Buying power, inflation and others

104 posts in this topic

We split out food waste, we use old paper bags to put it and have a mini pedal bin that sits on the work surface in the kitchen to put it in, about 5 litre capacity I think. Most plastic goes in the yellow sacks and paper /cardboard that isn't smothered in brown tape goes in the paper waste bag.That leaves us with vacuum cleaner waste, a bit of plastic that can't be recycled, the trays inside plastic containers for things like Chicken or Fish, wrapping for butter and just general small bits, that's it really. Bathroom waste is in a separate bag to start with but that is so little it fits in the general waste bag to go down once a week.

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Call me when mortgages are at 19% again.

Would that lead to the fall of property prices?

On 20.10.2010 18:51:43, Goodbye_BlueSky said:

I remember a friend of mine got a job as SW Developer in München in 2001,and was getting ca. 90-95K DM. It was after the dot.com bust.

Another one I know got a job in München last year (after a German Semi went belly-up),at 46K EUR. Both had similar background/experiences...market were similarly tight in both cases.

I personally think 90k DM had much more buying power than 46k Eur...even if they were equal,average starting salaries haven't hiked much last 10 years (at least in Germany),rather have tanked a little. Many companies now try to stay out of tarif scales, meaning less pay.

At the same time, the 20 DM Schönes Wochenende ticket became 37 Eur... bahn prices get 3-5% higher every year...As does many other prices like gas,house-rent,electricity etc etc. The only thing that stayed stable is the prices at Super markets...thanks to Herr. Aldi:)

What's your take? Did we (living in Germany) get richer or poorer last 10 years?

Adli rounded all the prices down when the €uro was introduced😉

20 minutes ago, TurMech said:

Would that lead to the fall of property prices?

People on variable mortgages right now might default.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

People on variable mortgages right now might default.

this is absolutely not the standard in Germany.

I’d say prices will deflate as the demand will necessarily be less, but whether we’ll see it in nominal terms I have no idea. If inflation stays high there’s a strong likelihood real estate prices will decrease in real terms but keep their nominal value in €€.  And the really wealthy will protect their assets in real estate anyway in that case, as they don’t need loans, just an inflation edge.  Or they’ll crash: I could see a big correction happening, it would be healthy long term anyway.

oh, and another thing: high interest rates + continued demand for housing = higher rents. Expect them to jump in the next year or two.

8 minutes ago, French bean said:

There are reports going around that food prices in Germany from tomorrow will increase by 20 - 50%.

There are rumors about everything.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

There are reports going around that food prices in Germany from tomorrow will increase by 20 - 50%. I checked some of these stories and they seem to be printed on small obscure websites as well as feeding the rumour mill on reddit and FB. Here's what the Local says.

https://www.thelocal.de/20220401/german-consumers-to-be-hit-by-further-price-hikes-in-supermarkets/

So you link to a small, obscure website. 

10 hours ago, mtbiking said:

this is absolutely not the standard in Germany.

Hence the 'might'. RIF

12 hours ago, mtbiking said:

I could see a big correction happening, it would be healthy long term anyway.

This, along with the stock market crash?

12 hours ago, mtbiking said:

oh, and another thing: high interest rates + continued demand for housing = higher rents. Expect them to jump in the next year or two.

Rents are rising every year regardless of the interest rates or inflation due to the supply/demand issue. As the people from Ukraine will be needing a place to live, the situation will worsen i assume.

This morning I went to Aldi, Famila, and Rewe, all before 9am.

Only at Famila I could buy flour, very expensive Bio Dinkel and Roggen. No hard limit on purchase, just they ask to think about other mitmenschen too.

13 hours ago, French bean said:

There are reports going around that food prices in Germany from tomorrow will increase by 20 - 50%. I checked some of these stories and they seem to be printed on small obscure websites as well as feeding the rumour mill on reddit and FB. Here's what the Local says.

https://www.thelocal.de/20220401/german-consumers-to-be-hit-by-further-price-hikes-in-supermarkets/

Just done a little shop in Aldi.

1.2kg side of salmon for 13€

Kerrygold salted butter for 1.49€

Frozen Prawns I believe have dropped in price to 4.39€

Leaks at 49c each.

Milk is still 99c a litre of Bio semi skinned and they still have that gorgeous crumbly Cheddar. So rumour mill was running riot. There are other things that have gone up in price in the last few weeks such as breakfast cereals and porridge but overall not much difference.