Buying power, inflation and others

104 posts in this topic

I was at Metro yesterday. Flour was low but not out. Commercial sizes (20 kg) were nearly out. 2L of Rapsol were at the checkout to keep hoarding low. Edeka has 1L here for 3.79. We stocked up on chicken and nought our weekly vegetable in bulk. It is global. Covid and Putin threw such a kink in the works that we'll need 2 years to recover. Inflation was higher in the 70s. Call me when mortgages are at 19% again.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Covid and Putin threw such a kink in the works that we'll need 2 years to recover

That sounds like you think the Putin thing is just a kink.   That sounds a bit brutal.  

The big jumps in the prices of vegetables are directly linked to Putin fucking around with Europe's gas supply. Most of the tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumbers we import from the Netherlands are grown in massive greenhouses, which have to be heated. If the heating costs go up, which they have, the prices go up.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

I was at Metro yesterday. Flour was low but not out. Commercial sizes (20 kg) were nearly out. 2L of Rapsol were at the checkout to keep hoarding low. Edeka has 1L here for 3.79. We stocked up on chicken and nought our weekly vegetable in bulk. It is global. Covid and Putin threw such a kink in the works that we'll need 2 years to recover. Inflation was higher in the 70s. Call me when mortgages are at 19% again.

Inflation in the UK was running at something like 20%. and the then Labour government had to borrow from the IMF. They finally got it under control during what was called the Lib Lab pact but then Thatcher came along with her free market 'let the market decide' doctrine which pushed inflation back up to 20% and allowed the Pound to nearly hit parity with the Dollar. Lots of businesses went bust, lots of people out of work and lots of poverty and increased disparity between rich and poor. After she and Lawson really fucked the economy up causing massive overheating we had the same in 1990 with interest rates at 15% with a very large number of house repossessions and high unemployment. At the moment we are not at that level but we've been used to managed interest rates and low inflation for many years so a lot of people have forgotten and more have never experienced it.

41 minutes ago, French bean said:

Inflation in the UK was running at something like 20%. and the then Labour government had to borrow from the IMF. They finally got it under control during what was called the Lib Lab pact but then Thatcher came along with her free market 'let the market decide' doctrine which pushed inflation back up to 20% and allowed the Pound to nearly hit parity with the Dollar. Lots of businesses went bust, lots of people out of work and lots of poverty and increased disparity between rich and poor. After she and Lawson really fucked the economy up causing massive overheating we had the same in 1990 with interest rates at 15% with a very large number of house repossessions and high unemployment. At the moment we are not at that level but we've been used to managed interest rates and low inflation for many years so a lot of people have forgotten and more have never experienced it.

Kind of ancient history. So many things have changed since then including technology, ets.

53 minutes ago, French bean said:

Inflation at 7.3%, interest rates at 0% with QE.

According to the ECB press conference they will stop the bond buying in Q3 2022 and maybe increase interest rates to 0.25% although they might do that next year.

Last time inflation in Germany was over 7%, interest rates were at about 11%.

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Kind of ancient history. So many things have changed since then including technology, ets.

Very true but the pressures are the same, some things have stayed the same. Technology has just meant old style industries such as Steel and Coal have been replaced with new such as IT. Inflation is always there and is affected by world events, in the 70's it was the Yum Kippur War leading to a 3 day week in the UK and inflation, now it's Covid and the Russo Ukrainian War causing inflationary pressure. Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.

Odd every Adli is out of 25 L garbage bags. 

Focus had an article about how Aldi/lidl are raising prices across the board. It's only small increases, 10-50 cents but it adds up especially for low income earners. 

13 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

What do you use garbage bags for?  I am curious.  I never use them! 

What do you use then?

I buy my tomatoes and other veg and fruit, in those little plastic bags that you get for free at most supermarkets, then when I take out the food at home, I put my trash in those little plastic bags and then take teem to the bin.   

Sure they are small but I do not have so much trash, maybe lasts a week before I fill up the bag and throw it away. What elese should I do with all these little plastic bags, put them straight away into the plastic waste bag ?

Wow! We fill up a 35 l plastic bag every 2 or 3 days with rubbish. That means the things we don't recycle like paper, plastic, glass, etc.

ok, I live alone, and get lunch at work ( most days, unless home office ) only sandwich in the evening, plus I go out to restaurants a couple of times a week - So I just do not have so much trash at home

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Wow! We fill up a 35 l plastic bag every 2 or 3 days with rubbish. That means the things we don't recycle like paper, plastic, glass, etc.

??? What with? We might have a 10 litre bag full in over a week and that's with a family of three.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

yeah makes 2 of us, while I'm careful everything seems to come wrapped in plastic. Plus drink a  lot of milk (mostly in coffee)

I drink a lot of milk as well, but always put the Milk container in the plastics bag, not general rubbish, any one if I am wrong to do that ?, I do it because the cardboard is wrapped in plastic to make it water tight

I normally try to buy lose fruit so I can the quantity I want, then put it into a small plastic bag, which later gets used to store trash in

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I drink a lot of milk as well, but always put the Milk container in the plastics bag, not general rubbish, any one if I am wrong to do that ?, I do it because the cardboard is wrapped in plastic to make it water tight

Tetra packs like milk, juice, etc. go in our plastic, etc. container.

Actually, we have other threads for this stuff. I has been done to death. 

I do not buy plastic rubbish bags.  For restmüll I used paper bags from baker, or plastic when I buy bread in supermarket.  We have mixed recycling here.  So, tins, cardboard, paper, milk cartons, all go in one bin.  I line in with newspaper, which I throw in the Restmull.  All works pretty well.