When is it 'Quiet Time' in Stuttgart?

25 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone knows when the mandatory quiet times are in Stuttgart. Also does this time apply

to renovation work/ construction noise? Our neighbours have been doing something that involves banging

on pipes and drilling on and off (mostly on) since July. My two youngest are ill and I had just put

the smallest down for a nap when the drillng started again:-(

Thanks for any help,

habsmommy

I always thought that quiet time was after 10 p.m. during the week and after 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

I know that some residents think that there has to be a quiet period between 1 and 3 p.m., but that's not set by law. It's just what people would like and it's not legally enforceable.

Thanks for the info and a greenie for you :D - were told by neighbours when we first moved in and attempted to mow the lawn at 2 in the afternoon that it is quiet time and we should turn it off and wait until it is not quiet time:-) I am just sleep deprived and tired of this drilling! Out of curiousity is it supposed to be quiet before a certain time in the morning?

You're allowed to start making 'regular' noise at 7 a.m. and really loud noise (garden machines etc) at 9 a.m.

If the drilling is disturbing your children you should talk to the neighbours and see if you can work out a compromise as to when they go at it.

Interesting, because the drilling begins like clockwork at 7.45.

Sorry- double posting was accidental and not meant to echo the drilling;-)

I think only commercial construction companies are allowed to start that early. For everyone else it's supposed to be Zimmerlautstärke which would not include drilling that your neighbours can hear.

You could contact your local city council to get the exact rules for your city in writing and wave it in their faces.

What is allowed when? (German)

Just found this...

"Ab 7 Uhr

In der Wohnung ist jetzt alles erlaubt, was über Zimmerlautstärke liegt (z. B. Staubsaugen, Waschmaschine), ebenso im Garten (z. B. Rasenmäher)"

Just spotted this too:

"Ab 9 Uhr

Extrem laute Geräte dürfen erst jetzt angeschaltet werden, z. B. Laubgebläse, Grastrimmer, Kantenschneider."

Not too clear, really...

Yeah, just spotted that too.

I guess you have to decide if a lawnmower is more annoying than a drill. :huh:

If you live in a flat, check the Hausordnung of the building you live in: while there is no law for afternoon quiet-time, many Hausverwaltungen specify in the Hausordnung that people must keep quiet between midday and 3pm. If you live in a house (i.e. not in a multiple-party building), you are out of luck in the afternoons I'm afraid.

Just speak to them about it. We have a far bigger problem. We have an elderly couple living upstairs. She is disabled and permanently in pain, so she often moans and screams in the middle of the night. For hours. During the day she sleeps. Speaking to them (I have done so) can't change anything. She is simply ill and in pain.

Thanks everyone. We are in a house but share a wall with an apartment building- so each floor shares a wall with a different

apartment. I suppose we're out of luck and I don't want to start any difficulties with the neighbours especially if there's

no law against the noise any way.

Thanks again

Hi everyone:)

As the post was in 2010, I would like to know if anyone has the up-to-dated information about the following issues in Stuttgart:

When can I do my laundry in my apartment? (7:00am - 10:00 pm Mon-Sat???):blink:
When can I vacuum my floor in my apartment? (7:00am - 10:00 pm Mon-Sat???):blink:
When can I repair something (e.g., drilling or hammering) in my apartment? (9:00 am - 7:00 pm Mon-Sat???):blink:

Thank you very much for your help:lol:

You forgot to ask when it's allowed to yawn very loudly in your apartment! ;)

I don't know what the rules in Stuttgart specifically are, but in general you can be on the safe side if you undertake in all of the above activities between the hours of 08:00 - 13:00 and 15:00 - 22:00 on Monday to Saturday. Beyond that it all starts to get a bit technical / complicated / confusing...

*edit: oh yes, you're right, though, that very loud activities have even more restricted times. I'm too confused, hope somebody else will answer.

I make a lot of noise at work, and have been yelled at quite a few times.  Generally you can start being loud at 7 am, then there is the Mittagsruhe from 12 to 1 pm, and then you have to be quiet at 8 pm.  As a contractor, I'm allowed to ignore the Mittagsruhe and keep on making a racket, though I try to plan my work around it out of consideration for others.  Sundays and holidays are quiet time the whole day, which makes them very annoying for me.  Kids are allowed by the law to be noisy at any time on any day.  Today I had the chipper turned on at 8 am ... Good morning!  Most of the time though I try to do quieter stuff until around 9 or so. 

That annoying drilling noise is a Hilti or something similar.  They are probably chipping out channels in the concrete/mortar for wiring or other things.   It takes forever, and you can hear it practically every day on any given street.  Renos here are so much more complicated and slower than back home.  Wood frame and drywall houses are so much easier!

On 8.10.2010, 15:15:02, habsmommy said:

I don't want to start any difficulties with the neighbours

This is so very easy to do in Stuttgart, and the feuds last for years.  Virtually every one of my customers has some ongoing dispute with one or more of their neighbours.  Stuttgarters are simply not at all willing to compromise in any way with their neighbours it seems.  The concept of doing something nice for a neighbour without being asked is an uncomfortably foreign concept here that is met with mystified disbelief. 

29 minutes ago, kapokanadensis said:

I make a lot of noise at work, and have been yelled at quite a few times.  Generally you can start being loud at 7 am, then there is the Mittagsruhe from 12 to 1 pm, and then you have to be quiet at 8 pm.  As a contractor, I'm allowed to ignore the Mittagsruhe and keep on making a racket, though I try to plan my work around it out of consideration for others.  Sundays and holidays are quiet time the whole day, which makes them very annoying for me.  Kids are allowed by the law to be noisy at any time on any day.  Today I had the chipper turned on at 8 am ... Good morning!  Most of the time though I try to do quieter stuff until around 9 or so. 

That annoying drilling noise is a Hilti or something similar.  They are probably chipping out channels in the concrete/mortar for wiring or other things.   It takes forever, and you can hear it practically every day on any given street.  Renos here are so much more complicated and slower than back home.  Wood frame and drywall houses are so much easier!

This is so very easy to do in Stuttgart, and the feuds last for years.  Virtually every one of my customers has some ongoing dispute with one or more of their neighbours.  Stuttgarters are simply not at all willing to compromise in any way with their neighbours it seems.  The concept of doing something nice for a neighbour without being asked is an uncomfortably foreign concept here that is met with mystified disbelief. 

I do not mind anyone drilling around, because it is his job.
I have a neighbour shouts more annoyingly than any Geräte but he needs people around him to be absolutely quiet. There is a company near our building. Once the workers were moving something at 2pm and he went to complain the company asking them to stop at once because it was his "Mittagruhe" All the workers stopped and looked at our building and could said nothing. So, what the guy did at this absolutely quiet environment? Shouted up loud for 1-2 hours in his "Mittagruhe"...

4 hours ago, toBnruG said:

You forgot to ask when it's allowed to yawn very loudly in your apartment! ;)

I don't know what the rules in Stuttgart specifically are, but in general you can be on the safe side if you undertake in all of the above activities between the hours of 08:00 - 13:00 and 15:00 - 22:00 on Monday to Saturday. Beyond that it all starts to get a bit technical / complicated / confusing...

*edit: oh yes, you're right, though, that very loud activities have even more restricted times. I'm too confused, hope somebody else will answer.

I have been complained by my neighbour for my laundry at exactly 6:03pm. That's why I need to know, thank you.-_-

Did your neighbor come to your door to complain or did he/she complain to the landlord?

If the former, don't answer the door next time.  If the latter, your landlord knows it is OK.

Don't do laundry after 22:00 or before 7:00.