Bedbugs infestation

137 posts in this topic

Edit to above post: Disregard #1., you won't have to get rid of anything you can't fit in the dryer. Just spray them (including crevices) with the soap 2x and you'll be good.

@ FF - Are you saying you have soap that kills bedbugs AND lice? Would this be head lice, crabs, etc.?

Do you have any kind of official reports on this? Anything to back up your statements except for your own marketing dept.?

@Moondancer- Yes, I'm saying my soap is effective for killing bedbugs AND lice...including head lice, crabs etc. My soap is a botanic surfactant made of food grade ingredients. Surfactants are commonly used in pesticides/insecticides to penetrate the exoskeleton of insects to deliver the poison. My soap is able to penetrate and dissolve the exoskeleton membrane which essentially immobilizes bugs without the help of poison. Actually, soap has been historically used in farming as an insecticide, unfortunately most soaps are made with toxic chemicals, mine is not.

A simple search comes up with these links for further support...

ehow - Can Soapy Water Kill Bugs On Houseplants?

Colorado State University- Insect Control: Soaps and Detergents

Soaps have been used to control insects for more than 200 years. Recently, there has been increased interest in and use of these products. This change is due to a better understanding of how to use soaps most effectively and a desire to try insecticides that are easier and safer to use than many currently available alternatives.

How soaps and detergents kill insects is still poorly understood. In most cases, control results from disruption of the cell membranes of the insect. Soaps and detergents may also remove the protective waxes that cover the insect, causing death through excess loss of water.

An update on bedbugs problem

I was having the bedbugs problem and it was really getting from bad to worse. I tried many things but nothing was working and I had begun to distress that they would never go. A Toytowner C-KIwi advised me to use diatomaceous earth. I ordered it online and sprayed it everywhere in my house. It was uncomfortable for several days to see my house sprayed powder white but it was at any rate better than to get bitten by bugs.

It took about a month and half to get myself rid of them entirely and I am a normal, sane, happy man again since about a year now. I am surprised at myself why I didn't post this update long before.

A word of advice to anyone suffering from bedbugs.

Use Diatomaceous earth everywhere in your house and give repeated sprays every week till you get rid of all of them. At the most it will take really only one and a half month. Nothing else, steaming, insecticide, killing etc. etc. etc. is required. And it is pretty cheap too. I payed only 22 euros for buying the stuff; it bought my peace and happiness too.

Thanks a million Toytown and thanks a billion C-kiwi...!!!

A month and a half seems like a long time to get rid of them. I think I'd go mad by then.

Diatomaceous earth is known as Kieselgur in German and is used by chicken keepers to avoid and fight parasite infestations. In facts it's fossilised single-celled algae.

It's absolutely non-toxic - and just like florida_flower describes (maybe it's an ingredient in her soap?) - acts by drying the insects out as soon as they get it on their exoskeleton.

It literally stops them in their path, it's very interesting to see a mite (they are big enough to see and normally run like hell) try to cross a line of Kieselgur, the mite just stops - looks a bit like a robot in a SF movie whose joints have suddenly locked up.

post-24869-13193632673741.jpeg

In order for it to work on the insects (fleas and mites=Vogelmilben in the case of chickens) it has to be very finely powdered (= ultra fein), so it's no use buying the coarser grained type which is used in swimming pool maintenance, or the one in pellet form which is a fodder additive for horses (yes, they eat it, so it's not dangerous to use around the house).

You can buy the fine stuff used by the chicken keepers here, and they also sell it on eBay.

Florida Flower

A month and a half seems like a long time to get rid of them. I think I'd go mad by then.

It is however not, considering you tried sooooooooo many different painful things over a long period of time and nothing worked.

That is more agonising than the fact that you need only one and half month or probably less to win this battle.

PandaMunich

You have provided some nice info on Diatomaceous earth. Thanks. All of it is true except that the powder immediately strikes the bugs and disables them.

No it doesn't.

In order to be disabled, the creepy creatures need to spend some time with the powder anywhere on their body. That's why this extermination strategy takes so long. We need to spray the powder everywhere in the house including the walls, ceiling, floor, bed posts, mattress, bed wedges, everywhere and let the powder sit there for as long as you can afford to. The creatures when pass through or crawl on the powder get coated and the drying effect starts to happen and takes about 24 hours or more to make them die.

When I first sprayed the powder in my house, apparently I too had expected something like "You touch and you die" kind of thing for them. They didn't and continued to crawl rather steadily. Then a cruel idea occurred to me. I took a large tumbler and put some bugs into it along with a spoon of the powder. The bugs died only after a day or a half. This experiment restored my confidence and patience and knew that it will work eventually and it did.

Another observation which I had made earlier was to spry a strong insecticide spray on some bugs in a glass and found they didn't die.

