Lufthansa's Miles & More program

177 posts in this topic

I get my status miles on every flight, but it doesn't go that fast since the miles on these flights are only worth 125 to 1000 miles per flight.

I am a frequent flyer with Star Alliance, but most of my flights are to Amsterdam, Hamburg and Copenhagen. These are really short flights, and the mileage doesn't add up that fast. Now I've heard from a friend that they not only give you status when you've reached your 35000 miles, but also the number of flights you take can give you frequent flyer status as well. I can't find that anywhere on the website though, does anyone know about this?

If you go to book a flight on lufthansa.com, once you have your flights selected at the bottom of the screen there is a "mileage calculator". If you click on this it shows you how many miles you will get for this fare class. It also have another part which shows additional status miles for frequest travellers, senators etc.

Now I've heard from a friend that they not only give you status when you've reached your 35000 miles, but also the number of flights you take can give you frequent flyer status as well. I can't find that anywhere on the website though, does anyone know about this?

I'm FTL with Star Alliance since some years.

Up to a year or so ago you reached / retained a certain status level EITHER by achieving a certain sum of status miles OR number of flights.

One or two years ago the "number of flights" was dropped which is why you see nothing on that subject on the Miles & More site.

Does anyone know if you can back-date claims? I.e. Flights you took before you signed up to M&M

Yes you can jfraney. It should last 12 months I think. Check out the lufthansa site for more details.

You could try, but you can book tickets then cancel them and so on but you only get miles for flights you actually take. Just having the ticket isn't enough. Maybe they've got some clever compooter thingy now that can tell them if you took the flight or not but they didn't have that when I last got miles added.

If your flight was with Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines Group, LOT, or Swiss airlines, you can retroactively request the miles credit using an online form. For other Star Alliance airlines, unfortunately you have to send them your ticket and boarding card stubs by post.

For the online request, log into your account at miles-and-more.com and then click the "Mileage request" link.

For LH flights, you need to give the ticket number, flight number, departure & arrival airport codes, and the booking class.

just an update on this programme

up untill about 2 years ago, when you signed with ALL YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS up you got a temporary paper card with temporary number, the plastic real card with real number only being issued after a not insignificant 3000 miles (= 24 internal german flights!!!).

With this paper card you could credit points for flights AT THE GATE on departure. Of course in real life this isnt always possible, either you are late or theres an airport shutdown and EVERYONE is at the departures desk with a query.

A right pain in the hole.

The *only* other way was to do it via post. If you still had your ticket stubs/ boarding card stubs.

But still. A pain in the hole. Only the most organised person imaginable would manage such a thing.

All in the effort to get a REAL card

Specifying the card upon booking wasnt possible. You hadnt a REAL card.

Specifying the temporary card upon checkin also WASNT POSSIBLE. Only at the departures or by post at your own cost.

Also, you couldn't check what miles you had online, to see when or if you were close to getting a magical plastic card.

You could log in alright, but all you could do was book a flight (and despite you being logged in through your miles and more temp. card account, you DIDNT get miles and more points automatically on your purchase!!! C*NTS. Only in germany. Telekom are as bad.)

Anyhow.

This madness is now over.

Lufthansa have had a moment of lucidity and genius to realise that a loyalty programme should be easy to sign up to.

Now you are considered a member after your first flight.

Not your 24th.

I have been a "member" since mid 2001 - and I am getting my plastic card now sent in the post this week.

9 1/2 years later.

I've been a member since the late nineties and don't recognise any of the problems you describe. Mrs Guy joined later and did not have them either, so it sounds like you were unlucky.

But they have changed something recently...I got a new card and a letter welcoming me to the programme.

I also got my "real" card within a few weeks, as far as I can recall. I rarely fly but rack up the points in other ways, so all this stuff about departure gates and what-not isn't really an issue. Unless you regularly fly long-haul or on expensive last-minute business flights within Europe, you can pretty much forget about collecting air miles; at 250 miles a leg within Europe and 30,000 required for a return flight within Europe, you'd have to make 60 return journeys to get one free. Get their credit cards though and everything changes...

I got an email from them a couple of weeks ago telling me that I have 250 status miles and need to "collect just 34,750 more miles before the end of the year!" to gain frequent flyer status. One of my favourite examples of the word "just", not to mention misleading graphics.

post-977-129114047596.jpg

Same here, we simply used the temp paper one in the miles and more magazine and dropped it off with stewardess after landing. My wife & I received a permenant card in the mail a few weeks with our username/password. It was necessary to call support as we live in Germany and the cards they sent were for the U.S., we were required to re-register for the DE site and they issued replacement cards. It was no problem and we did not lose any miles.

In addition, we were creditied with 500 miles for signing up to the online newsletter.

Wait, so you have to do something when you go to the gate? I booked using my number, shouldnt they know whether or not I flew?

Bobby, if you booked using your number, the miles should be credited when you get your boarding card. (not when you book the ticket)

efehrenbach, you could use the US card for german flights and viceversa. You can become a Senator faster , if your address listed you as an US resident. It requires lesser miles. rolleyes.gif

It doesn't matter if you are a US resident, just not a German resident and you can get Senator or FF faster. You can change your address at anytime and it automatically adjusts the number of miles you need to reach status.

Bobby, if you booked using your number, the miles should be credited when you get your boarding card. (not when you book the ticket)

and theres the catch

with the temporary card you had to take the initiative, up to 24 separate times, to go to the departure gate to get the points crediited to your temporary account.

NOTE: You hadnt a proper miles and more number, so you couldnt enter it at the time of booking!!! Not even on the Lufthansa website. Not even when logged into the Lufthansa website WITH your temporary number and temporary password.

(and as i said above, you couldnt even query how many miles you had through the lufthansa temporary miles and more account)

and. The temporary number is no use for acruing miles through third parties. You had to get your 3000 miles first through lufthansa, and THEN you can start getting miles elsewhere!!

Also, as a previous user said, if you pretty much only travel in europe you dont get many points, and if you had a REAL membership number you'd be able to accrue points from other sources. But for north american or asian ex pats heading home, you can rack up your 3000 miles straight away so you wouldnt be aware of the whole temporary card limbo, chipping away at your 3000 mile target to become a valued customer of Lufthansa to whom you have already supplied your personal details for their use in full.

(a one way to LAX is 3000 miles alone as an example of how easy is is to get a card if you arent traveling mainly inside europe!)

Anyhow.

For those of us looking to collect points without taking long distance high milage flights, theres no longer the temporary card limbo fun with (up to 24 visits to departure gates), you get your miles and more permanent number and card now automatically after a single flight.

But only if you actually fly- I've checked in a couple of times and then missed flights and had to totally re-book and pay for another flight or cancel the trip completely and those flight segments don't count. They should, as I've still paid for the ticket.

Incidentally this month I got more miles from my T-Mobile phone bill than from my last flight to London!!

It doesn't matter if you are a US resident, just not a German resident and you can get Senator or FF faster. You can change your address at anytime and it automatically adjusts the number of miles you need to reach status.

The higher miles for German residents is for Senator status, not FF.