Life in Husum

27 posts in this topic

Hello. I am an American living in a small town north of Husum. I moved here almost a year ago and am living with my (German) husband . I am wondering if there are any other English speaking people in this area (Niebüll, Sylt, Flensburg) who are interested in a meetup?

Ha - I shall be driving to Husum today for a short visit with wife & daughter as parents-in-law live in Hattstedt.

Won't help you much though as we shall be on a tight schedule.

Graue Stadt am Meer - too true - when the kids were young we used to drive up on a Friday evening, dump them @ their grandparents & go into Husum for a quiet meal. In November pretty dull (but if you've been there a year you don't need me to tell you that).

We visit Husum once in a while to eat at the Irish Pub there. They do a fantastic fish in beer batter which reminds us of English fish bought at the fish and chips shops. We can contact you a few days before we plan our next visit if you like to see if you want to meet up.

Doh - where is the Irish pub in Husum?

Recently we eat fish at Compass on the Harbour. Used to go to Voss in the outer harbour but he closed down & replacement went downhill.

Probably elsewhere today.

I had to google it to find out as I couldn't remember! The pub is called the Shamrock at Neustadt 82.

Marton - Definitely email me the next time you are going to Shamrock. I will look for it today.

HEM - I will be at the harbor today but we will have to meet up another time since you are on a tight schedule.

I start my VHS classes in a few weeks so I will be in Husum almost every day.

I am always excited to meet new people so please email me.

Thanks

Just got back home. Was beautiful weather in Husum & true to past form we ate @ Compass sat outside - was OK with a light jacket on...

Next visit could well be Christmas as parents-in-law are too old for the drive to us on the 25th so last year we drove up to them on the 26th...

I'm pretty ancient myself post-10876-12869867571232.gif

bit off topic here, but I was in Husum yesterday for the Krabbentage! Very quaint little town, I love how all the towns in Germany have so many stories. Does your husband speak Plattdeutsch?

Yesterday (Sunday) was beautiful weather - I went gliding from our home airfield (Uetersen) up to South edge of Kiel & back. Baltic sea looked as flat as a millpond. I thought of trying to fly towards Husum but decided that at some stage the thermals would stop so retreated back home.

Probably the last decent flying day of 2010...

...to Kiel? ...AND BACK?? :o

You must be a champion thermal-finder HEM! ;)

...or are we talking power assisted here?

Power only used for take-off & initial climb to 750 m altitude. The good clouds started at Laegerdorf & i thought I'd need the engine again to reach them but the DG-808 glides well & I gained a few 100 m in a weak thermal near Horst & that was enough...

post-10876-12875806343921_thumb.jpg

The track is in GREEN.

That's great HEM! Almost makes me consider taking up gliding myself... well I was in the RAF (The other one) many years ago and had several lessons at Bicester (Never went solo). Could be a great new activity to take up as I approach my 60th, and retirement... what d'ya think! :)

@RachGii - No, my husband is from Dortmund and relocated here last year. Husum is a really cute town. Let me know when you plan to visit again!

@Marton - I went to Shamrocks last night but they do not and have never served any food. No beer battered fish and chips. Perhaps you were thinking of another Irish Pub but I don't think there would be two of them in such a small town.

MorguenMerlot - Because this pub serves Kilkenny beer I thought it was an Irish Pub. On looking at the internet again, I found another pub in Husum called the Husum Pab, Schiffbrücke. I have checked their online menu and lo and behold the battered fish is mentioned so I think it must have been that one! I do apologise for the incorrect info!

Marton,

Oh Yes! I know the Husum Pub! I go there often. I think the next time I go I will try the fish and chips. They have a great fish soup that is made with a hint of Pernod. I know it sounds strange but it works.

I am an American, looking to move with my dual citizen (German/American) husband and 14 year old daughter. I have looked at rentals in Husum. My husband speaks some German and my daughter and I, none. We are willing to learn and integrate and make German friends. What would life be like for us in Husum and some of the other small German towns in Northern Germany? Any recommendations (town-wise)? Good idea? Bad idea? Would my daughter be able to make friends? Or would we be outcasts? Any suggestions? We have never lived in Germany before. We are basically, American and grew up in America, but we are open to new experiences and are looking to retire in Germany and live a quiet peaceful life. Any info would be helpful. 

1 hour ago, Ember said:

I am an American, looking to move with my dual citizen (German/American) husband and 14 year old daughter. I have looked at rentals in Husum. My husband speaks some German and my daughter and I, none.

Bringing a 14year old daughter -who doesn't speak any German at all - to Germany is rather bad timing. How is she supposed to manage school?

We came to Germany with three kids 14 down to 11, none of whom knew more than a few sentences in German.  The 14-year-old was placed two classes down in Gymnasium and the 12-year-old repeated one year in Realschule;  the 11-year-old spent a total of three years in 5th grade - one in the US, one in the village school and the third in Gymnasium - before ultimately making her Abitur.

Your daughter faces a daunting uphill struggle as your entire family tries to learn German.  Add to that life in a small, insular German town, and I fear she will be lonely and unhappy.