Need a SIM card for USA travels (and Puerto Rico)

17 posts in this topic

Any of you know a good place either from a German or US vendor where I can get a SIM card with a USA number so that I can make calls within the US and Puerto Rico? I will travel for a month there but will return repeatedly throughout the year. I don't see the German travel plans as cost effective, and the US is generally not a SIM card-minded country.

Haven't had time to do any internet searching on the topic yet--consider this my search. Hoping you guys can lend a hand with some experience maybe. Thanks!

The Red Pocket SIM card from sim-bee is a good deal. Calls inside the US cost 10-15cents/minute, calls to Germany cost 12-17cents/minute. Bear in mind you also pay to receive calls (10-15cents/min). Actual costs depends on how much credit you load on the card. SMS worldwide costs 10cents. Note that credit expires after a period of time, so beware not overload it with more than you need. The card itself costs between €10.50 and €6.50 depending on your initial credit load. Their service is based on the AT&R network which also has decent coverage across the USA

What is a burner?

The Red Pocket SIM looks like a decent deal. One question I would have, though, is what telephone number would then be linked to this SIM card. Would it be a US one? I noticed the SIM had Chinese letters on it. Nothing against the Chinese, but in the past I have used ultra cheap online calling cards from Asia, and found that the quality was less than good. Hopefully this isn't the case--I might give them a jingle to get some questions answered and moreover see what kind of customer service I am dealing with :)

Check : MaxRoam , they do SIM cards, which you can top up online, so roaming never gets out of hand.

Or you can just pop into an AT&T, T-Mobile etc store when in USA and grab a pre-pay SIM. Not Verizon, as they don't use GSM phones like we have in Europe.

(Of course, only works if your handset is not SIM-locked to your current provider).

If you need to call internationally, you might want to grab a calling-card from eg: Wallgreens.

You can check rates on their website; some are better than others depending on your calling profile (eg: unlimited call $2 per day daily rate versus pay per minute etc; cancelable 30 day rolling contract vs PAYG topup).

Not sure if covers (at a sensible cost) PR though.

It caught my eye that you specifically mentioned Puerto Rico. That's where I currently live most of the year (am visiting in Munich at present.) All US phones work in PR..I'm using my phone from there while on this trip. Of course roaming fees apply. It's all possible but depends how much you want to spend, a big tip if price is an issue is using Skype although I wouldn't depend on Skype for business calls.

Good tip on the prepaid cards from AT&T

Hey Lupo... I looked at your profile...are you the brew master at Old Harbor in San Juan?? I'm American but lived in PR for twelve years until moving here from there in July. My last meal on the island was actually up at Casa Bavaria in Morovis, which I'm sure you know of as they sell your beer. Interesting anyway. I miss PR and all my friends. I'll be there the entire month of November :lol:

Max Roam sounds good on the outset, but it seemed like the call rates were pretty high, both in PR and US.

The Red Pocket SIM card from sim-bee is a good deal. Calls inside the US cost 10-15cents/minute, calls to Germany cost 12-17cents/minute. Bear in mind you also pay to receive calls (10-15cents/min). Actual costs depends on how much credit you load on the card. SMS worldwide costs 10cents. Note that credit expires after a period of time, so beware not overload it with more than you need. The card itself costs between €10.50 and €6.50 depending on your initial credit load. Their service is based on the AT&R network which also has decent coverage across the USA

Thanks for the tip, YL6. Out of interest, have you (or has anyone else) used the Red Pocket SIMs yourself? I may well try it anyway but I was wondering if you were speaking from personal experience of their service.

I have a related question. Can a SIM card from a Europe-only prepaid T-Mobile "handy" with a German telephone number be inserted into a tri-band cell phone, and would that allow me to receive calls and SMS messages in the States? Visa is converting to a new verification system, and I think the plan is to send something like a TAN number to a cell phone number which they have on file.

I will be in the States for a week soon and need to be both online and reachable. The "Red Pocket SIM card from sim-be" seems still to be the best offer around? Anything new in the last 4 years?

I guess I will go for sim bee's offer of:

Talk & Text & Data for 14 Days - 1GB Data

The 14 Days package includes:

Unlimited calling in USA

Unlimited SMS in USA

Unlimited SMS in all other countries

1 Gigabyte of data usage

I can tether my iphone to my ipad.

Not bad for 32,00 EUR.

I use the international SIM card from Telestial (https://www.telestial.com/). It works from all over the world. It gives a US number, a German number and a "global" UK number. The rates depend on which country you are in and which country you are calling to.

i used http://www.readysim.com/card just recently(march)and had no problem at all with it.It worked exactly as advertised and i was more than happy with it