Life in Husum

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ember said:

I am an American, looking to move with my dual citizen (German/American) husband and 14 year old daughter. I have looked at rentals in Husum. My husband speaks some German and my daughter and I, none. We are willing to learn and integrate and make German friends. What would life be like for us in Husum and some of the other small German towns in Northern Germany? Any recommendations (town-wise)? Good idea? Bad idea? Would my daughter be able to make friends? Or would we be outcasts? Any suggestions? We have never lived in Germany before. We are basically, American and grew up in America, but we are open to new experiences and are looking to retire in Germany and live a quiet peaceful life. Any info would be helpful. 

Have you checked the intricacy of the German schooling system? Maybe moving to another country where they speak English (UK, Ireland, Malta, Gibraltar, Cyprus) might make life easier for your daughter. At least I´d recommend having a trial period of a few months - testing one or a few schools - first before finalising a move.

3 hours ago, Ember said:

What would life be like for us in Husum and some of the other small German towns in Northern Germany?

Husum - graue Stadt am Meer ("the grey town by the sea") - and I can tell you it really is especially on a dismal rainy evening in November!

As long as the Sun shines there (which it often does being at the coast) its OK.  I would not want to live there but it depends on your interests & activities.

Husum did have a military airfield which is now closed.  Part is used by a flying club; the other part has an air-defence battalion stationed there i.e. there is a German military presence (my son did his military service there but not guarding rockets at night!).

My wife grew up in Husum (her father was the police chief) & her mother still lives in Hattstedt (next village to the North) so we visit the place a few times each year.  Apart from an enormous store (C.J. Schmidt) there isn't much there!  You get a lot of tourists wandering around the town.

As others have written your 14 yr old daughter will find life tough.  I spent a year in Munich with my parents when I was that age & did not enjoy it at all.

My experience about integrating into the education system is so limited as to make any comment from me of doubtful value. 

However I have considerable experience of how non German speaking aliens are readily accepted and integrated into one small community.  I can't speak for the whole of Germany but I have been welcomed with open arms and made to feel a local here in the Moselle valley.  This despite me continually reminding the locals about 30 July 1966 and my insistence that the ball did cross the line!  (As Ember is American she might not understand that, but it's not important).  When I arrived my German was close to zero (some of my German friends claim it's not much better now).  I have witnessed immigrants from Bulgaria, Poland, Portugal and Romania (probably also elsewhere) get similar welcomes.  Further, when the refugee influx was at its peak the community was unbelievably welcoming.

As far as children integrating socially, I had one ten year old English language pupil from Syria  When she arrived she spoke no German and just few words of English.  Within a few months she had many German friends and was certainly integrated much more quickly than her parents.

I must stress that my experience is limited to this one area of Germany and might not be typical.

6 hours ago, Ember said:

I am an American, looking to move with my dual citizen (German/American) husband and 14 year old daughter. I have looked at rentals in Husum. My husband speaks some German and my daughter and I, none.

Are you independently wealthy? Do either of you have a firm job offer? 

Without a job, it'll be difficult to find long-term accommodation. 

6 hours ago, Ember said:

What would life be like for us in Husum and some of the other small German towns in Northern Germany?

How much money can you afford to throw at the problems you'll face?

You should also be aware that katheliz's experiences are close to 50 years ago. 

For a more a recent example (although still over 5 years ago and before the mass migration of foreigners who've caused resources to be stretched even more thinly), I would recommend this post:

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/349052-did-anyone-arrive-in-germany-with-a-child-due-to-start-gymnasium-realschule/?do=findComment&comment=3373019

Engelchen is correct- is there a job lined up, health insurance, - many other questions.

Yes, Husum is a very pretty place, lots of tourists, no industry, so wonder what work the op might be looking for.

At least the husband has the advantage of German citizenship,

but their 14 year old will find this very stressful.

Thank you for your responses. I have considered the many issues that my daughter may face in the German public schools, thus, we are considering a move to Hamburg (or near Hamburg) instead. We are thinking of placing our daughter in the International School Campus in Pinneberg area around Hamburg. I am looking at a rental house in Halstenbek, Rellingen, Pinneberg, or Elmshorn. I may have a pending offer in Halstenbek. Any thoughts on this move? We may try 9th grade at the school and see if she survives this. Any thoughts on any of the above mentioned towns/cities and placing her in international school? Thank you for your time.

And, as additional background, we have a couple companies in the USA that we own and manage, so we will be traveling to and fro. So, we won't have to rely on jobs in Germany. Although, I am also a Biology high school teacher, so I would love to teach at an international school, but haven't received any offers as of yet. 

-Ember

On 27/01/2020, 10:02:47, starkebogen said:

my insistence that the ball did cross the line!  

It clearly did not.  You are wrong on that.

Hello, I know these posts are older (sometimes several years), but I was wondering if anyone still lives or newly moved to the Husum/Heide area? I’m American and have been here since 2006. Unfortunately I didn’t know about Toytown until recently. I’d be interested in an English speaking meetup. Sometimes I feel too surrounded by German stuff...