Violent crime in Germany

101 posts in this topic

Crime statistics for the EU for 2001

http://rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb1203.pdf

Starts on page 10. Remember that the UK has 3/4 of the population of Germany (60-62 million as opposed to 82 million).

If I remember correctly, the only crime that Germany beats the UK on is drugs. Even car theft was higher in the UK than in Germany. EH? I mean.. Germany is bordered by 9 countries and you could easily slip over some borders and sell the car there. But the UK is an island.

I did read a book a couple of months ago about .. ah found it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Risk-Science-Politics-Dan-Gardner/dp/0753515539/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287401296&sr=1-1

Risk - the Science and Politics of Fear.

Basically, it's fear-mongering.

Even car theft was higher in the UK than in Germany. EH? I mean.. Germany is bordered by 9 countries and you could easily slip over some borders and sell the car there. But the UK is an island.

One thought is whether or not car theft includes joyriding car theft. I'm not too sure that happens a lot in Germany, does it?

I feel very safe here. Doesn't mean I don't look out for myself, sit near the driver on public transport late at night, stay near a lighted area and all that basic stuff. And I tend to avoid the Altstadt on weekend nights - I don't think it's really possible to feel completely safe around hoards of drunk people but that might be just me.

Basically I feel very safe in our village. I am non too keen traveling on the S-Bahn to and from Munich late at night though.

I was born in Harlem and spent half my life in the Bronx, I can handle the mean streets of Hamburg :P

Sometimes it worries me that I don't understand what's going on, very minor misunderstandings occasionally lead me to fret about how screwed I'd be if some emergency happened. But that is solving itself as my German abilities grow.

I've heard stories though that in Germany if you hurt someone you get in trouble even if it was self defense. Thank goodness I have not had the misfortune of finding out!

I am non too keen traveling on the S-Bahn to and from Munich late at night though.

Really? I do this most Friday nights and I never have any trouble.

Go and watch "Bowling for Columbine" and listen to Michael Moores comments and observations on fear.

Yes, learn to be afraid of inanimate objects. That's the ticket.

While I feel safer here than in the UK and definitely than when I lived in France where I was harrassed and followed home or groped on a daily basis, to be honest as a woman I don't really feel safe anywhere at night. I always carry a rape alarm and if I'm walking home at night I never take short cuts or wear a walkman, but I think that's just common sense. It might sound a bit paranoid but I'd rather take a few precautions than put myself at risk. I think a major problem in Germany is the street lighting, it's just not bright enough. I know it's probably to stop wasting energy or lower light pollution but it certainly makes me feel a bit vulnerable - I did actually get followed in Germany this year for the first time, I had met a friend for a drink and decided to walk home cos it was only about 9pm. Some guy started following me and unfortunately all pathways home were next to parks with lots of bushes and the street lighting is so terrible, I just legged it and luckily my boyfriend was able to come and pick me up. That's the only time I have actually been in such a situation though in 3 years of living here. But I definitely won't risk walking home from there again when it's getting dark!

In Frankfurt where I work I've only ever known one person to be a victim of violent crime

Basicly every male person i know around 30 and younger has experienced some sort of physical violence at one point. And i'm speaking of people who finished university and not your next door thug. From close calls, to "regular" beatdowns to more serious stuff, being robbed etc. It's largely connected to the local night time economy. A friend of mine is a police officer there and the violence became pretty extreme in recent years. Very often you have Bereitschaftspolizei (riot gear) at hand on regular weekends and not only on gamedays. I know that D-dorf has a funny posh image, but the drinking district attracts troublemakers of all the surrounding cities and of course the city itself.

I'm not a person who would start a fight, but i had 3 occasions were i was overwhelmed and on the receiving end or parttaking more or less defending myself. Even hospitalized. Strangely that didn't happen as a teenager, but between 22 and 27. At a time, when i became smarter and generally avoided mouthing off or stupid situations in general.

Germany 'a safe heaven' is simplified. While it is generally easy to avoid violence you can just as easily be drawn into it while frequenting certain places especially between 3 and 7 in the morning.

Besides that i feel safe. I'm never scared, but have experienced the downside of alcohol fueled aggression.

Allershausen, havent you heard about the attacks on the S-Bahn? they don't normally take place in the city but out in the countryside. Maybe our trains have been unlucky (S8 and S6). However, in general it is very safe in our area.

As far as I can tell the attacks that have happened on the S-bahn have been isolated incidents. So much so that they get reported in the newspapers and on the radio. The day to start worrying is when such things are no longer front page news. I regularly travel from Munich to Freising on the S-bahn and have never seen any trouble.

Basically, if you´ve EVER been the victim of violent crime - whether in Germany or anywhere else - you remember it. End of.

After I left a party in Munich with some TT members yesternite, I was in the Moosach station, waiting for the next S1. I saw a couple of drunk German youngsters (black short hair, properly dressed in light-grey suits but drunk as hell) kicking the crap out of another guy who was already on the floor. I called the police and they arrived about twenty minutes later, but the aggressors had already left. They had also previously smashed a glass of those vitrines where they hang posters on.

The attacked guy (also German) said afterwards he was not badly hurt (apparently he had no external bleeding) and looked relatively calm about the whole incident, just in case you wonder. He was very thankful for my small help; he complained that nowadays it would be difficult for any passer-by to care enough. Since he didn't want to stay there, I asked for his name and phone number, which I gave to the cops for them to get in touch with him. I felt bad about not attempting to scare the guys off, but at the time I thought there would be to beaten-up guys instead of one.

My only shown display of physical violence in this country so far (almost six years now). I guess it's a warm-up of what I will be seeing now and then in Mexico, my next stop.

While I feel safer here than in the UK and definitely than when I lived in France where I was harrassed and followed home or groped on a daily basis,

i have to second this one regarding france. i too was followed by random guys a few times when i lived there, even in broad daylight. the scariest one would be when some drunk followed and harrassed me when i was walking in the dark. i was fortunate to bump into an old couple and i asked them to shoo the drunk away and then watch me until i get behind my building's doors to make sure that the drunk didn't come back and find out where i lived. compared to that, germany is chicken shit ;)

I have never felt so safe as I do in Berlin and I live right at Kotti. But, of course, before Berlin I lived in Mexico City (where I got robbed in a taxi) and then Bogotá (where I was held hostage at gunpoint) so I guess everything is relative. But it's true that you never get over these things. Still get spooked when someone comes up behind me as I'm getting into my building and of course it's usually a friendly neighbor and then I feel silly.