Bedbugs infestation

137 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, karmakoma said:

Old topic...but what is the Bed Bug situation in Munich?

I've heard that the situation is caused by radicals trying to destabilise the West, stay vigilant.

Not a good sign to be contributing to this thread...but quite certain I'm dealing with this now. I moved into a small Zwischenmiete in a 3er WG 1.5 months ago and within the first week I was slightly itching, mattress cover had dark spots and blood stains... but foolishly didn't connect the dots until recently. Got a new cover last night and just this morning, same signs visible.

Two questions: As I am only now realizing this predicament 1.5 months into my sublease, how guilty would I look as the person who brought them inside? Granted I can't prove any which way either.

In the worst case scenario how much would I be looking to pay financially? In our shared flat I live in a small 10sqm room fairly isolated from my Mitbewohner, who haven't complained of anything yet. Nothing of value, except clothes and suitcases, but I'd rather get a quick quote before calling the exterminator and getting the flatmates/landlord involved.

Ohh and if anyone could recommend where in Berlin I can encase clothing and suitcases and throw them in a giant dryer, for the purpose of sanitizing them. Just any laundromat, or one with suitcase-sized dryers?

Have you actually seen a bedbug yet?  There is lots of information on the internet about how and where to look . Adults are about 5 mm long and easy to spot.   If there are a lot of adults, it would indicate they were there before you arrived because,compared to other insects, they multiply slowlly.  Typical bed bug lays one egg a day, which take about 10 weeks to hatch and 6 weeks to develop into adult.    Did you bring the bed with you, or was it already in the apartment?

bedbug.JPG

Happy family group, egg, larvae and adults.

Bedbug eggs larvae.JPG

I flicked one off my neck early morning, didn't get a close look at it before flushing it but it's pretty similar.

The bed was already provided, but I just checked the mattress (cheap Ikea foam) and nothing.

I'll talk with the other flatmates about the issue, but seeing as I'm moving out in a day anyway, can anyone recommend a way to easily sanitize a suitcase and an average amount of clothing? i.e. as previously mentioned I heard something about vacuum sealing everything for three days and placing in an industrial dryer on high.

I'd wash and dry the clothes and get a new suitcase.

I highly, highly doubt it would be ok to throw a suitcase of any size into a public dryer.  That's not really cool.

2 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I'd wash and dry the clothes and get a new suitcase.

I highly, highly doubt it would be ok to throw a suitcase of any size into a public dryer.  That's not really cool.

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting dropping it off at the laundromat. I was basing my inquiry off of hearing about recommendations to seal and dry everything. Perhaps there are places in Berlin with industrial drying for this purpose?

As others are saying, you need to actually confirm that you have bedbugs.

If you do, allow me to be blunt: you're probably not going to win this on your own.

You need a professional ASAP - they'll either use pesticides or heat treatment which involves sealing each room for 24-48h and heating it to 60C. In both cases they'll also spread silica gel desiccant in various places. This sticks to the bugs and eventually kills them by dehydrating them.

If you really, really insist on doing this on your own, you're going to need nerves of steel and a lot of patience. Start by reading this:

https://www.bedbugs.org/

Your bed has to be completely disassembled and disinfected using something like a Polti Cimex Eradicator steam unit. Move the bed away from the walls, curtains or any surface that touches it.

Then under each leg of the bed, put a glue board trap. Basically, you're going to act as bait over a few months until they all get caught on the traps. The traps need to be changed every few weeks as they lose their stickiness due to dust.

Here's how to make one for wood floors (using Trapper Max or something similar):

Here's how to make one for carpets:

These videos were made by a long time researcher/exterminator whose methods have proven to be very successful:

https://www.winnipegbedbugheating.com/blog/

59 minutes ago, Pandekage said:

but seeing as I'm moving out in a day anyway

So pack your things, go to a Waschsalon, wash and dry everything. Throw away the suitcase and get a new one.

49 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So pack your things, go to a Waschsalon, wash and dry everything. Throw away the suitcase and get a new one.

Will do. Are backpacks washable as well, or are they too intricate, i.e. too "survivable" for the bugs in the wash/dryer?

9 hours ago, Pandekage said:

Will do. Are backpacks washable as well, or are they too intricate, i.e. too "survivable" for the bugs in the wash/dryer?

Bed bugs die in about an hour at 45 degrees Celsius and faster as the temperature increases. If you wash your textiles at 60 degrees and then dry them in the dryer you are good to go.

If you are using a German dryer use the "Schranktrocken" setting, which will be the longest and most thorough.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I've "cleansed" the first half of my belongings that I brought with me during my first relocation to a new city. Once I find a new place here I'll get the rest of my stuff, rinse and repeat. Hope this is behind me. They weren't kidding about the emotional toll of these buggers.