How to keep infants and babies warm in winter

63 posts in this topic

Put clothes on it?

Seriously, both our kids had/have fleecy bodysuits with closed hands and feet and a hood we put on them to go out, alterbatively there are good waterproof snowsuits available too. Make sure the baby is always wearing a warm hat and invest in either a specific footsack for your stroller or a decent generic one. Its not rocket science.

How old/big is your baby?

When my oldest was a baby (born in January) I carried her around in a baby sling, not only did my body temperature keep her warm, but she was also more content tucked up against me knowing I was near and it also allowed me to have both hands free.

Otherwise keep them layered up. I used a few diifferent woolly blankets in her pram as opposed to one huge thick one.

Make sure the feet are warm, hats and gloves too obviously and don't forget to make sure the ears are covered, the last thing you want is your baby getting an ear infection.

We also has a lambskin rug for the pram for her to lie on and a footsack

My kids need "Wind und Wetter" cream on their cheeks and noses to prevent wind-/cold-burn on their skin. If I forget to bring it with me and/or to put it on before they go out in temps any colder than, say, 5 or 6 degrees C, they end up with bright red, scaly and itchy skin on their cheeks and noses. I have one child with generally sensitive skin and two who have no skin problems otherwise, but all three suffer if I don't grease their faces before they go out. I use Weleda Wind und Wetter, but have found that other brand products work just as well (I just didn't care for the perfumes).

HTH

I second the sheepskin in the bottom of the pram comment. Lots of German moms do this. You can buy them on the net at Babywalz http://www.baby-walz.de/Wohnen-Schlafen/Rund-ums-Schlafen/lammfell.html Also, you can see the famous Fußsacks as you scroll down the page. I had one of these too, but without the lambswoll. I also use(d) wool underwear for my daughter and myself. You can buy silk and wool long underwear for yourself on landsend.de and for your daughter at a place online such as Hessnatur or just google wollunterwäsche I also highly recommend wool socks! I don't know how I survived the winters here before a kind, older German lady revealed the secret of warm tootsies.

I'm always amazed at the number of uncovered hands on the really little ones (<6mo) in the sub-freezing temperatures. :blink: There's not a lot of blood, hence heat, in those little fingers.

When you buy gloves or mittens, get the ones which are connected to each other by a long string. Pull this string through the sleeves of the jacket. These tiny gloves or mittens get lost so easily. I've also just crocheted a long string of chain stiches for gloves that came without this string.

Hats with special flaps to cover the ears are better than the ones without.

Hiya

I'm due to have my 2nd baby per elective section next friday. My first child was a summer baby, which made it easier to dress him on leaving the hospital.

This time I have no idea.

I'll tell you my plans / what I have...

long sleeved vest

normal cotton "strampler"

tights

velour baby strampler with hood

hat

crochet blanket

footmuff for the maxicosi

pram suit (the bear one from H&M)

I was thinking that the vest, tights, velour suit, hat, crochet blanket and the footmuff would be plenty for the journey home. Our car has a "Standheizung" so we can make sure it's warm. I'm just worried that the nurses might think I'm crazy by "Underdressing" my baby.

I clearly remember with my son (born in July 11) being wrapped up snuggly warm by the nurses INSIDE!

Can anyone help?

T.I.A

When I brought my son home he wore a body with socks, pants and a shirt and a one peice snow suit.

You do not want to overheat the baby it is just as dangerious as underdressing them. I would add blankets before too muchg clothing as you can check the back of the neck and remove as needed versus having to fully undress baby and find out he is too hot while on the way.

When we go out now we do long sleeve onsie, socks, nicki pullover, and a nicki strampler. Then a one piece snow suit. Just one layer more then you wear is what the midwives say.

Same as SJ, when we brought the wee one from the hospital (born Feb 2012 during a very freezing cold period), he was wearing a onesie, socks, pyjama bottoms with feet, pyjama top, a hoodie (jacket with hood), cap and we had a sleeping bag especially made for the car seat. germans love their tights (even for boys), but i poo-pooed that. we put him in the car seat in the hospital. no worries, you don't need the car warmed up to 20° before you put your baby in. i was more worried about the temperature of our flat compared to the hospital!

important when you go out that their bassinet is warm and insulated. midwives and other pediatric experts these days no longer advise you to use a lambs wool, but if you do, a good one is pricey. if i had to do it all over again, i'd either buy one or a good-quality sleeping bag (we bought a light-weight bassinet, as a result, it wasn't very well insulated). i only used snowsuits (didn't use the arms, just the body and blankets). we just didn't know about all these things!

now, luckily, we don't need any winter gear :P for christmas, the wee one gets a mini fan for his stroller!

thanks so much for your quick replies!

going to go with

vest, tights, velour baby strampler with hood,(possibly a cardigan too for her top half), hat, blanket and footmuff.

