Lufthansa's Miles & More program

177 posts in this topic

with the temporary card you had to take the initiative, up to 24 separate times, to go to the departure gate to get the points crediited to your temporary account.

NOTE: You hadnt a proper miles and more number, so you couldnt enter it at the time of booking!!!

Like I said, not my experience, travelling between DE and UK max. once a quarter back then.

my point put succinctly by a poster on the flyer talk fourm in Jan '09, who with 11,506 posts either spends too much time on his computer, or knows a thing or two about aviation (or both)

LH used to send out plastic cards only once 3.000 miles had been credited.

This made it quite difficult for people travelling on those infamous 125 miles tickets.

Nowadays you only need 1 miles credited to your account.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11069541-post7.html

I have tried to find out from when till when they were proactively trying to prevent people from attaining a usable loyalty card and usable loyalty scheme number. If I find out, I will post.

EDIT: I just found that I am entitled to 1250 miles EACH WAY on my latest booking class M flight to Scandanavia at the weekend. After 9 1/2 years... still waiting on that card so I can actually collect some miles.

I'm really annoyed with them - it turns out that I've not been accruing miles since I got married because the tickets are now issued in my married name. I asked them to change the name on the account and apparently they want to see my marriage certificate and passport before they permit such a change.

They can go fuck themselves.

llees - United does the same the same thing (i.e., you need to show marriage cert/passport to change name on your account). Totally ridiculous policy but not unique to LH.

I'm really annoyed with them - it turns out that I've not been accruing miles since I got married because the tickets are now issued in my married name. I asked them to change the name on the account and apparently they want to see my marriage certificate and passport before they permit such a change.

This is actually quite common in Germany, as when my wife married me and changed her name then she had to produce copies and send it out to many companies including Lufthansa.

So does anyone have experience with other loyalty programmes where you can redeem miles on Star Alliance flights? After several years of studiously collecting Miles and More points, now that I've come to redeeming them I realise belatedly that M&M are completely shit compared to other loyalty programmes. For example, with BMI you collect the same number of points when you fly Star Alliance, but for a trans-Atlantic flight need only 45,000 miles rather than M&M's 60,000. And a complicated multi-city booking that I've been trying to do costs 60,000 air miles and £380 with Canada's Aeroplan but 85,000 miles and £520 with M&M.

The problem however is that I want a Germany-based credit card, since I earn most my miles on the credit card. With BMI, not only do you need 25% fewer miles to fly anywhere, but you also earn 50% more miles on the credit card (1.5 per pound spent instead of 1 per pound with the M&M card). The problem is that the card is UK-based, there's no German equivalent, and there's a 2.75% charge for foreign-currency conversions.

So is anyone collecting miles with a different Star Alliance partner?

I agree with you @Small Town Boy. I only have experience with United and Lufthansa. If you use M&M to book a 'free' ticket, you end-up having to use more miles and paying more taxes for flights originating in Europe compared to United. Not sure why the taxes are higher but I suspect it's because of different tax regulations for a German company.

Maybe switch to a non-airline credit card.. get one that gives you cash back rewards? American Express?

I kept my United airlines credit card, but don't use it often here because of the high foreign currency conversion. Because Lufthansa and United are Star Alliance, I am able to use my United miles to book 'free' tickets on Lufthansa (with lower taxes). Presently, you can't do this online (via United website), you need to call United Reservations and pay an extra $25 booking charge, but it's definitely worth it!

I've now taken to calling repeatedly until I get a price that I like. I've noticed that they give you a different price every time you call. The tax on a domestic flight within North America was quoted as £404 the first time but only £215 the second time, while the multi-city trip has just gone from 85,000 miles and £520 in tax to 90,000 miles but only £396 in tax for the identical itinerary.

This doesn't change the fact that with a different Star Alliance partner I could do this itinerary for only 60,000 miles, but it seems as though I'm stuck with the Lufthansa version of the programme if I want a German credit card. The 2.75% charge on foreign transactions would quickly eat away at any savings on the flights.

We have a LH credit card, and my husband gets airmiles from his business trips. I use the airmiles for flights back to Canada. Just now I am planning a trip back end of February. Lufthansa M&M web site is saying that there are no award flights available on the specific day I want. Aeroplan is showing availability at the regular award level. This actually happens to me quite often. So I take note of the Air Canada award flights I want, then phone up Miles and More and book them with the LH points. I've never had any trouble doing it this way.

Only once have I been able to book online with Miles and More. The rest of the time I use the phone.

...For example, with BMI you collect the same number of points when you fly Star Alliance, but for a trans-Atlantic flight need only 45,000 miles rather than M&M's 60,000. And a complicated multi-city booking that I've been trying to do costs 60,000 air miles and £380 with Canada's Aeroplan but 85,000 miles and £520 with M&M.

