here, so next year I can enter in the Uni. :( Germany is all about your experience and having a diploma even for working at mcdonals. <_<

Look at the stuff in shop / bakery windows. That's often fairly fixed (Rewe or whatever). So is a lot of the early work that goes on before the rest of us wake up (the likes of DM often advertise for 0600 workers, so do the newspapers / mail etc).

In the big cafe chains, workers often just sign up for the slots they want. You can choose to be "fixed" or not, the number of hours etc. If I wanted casual work of my choosing, that is 100% where I'd look first.

I don't agree with you that it is about experience. In many fields, it's about contacts and being a known quantity now! The work gets passed round. Mates working in these places and / or actually being a customer (The job-site pitch of the biggest one round my way is basically "already a customer? well, why not work here then!"). I get such places angling for me to join them even though they know it is in no way my profession - but I am a known quantity, they know I know how they work, I am liked / trusted etc etc! If you know people and they see you positively and trust you, lack of experience tends to get overlooked.

I worked at as a cashier at my local supermarket months before my wedding. No previous experience whatsoever. Back then I had a normal job too, so my part-time job had to work around it. Mostly I worked Friday nights and weekends.

How about work at weekends for you? Would that be an option?

I slightly disagree with you on the point that you need to have experience or even certificates for part-time jobs. You just need that extra bit of luck to be at the right time at the right place.

...having a diploma even for working at mcdonals.

I completely disagree with you there.

While McDonald's is not my dream job, it is my work place right now. My German language skills are far from perfect, and I do not have a university degree. (Working on finishing that..) I work at McD's part-time (35+ hours per week). I am not a student here in Germany, but there are MANY university students working there. All of them have given the boss their school schedules and asked to work around them. The thing to remember is that when you are a student, you can only work so many hours per week/month. All of those students that I work with have mini-jobs. (400 euro basis.)

Yes, this "must have a diploma to serve" food is a total myth. All you need is the ability to walk, carry, speak and be nice. Some of the people I did the integration course with were at McD's, right from the start (A1-A2). And I mean semi-literate war refugees, not us privileged, educated westerners. A lot depends on the state of the local employment market. In the better-off places there is far more of this sort of work than people available / who want to do it. That leaves fairly easy pickings if you do :) . Speaking is the key of course (and then listening) - those are the priortity skills for this.

I'd reemphasise my earlier point. If you can connect with people and basically be nice, your workmates will carry you through the occasional glitches (those guys from the course tended to work in the same place as their mates) and your customers will probably overlook them too.

Also, of course, the likes of McD's and the sort of places I mentioned are the multikulti / global havens. Totally normal to be immigrant, not native German speaker etc.

Also, of course, the likes of McD's and the sort of places I mentioned are the multikulti / global havens. Totally normal to be immigrant, not native German speaker etc.

That's definitely the truth!

About 50% of my coworkers are immigrants. Home countries from my coworkers include: Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Russia, Sri Lanka, Kenya, New Zealand, and, mine of course, USA.

Thanks for all your replies!

Well, Mcdonals was just an example, I'm just saying what my experience in job hunting has been here so far, they won't hire me because I don't got a diploma in anything yet. And the places where they wanted to hire me, they wanted me to work in black for them :huh: I'm waiting to finish my B2 course and give the test to see if with that level of german I can get a chance somewhere. I've also been told that my german is not good enough to work in a shop like H&M or C&A yet...

Anyways, thanks for your feedback, will keep on trying ;)

Don't give up! I had to apply at McDonald's 4 times before I finally got a call back/interview. Yes, FOUR times!

hello, is this thread alive?

just want to ask feedback regarding McDo part-time job contract. How does it go? Working 120 hours per month, like 4hrs per day, is it bounded by time?

I am asking becoz at this moment I am studying Deutsch and about to take part time in McDo.

But say in 2-3 months, I am done with my integration course then I wish to be working in my field, I am woried that the contract for part time maybe bounded by say 2 years for example but during the signing I cannot fully understand that it is indicated therein, I may be trapped. Also the manager does not speak English. :( but I bet, he can understand.

What type of work permit do you have?  Unless you're married to a German (or EU) national, you won't be allowed to work unskilled jobs.

My husband is an EU Blue Card Holder.

I think i am allowed since no limitation is stated in my work permit. I also have pending applications in my field but I think with no good German, it is impossible for me to have it but still I am hopeful to have it soon. So if that comes, can I freely get off from McDo as a part time Job worker? ( 120 hrs per month)

The general rule in Germany is that you can quit your job with proper notice and you are not stuck anywhere for as long as 2 years.  In the probation period of 6 months, you can usually quit with 2 weeks notice and after you have worked for 6 months, it would be 4 weeks to the 15th or to the end of the month.  That is unless your contract specifies longer notice periods.  A first contract is usually fixed time as well so if you get say a one year contract, you can still quit with proper notice but even if you don't, the contract ends after one year unless you and your employer agree to extend it.

I agree that you should not sign something you don't fully understand.  Ask to take the contract home with you before you sign it.   If you have no German speaking friends who can help you understand it, scan it in, cover your personal info and post it here and I am sure somebody will help you with it.

Hi LeonG,

thank you so much for this comprehensive information.

yeah, i should do as you advised. i took some rest because i had a procedure in my teeth that  needs a longer rest. 

after this, i will pursue the Mcdo job and have that in mind. thanks a lot. so helpful!

Hi TTers,

A friend is looking for a teilzeit job only night shifts from 4 pm in the areas of data entry and the like in Frankfurt. Please, anyone with a piece of good information to let me know or share it here. Thank you.