Optometrists in Munich

16 posts in this topic

Dr. Kaup, tel. 77 60 75. Am Harras 15. He's actually an eye doctor (can't be bothered to look up the spelling of opthamologist) but I doubt it matters for you. I've been going to him for years.

I don't know about an optometrist, but I saw a good opthalmalogist, Dr. Marcel Gerbert. He speaks excellent English. His training is through the one of the universities in Munich, Stanford, Johns Hopkins and UCAL San Francisco. Really nice guy.

Dr. Marcel Gerbert

Max-Weber-Platz 11

81675 Munich

Tel: 475 147

Fax: 478 079

Went and saw Dr Gerbert on friday. Good friendly surgery and his english is great.

P

Stay away from the Optometrists in Germany!!! Is it just me or had anyone else noticed that there is not one German who does not have either contact lenses or glasses?? I think it is a large conspiracy by Zeiss! Beware, if your eyes are perfect, you will walk out with a recommendation for new glasses!

Totally untrue. My boyfriend went in for an eye test for his driver's license and was told that his eyesight was perfect. Didn't even try and sell him sunglasses.

One of the few. So I think he may be the only one in history in Germany without recommendations for eyewear! Lucky...stay with him.

Does anybody know where you can have your glasses fixed if the frame (the one temple, to be exact) got torn out of the mounting in the glass? The glasses are ok, it's just the frame (temple) that needs to get attached again.

If you're anywhere near Rosenheimer Strasse:

Optik am Gasteig

Rosenheimerstrasse 8

(Right across the street from the Muellerisches Volksbad)

Owner is friendly and speaks excellent English. I had him put new lenses in my old frames a couple of weeks ago, which he did on site, so I'm sure he could sort your glasses out, MB.

Also offers the usual Optik services, of course.

Thanks Cinzia! :) I will go there this afternoon. Btw, not my glasses, don't wear glasses. :ph34r: Broke the bf's glasses by accident.

I went to Dr. Kaup, who was so highly recommended above, and he's AWFUL. Made me wait 50 minutes without an apology or even an explanation from either him or his staff. Was very mean and almost laughed at how bad my eyes and depth perception are, couldn't understand my German but REFUSED to speak English (though I mentioned I'd seen his recommendation on Toytown), and gave me the WRONG prescription at the end (according to my optician, whom he recommended, who said it was too strong for me). Horrible experience, horrible man with awful bedside manner, shouldn't be working in this field. Worst eye experience of my life, and I've been wearing glasses since I was a kid.

Is it the ophthalmologist in Germany who would do a basic eye exam for someone who hasn't had one in years but otherwise has no problems?  (In the US, you would just go to an optometrist, no?)  Could someone confirm whether this kind of exam is covered by public insurance?  

Any recent recommendations for eye doctors in Munich?

no, an optometrist is for checking your eye sight, an opthamologist will check the actual health of your eyes in addition to testing visual acuity.

optometrists are not covered, but a general checkup by an opthamologist should be.  I've never had to pay, at least.