Thanks for the update. And I can confirm that it is harmless. I've been using the stuff (in food quality) as a nutritional supplement for years. Welcome side benefit are strong and fast growing fingernails.

Please read my posts #25 and #33.

They can be gotten rid of in one day. Our exterminator used a non-toxic enzyme.

They hide behind/in pictures, in elecrtical outlets and other places that you just can't powder or clean.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

What is the situation with bed bugs in Germany?

Here in Sweden they are common neighbors. I really afraid them, it took me three month to sleep with light on and fight.

DDT is banned now. That's actually how bedbugs have managed their resurgence after being almost all but eradicated in the West in the mid-20th century.

WE had bed bugs about 10 years ago from a bedspread we bought at a turkish bazaar. We had them for several weeks before figuring out what was making us itch. We called about 6 different pest control companies in the yellow pages and the pices varied from 300 (without a bill) to 800. We were told by one company that they would have to report our problem to the authorities (gesundheitamt?)in case it had spread to the neighbors and they implied we'd be liable. We promptly hung up and went for the other option. a guy came and sprayed the enzyme thing (mentioned by previous poster). We threw out the bedspread. We washed all bed linens at 90 degrees. The problem never came back even though we kept the mattress and every thing else. It was expensive, but it was worth it. So worth it. It was all over in about 24 hours and we got our life back. I definitely recommend going to professionals.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello. I live in a Studentenwohnheim and 3 days ago i just noticed bedbugs on my room. I have killed them by squishing a lot, moved my bed and table from the wall (when i squished them on walls this morning, they have no blood), and uncovered my bed. I have contacted the Landlord and he called the professionals yesterday, but they don't know when they could make an appointment for me... The landlord also said that he tried to phone again today but until now i don't have any news. Other than that, he suggested me to sleep elsewhere (which i couldn't) and wash my clothes, or put it on Freezer for one day. But my freezer still has frozen food and it's small, so i couldn't freeze them on large scale?

I read on the other thread in here, that the professionals work for one day and the problem are done. Should we also prepare,like putting your clothes on plastic, etc. to make the success rate higher? If so, what are those? I heard that in Germany you cannot exterminate themselves.

Before i know these bedbugs, i have washed my clothes in cold water setting (Eco plus 20) and already put them in the dresser. which from what i read, couldn't kill the bed bug. I am really afraid that those bedbugs have laid their eggs on my clothes, and already spread on my other clothes (i squished one big and one small ones on my jacket this morning, i wore this jacket to sleep 3 days ago and travel with it). Is it also possible, when you sit on a chair, the bedbugs move to this chair, even though it's still in egg phase? I am really horrified... I put the clothes i washed before on plastic (but it's a Mullbeutel, not the black ones, is that enough as long as i tie them tightly..?) but not all of the clothes, and i put all on one plastic bag... I don't need to put them oen by one, right?

Do i need to wash ALL of my clothes? There is trockener (Should i use this? It's heat?) but i don't know which setting should i use. I never use this, should i wash them first then put them on trockener or is it possible to just put them in trockener? Also, the wash machine, i read that we need to use 125 C but they don't have it here... Could any of you help me with the settings?

For now, i uncovered my bed and blanket and using the same clothes to sleep until the pro comes, as i thought it'll be useless if i sleep on bed with bedbugs and they infested my new clothes... do i make a good decision?

I hunt these bedbug before going to school, and they were on walls today (as i moved the bed) and only few on my bed and blanket. There were bedbugs across the room too, on the walls near my table, which is where my laptop and book is... what should i do? Should i buy alcohol somewhere and wipe my laptop,books,chair,tables with it? Should i wait for the professionals? My suitcases are near the wall and dresser, i am afraid they are infected too. I've read many articles that i don't want to see microscopic bedbugs images again... I am really scared and stressed.

Sorry for too many questions and if you have a headache as you read this... I hope you understand

post-254158-14133859987823_thumb.jpg

post-254158-14133860067194_thumb.jpg

You can't kill them. They hide out and multiply in every kind of dark place or crack. Have you pulled your mattress out and looked closely.

The only thing for it is a professional exterminator immediately. Ours came same day when we had them years ago.

Get out of there and leave your infested clothes behind. You are spreading them around everywhere you go.

Before i know these bedbugs, i have washed my clothes in cold water setting

Bzzt.. Hotter the better for washing, freezer if going the fridge route.

I got them in Hawaii while at a hostel. SO took my luggage, upon arrival in Portland, to a laundry mat that had industrial size machines. Its not the washing that kills them its the dryer. So put them all through the dryer twice. I knew it would ruin one or two shirts but sent them through as well rather than throw them in the bin. Then got some cream to apply to my arms and applied it for a week. I also placed gloves on my hands while I slept that week to prevent scratching. If you are renting a room then I would request a new room. Viel glück.