Buying power, inflation and others

104 posts in this topic

On 03/04/2022, 13:14:10, pmd said:

Apparently people are using cooking oil in diesel motors so this is also affecting availability. My local Netto has a one bottle per household sign - I assumed it was one bottle by oil type and took one olive and one cooking but the cashier told me to choose which one I wanted. I chose olive and the old guy behind me said 'I'll take the cooking oil so'.

Actually that would not be a great idea, but there are a few people who got it working.

I hear heating oil is largely the same thing as people put in cars, so I am surprised I don't see people using that.

On 03/04/2022, 19:36:26, fraufruit said:

Wow! We fill up a 35 l plastic bag every 2 or 3 days with rubbish. That means the things we don't recycle like paper, plastic, glass, etc.

If you actually cook things as opposed to warming up ready meals, you generate a lot of compost rubbish.

I mix this with with shredded paper / toilet roll centres / kitchen roll centres / thin cardboard, newspapers etc, all shredded and thrown into a compost bin.

Makes for lovely compost after a while. Plants love it.

I really do hate, however, when they wrap everything in plastic. This goes to the yellow bags, which they burn, but honestly I am perfectly happy with a cucumber which is not wrapped in plastic. 

I have no real estate for a bio bin in my kitchen. Should be no problem in the Restmüll when it is biodegradable. 

All of the paper items that you just mentioned go in the paper Tonne.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Several supermarket chains announced price hikes in double digit area in recent days, e.g. butter up to 30% is to be expected. Meat and sausage similar. Vegetables and fruits.

https://www.waz.de/panorama/aldi-lidl-rewe-edeka-kaufland-preise-steigen-id234976089.html

There was a rumour that Lidl and Aldi will increase prices by between 20 and 50%, the only ones to have done that have been Edeka who always seemed expensive and have always been quick to put prices up to the point where I look at the price of certain things and just say to my wife no, I'll get it at Lidl. Prime example is milk, they've been selling their own brand Bio for 1.17 a litre for well over a year now, Bananas are twice the price as Lidl as well. As for Butter, they were really taking the piss at one stage.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

How many do you have left to bleach?

Just need to buy a new battery for my old-fashioned calculator! Doesn't look good, though!

Top teeth or lower ones? ( Hint: the lower ones are a bridge, sorted out by a Greek dentist ( cash only ) who had never done a bridge before - but her mother had!😂 )

Went to Edeka yesterday and now they had huge 10L cans of rapeseed oil on sale for €19,99. I asked an employee if they have become a wholesale supermarket. He smiled. 

It was like this with loo paper during Covid.  The producers had lots of the wrong sort.  That is, the ones companies, pubs, etc use, huge rolls but with lockdown not needed.  We also have no flour here, or loo paper.    Or oil. 

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

10 L would get pretty rank before we could use it all.  Restaurant size.

I guess it could be shared around friends and neighbours.  Perhaps they should offer a free funnel with each container.

I have flour that is out of date.  But weavel free.  And smells and tastes okay, not rancid.   So my hot cross buns plans can proceed.

On 05/04/2022, 18:23:32, mtbiking said:

beer and pizza it is then :ph34r:

Nonsense.

Beer and Döner is the best diet. Döner (mit allem) gives you "your five a day” and you don't have having to worry about anything.

Except gastroenteritis and food posioning.

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

How do you know what your friends and neighbors cook with? We just aren't so intimate with our neighbors.

Sure.  I pretty much only use olive.   For everything.  Even chinese style things (sorry folks, you are allowed to shudder).  This is because I used to buy different oils, but they did not get used enough.   And I am not stupid enough to think what I am doing is chinese cuisine.  Just something that tastes nice with ginger garlic, spring onions.   Ditto "Indian" foods.  But it tastes good. 

Edit: And far superior to anything I can get in Heidelberg.  

On 5.4.2022, 18:26:07, fraufruit said:

Fish sticks tonight.

Have you tried the fish stick pizza?    Or was it an April Fool's joke?   Also, if you are into Indian food, fish finger bhorta is really good.  You can sub the ingredients if you cannot, say, get coriander.  You can cut all sorts of corners.  Still a great idea.

Fish Finger Bhorta | Nigella's Recipes | Nigella Lawson

17 minutes ago, tor said:

fish stick pizza1.jpg

On 5.4.2022, 18:26:07, fraufruit said:

Fish sticks tonight.

Nice pic.  But have you actually eaten it?