Lufthansa's Miles & More program

177 posts in this topic

Our family of four are off to Oz this year courtesy of Miles & More. We did not have quite enough for the fourth person so M&M are lending them to us at no charge!

I am impressed. And excited!

OK, fill out the form for Miles and More, and you take the paper little card that is with it. Send in the form.

Use the paper card when you are checking in, once you get over 2500 miles (usually 1 round trip inside of Europe) they will send you the proper card.

Then when you are checking in, just hand over the card, and they add the miles for your flight to your account. You can check your balance on-line, or via the quarterly statements they send you.

Once you get 30,000 miles, its a free flight inside Europe. for the rest you would have to check. If you do more than 45,000 miles in a year, you upgrade to silver status (like me !), if you do more than 120,000 miles in the year, you get GOLD. This is for all Star Alliance flights.

If flying inside of Europe, you can once you have the card, just book ETIX (Electronic Tickets) which means you do not bother about tickets, and just stuff your card in any Star Alliance machine, and it will give you your ticket for that flight.

I regularly use my free miles for flights back to England. Although its NOT completely free, you still have to pay the taxes.

Although its NOT completely free, you still have to pay the taxes.

that's how i went back to texas in may. paid something like €65. not a bad deal though.

withall this i repent for not having this earlier i flew about 8 times to india in the past 2 year.. bad luck.. :( would have alot of miles on my card by now

Once you get 30,000 miles, its a free flight inside Europe. for the rest you would have to check. If you do more than 45,000 miles in a year, you upgrade to silver status (like me !), if you do more than 120,000 miles in the year, you get GOLD. This is for all Star Alliance flights.

Worth knowing that if you can book no longer than 2 weeks in advance, you need only half the miles for many flights i.e. 15000 will get you a return flight in Europe if you travel within 2 weeks of booking. Not a bad deal though you still have to pay the taxes of course.

sweet ass uncle jamal. thats good info. can book with that trick online?

withall this i repent for not having this earlier i flew about 8 times to india in the past 2 year.. bad luck..  would have alot of miles on my card by now

You can probably retroactively add them to your account for flights that you took within a certain time; perhaps within the last 12 months.

I did it a couple of years ago and all I had to do was send in the ticket stubs, although nowadays you can probably do it online just by giving the flight number and your name. British Airways does that it like that.

No, still need to send in the ticket stubs, last I saw, and yes, can only do this for the last 12 months ! But the Lufthansa year as such runs from January to December, so am not completely sure how this work.

What I mean by the Lufthansa year, is that all status miles earnt between January and December decide your status (normal, Silver, Gold - really annoyed, missed my gold by 1 flight last year !).

My wife and I are both silver club or whatever it is they call it. We have had good luck getting upgrades to business when flying back and forth to the US. In situations where the flights are overbooked, the silver members often will be bumped up into business class first, and at the least, they will actually listen to you when you make seating requests.

Oh, and their little lounges, especially in Munich, are good for a few free beers before a long transatlantic... ;)

They do offer retroactive crediting online, but only for flights operated by Lufthansa itself. If you want to get miles on partner airline flights, you need to send in the stubs.

However, I am not sure if they also allow retroactive crediting for new members, or if it only works if you already were a member when you boarded the plane.

woh!! im sure there is more information here than the Luftansa helpdesk itself B)

Ive registered and all ready to go the extra mile :P

@ Bonydebbie - It is there, but in about a 100 different places, so TT is def the best way to get the info in one place !

@peper

sure, id enjoy working more on my Thesis than reading that Miles and more webpage on the luftansa website..

Just to confirm that u get a temporary miles and more card but your real Card and PIN comes in only after u have made 3000 miles and more..im still waiting to book an airline home..

Besides that can any one tell me how u have to register with financial services for miles and more..

its said on the website that u earn miles with every euro u spend with the sparkasse master card... i have one and use it forgetting its borrowed money :ph34r: Does it come automatically or do u have to show your miles and more card there too???

i think it comes automatically - though you might want to call them and check. I like lufthansa as an airline, so i usually fly it where possible, but the miles&more website is absolute toss - half the time you can't find what you're looking for and when you can the link to that page is usually down. Best bet is just to call them and get all the info first hand!

I'm not sure about the Luftansa programe as I'm not (yet) living in Munich. However, i'm a member of British Airways' frequent flyer program and I clock up most of my miles by using their non airline partners, such as paying for everything with my Americam Express card, banking with Natwest, shopping at Tescos, hiring a car with Avis or Hertz, staying in various branded hotels, etc. Even if you don't fly very much, the miles can add up fairly quickly especially if you respond to the many bonus miles deals that pop up every now and then.

Star Alliance have a partnership with a lot of other places, such as Hertz, Deutsche Bank, etc. Just have to check if they have an alliance, then present your miles and more card, and then you collect bonus miles.

I regularly do this for car hire, and hotel bookings. It is also possible to apply for a Lufthansa Visa or Mastercard, and for every EURO you spend, you collect another mile.

I am a frequent flyer with Star Alliance, but most of my flights are to Amsterdam, Hamburg and Copenhagen. These are really short flights, and the mileage doesn't add up that fast. Now I've heard from a friend that they not only give you status when you've reached your 35000 miles, but also the number of flights you take can give you frequent flyer status as well. I can't find that anywhere on the website though, does anyone know about this?