I'm sure they'll try and tell me different!

I clearly remember with my son (born in July 11) being wrapped up snuggly warm by the nurses INSIDE!

My co-worker's first baby was born in August and weighed less than five pounds. She didn't get much input from her own mother, and I told her about dressing babies in flannel nightgowns with a drawstring bottom. But she was kind of modish and wanted her baby to look fashionable, so she dressed her in onesies; after all, it was August and very hot in her town. But at the age of ten days, a checkup revealed that the baby weighed less than her birth weight.

The doctor explained to her that babies need to be kept warm, especially low birth-weight babies, because their bodies will use calories for warmth instead of for nourishment. So the mother went straight to the store to buy warmer clothes, particularly little caps to keep the baby's head warm.

I had three July babies, all 9-pounders, but they wore flannel nighties night and day because I didn't know any different. When my great-grandmother was born, in February 1864, the neighborhood doctor stopped by to see the baby and said, "Wrap it up and keep it warm. It won't live." Well, they kept her pretty warm, because she died one week after her 98th birthday. Warmth for babies is underrated, and those old nosy Omas are actually right most of the time.

All the more fun when you get home and start taking it off, and then realize there are no instruction for putting it back on! It took my inexperienced sister and her husband half an hour to figure out how to re-diaper their newborn sun, back in the day of cloth diapers.

What's driving me nuts is the indoor temp of retail outlets!! It's really cold outside, wrap up snug for the walk to the supermarket, which is hotter than hell! So hard to get the balance right. I'm doing trolley dashes with a half-undressed child in my local supermarket then wrestling with shopping & baby to get it all together again before hitting the streets again.

i wouldn't panic too much. dress your baby like you would dress yourself, then add things you can easily remove, such as blankets. i was a huge fan of hoodies or zip jackets because i would remove the hood and unzip him whenever we went inside somewhere. now, even in this warm weather, i carry a small receiving blanket with me everywhere to cover him up on the subway or in the malls. your newborn cannot regulate their temperature too well, but there's a higher, dangerous chance they'll be too warm than too cold.

Just chipping an extra coin of all information given above by all other kind hearted and concern moms...

About a week ago i (had my first one in may) and a friend who is delivering her baby in the end of dec, piled up some infos around delivery, nursing, and baby care. Our infos are sourced from our doctors, midwives, experienced mothers like many who have contributed here, and websites. Just adding details to the information shared on the above posts :

- newborn needs to be protected from very cold temperature, as her lungs still somehow need to mature (for the first 1-2 months)

- newborn can easily looses warmth from her body, no heat regulation functioning yet

Therefore, minimal outing for newborn in winter would be the wisest thing to do. But if could not be avoided (doctor's appointment etc), wrapping her inside a babywrap (kind of moby wrap, boba wrap) and covering her with your coat/jacket or bundle her in a stroller plus an extra loose cloth over his nose would provide enough warmth and minimizing the inhale of dry cold winter air to her lungs. Dont forget overear hat and woll socks.

Congratulations for your coming baby and enjoy your mothering days!

Babies can go outside as newborns and its recommended. The mentality to keep newborns inside is very outdated and now discouraged.

I also would not suggest wrapping anything around an infants face including mouth or nose, a child who cannot move away and can suffocate to death. They do not make baby ski masks for a reason. We are not in siberia and to be quiet frank even there babies are born and not shuffled into corners indoors away from the elements outside.

Dress your baby appropriatly and watch them check the neck and you will know if baby is warm or cold, you do the same thing at home.

I'm hoping to go for a walk with her and my son once I get out of hospital (need to try out my new double buggy!). These tips will definitely come in very handy.

In netherland, for a new born baby in winter, They ask to use a hot water in aluminium flask rolled in clothes to keep the baby warm. The flask is filled with boiling hot water, properly closed, wrapped in cotton clothes and put side of the baby in such a way that the bed becomes warm.