So is anyone collecting miles with a different Star Alliance partner?

I use SAS Eurobonus for my star alliance flights as I use to live in Sweden and then spent a lot of time travelling to/from Sweden on business in the past so I just stayed with them. And another advantage is that you don't pay any fuel surcharge on award flights with them! (Just tax). So for a US trip I have planned for later this year it costs my 60,000 points plus 115 Euros. But in general I would not say that I find them better.

I do notice that the miles collected are often less then if I collected them with M&M and it depends on your airline, the airline your fly with and the booking class. For example: Last week I flew FRA - Athens - FRA. Outbound was with Aegean and inbound was LH both *A (Star Alliance) members and the booking class for both flights was 'K' class. According to LH (http://www.meilenrechner.ch/earn_miles.php) 'K' class on this route should earn 750 miles for each segment. But I got 250 miles for the outbound, and 300 miles for the inbound. So you can never be sure what you will get.

Also FYI, the BMI program will be moved across to M&M soon due to the takeover. So if you have miles left on them best to spend them now otherwise you could loose out. And LH increased the number of miles needed for certain trips from 1st Jan 2011. Although I believe that this mainly effects Business & First class award.

Ugghh...

I just joined and got an email with my M & M number. I used that when booking my flight home over the holidays, and for my rental car. Then I noticed that my balance is still 0.

So I wrote them to try to find out what the problem is, and they said that I have to use the number when booking, AND show my card at check-in, or at the gate. Well,

A) I dont have a card to show

B) I checked in online

C) I wasn't aware that I had to do this.

So, they said, well, its no problem, just mail us your boarding passes and car rental receipt... I mean, cant they see that I flew and just give me the miles?? I'm done flying, I didn't keep my boarding passes, and I also dont know what I did with the receipt for the rental car...

Well BD, let that be a lesson, I use my card everytime I check in and some of the times I did´nt get credited, so I learned to save everything.

But you can go online and argue your case, you will get the credit. it just takes a little time.

They´re pretty good at keeping the customer happy. just a little time consuming.

Good luck

So I've come to the conclusion that the Miles & More programme is nothing more than a scam. The taxes and fees that they charge for their reward flights are so high that you barely save any money compared to a standard cash fare with a different airline. For example, a MUC-JNB-MUC itinerary that I've been looking at costs 60,000 air miles plus €530 in taxes and fees. By contrast, under the United MileagePlus scheme (also Star Alliance) the identical route costs 45,000 air miles plus just $88 in taxes and fees. A cash fare with Egypt Air costs €623, less than €100 more than the Miles and More offer without having to empty your mileage account.

The United scheme also has much better availability: they had plenty of seats available on the direct flight from Munich, whereas with M&M you have to change in Frankfurt or Zurich. M&M have virtually no availability for Cape Town for the whole of August, while United still has seats available on most days.

If you fly a lot for business then for the love of God move yourself over to the United or Air Canada programme so that you can actually do something with your miles. I've instead switched over to the Deutsche Bahn scheme and earn points with their credit card instead of the Lufthansa one. Under the DB programme, "free journey" actually means "free journey" and not "a few euros cheaper than a cash fare but unfortunately there's no availability on the route you want". I will take great delight in cutting up my Miles & More card and posting it back to them.

well, i know miles & more does not offer the best deal, but what can i do? i'm already a frequent flyer, i fly mostly from frankfurt and lufthansa often offer the best flights. if i were to change loyalty programme i would have to start all over again, wouldn't i?

Yes, but eventually you will reach a point where you can use the M&M points that you've accumulated and can then carry on collecting points with United instead. Nothing changes in the collection of the points (you get the same points for the same flights), but redeeming the points suddenly becomes much cheaper and easier.

Just to clarify: with the United or Air Canada schemes you still get the same number of points for flying with Lufthansa as you currently do now. It's all Star Alliance. That's the point I was trying to make; it's the same scheme (you collect and redeem points on the same airlines) but collecting via United is far more favourable than collecting via Lufthansa. That's what makes it a scam.

but all of my M&M points will be gone the moment i switch to united/air canada?

You can have both schemes running simultaneously, but you'll want to use your M&M points up at some stage. Once you reach, say, 60,000 you've got enough for a transatlantic flight and then after redeeming them you can switch to collecting on the other scheme.

There are also a few options for transferring or trading points, e.g. points.com.

You cannot have two star alliance schemes running simultaneously, thus i left my krisflyer and switched to miles & more.

But yeah, i could use up my miles and then switch to other star alliance schemes. Have to first check whether they offer a wide selection of flights, though.