Bedbugs infestation

137 posts in this topic

The best way to get rid of beg bugs is to put your mattress outside in the sun! (I guess it is probably a little difficult now that it is not summer anymore). Bed bugs are only active at night, so if you stick your mattress outside for 2 - 3 days - they will have to move on (they are hungry little buggers)

What is a "gnit"? A gnat? A nit?

denglish. Sorry. A gnat+ a "gnitze" (german mücke)

The best way to get rid of beg bugs is to put your mattress outside in the sun! (I guess it is probably a little difficult now that it is not summer anymore). Bed bugs are only active at night, so if you stick your mattress outside for 2 - 3 days - they will have to move on (they are hungry little buggers)

A sustained temperature of over 113°F (45°) for at least 60-90 minutes is required to kill bedbugs. So unless you live in the Sahara Desert, dragging you bed outside won't do any good. Besides the fact that the little buggers will also be hanging out elsewhere in your room besides you bed.

Bed bugs can live for months without feeding (as mentioned above) so they definitely won't move on after a few days, especially if they can associate your bed with a virtual smörgåsbord of food sources. They'll wait it out gladly.

Can somebody please tell me where I can buy some type of bedbug repellent spray in Kreuzberg (or actually anywhere in Berlin at this stage!!)

It seems that since we have been unfortunate enough to encounter these little feckers, we can't seem to find any spray to get rid of them.

Now I know I shouldn't spray them, but we are waiting for the owners of our apartment block to sort out the fumigators (which is about a month now) so I just can't continue letting them bite me every night, seriously, I look like a leper.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Nic187, forget the spray. This problem needs professional help, aka a pest controller with the proper spray. But, give the Mieterbund in your area a call, they will have a time for questions via the telephone and a hour (or possibily more) for you to come in and they will help you. The first thing would be to write a letter to your landlord giving them a deadline and have the letter sent registered, signed for. The Mieterbund will help you establish a reasonable deadline, given that the landlord has already had a month. If the landlord does not respond to the deadline, then the Mieterbund will help you establish how much you can reduce your rent by.

I don't envy anyone with this problem. I had a neighbour downstairs who had them and I nearly went out of the head with worry, checking the mattress everynight, on my knees looking for tiny dark spots, anything. They smell too, even worse if you squash one. Ok, got to stop now, I'm getting very itchy and nervous...

Thanks for that, will look into it. Apparently the problem lies with one tenant in our apartment complex who refuses to let the landlord in to her place to see how bad the problem is, and they can't fumigate until she agrees to have it done too. I kind of don't know what position I'm in because I am renting from a girl who usually rents this place, but is away for a few months, so should it be up to her to go to the Mieterbund? She has already reduced our rent to make up for the problem. It just seems like nothing is being done about it by the owner, so frustrating!

Yes she reduced our rent for this month and is extremely apologetic. So gross, a DHL package arrived yesterday and I wasn't here to recieve it, so it was given to a neighbour (I don't know their names at all)..and guess what neighbour it was- the lady who is causing the problem. She opened the door and I nearly died, she had flies in her hair and I could see into her kitchen, it was black with filth. I think the department of hygenics are now on her case, but gross, I didn't want to take the packet!! :(

Ughh. Well hopefully the health department will get permission to go in there since she's endangering the health of the other tenants as well as her own.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Does anyone know what stores here in Germany carry bed bug sprays?

Thanks,

Michelle

To sort this you are probably going to have to get Rentokill in. Bed Bugs = Bettwanzen

For somereasons, this thread hadn’t come up in my search results. What I’ve read on here is just terrifying! Thank God I have no such problem. I’m planning on doing some traveling and Iwould like to take a spray with me preventively, as I read horrible storiesabout the hotel mattresses.

Joe, do you have any idea what store carries this Rentokill? I've checked out OBI, as someone suggested this store, but they said they don't carry it.

Thanks,

Michelle

Rentokill is a pest control company (exterminators in the vernacular). The poisons they use tend to be rather, well, poisonous, so they're specially licensed.

Recently I moved into a furnished apartment where my good and kind landlord has supplied me with a bedbug infested second hand mattress in an otherwise really excellent house. Initially I didn't even know what was causing me the agony until one day I checked close enough.

The problem is, there is no option for me but to stay put in this house and get rid of bugs somehow without getting a hole in my pocket. I have heard pest control can be very expensive and definitely my landlord cannot be approached on this matter owing to his super nice mood.

Is there any special pesticide or chemical available in supermarkets or some effective home remedy to get rid of the menace?

I will be very thankful for any help from you guys.

Nasty little critters they are. My brother picked them up from backpacking. The B****** hide everywhere.

Firstly get rid of the mattress. Then vacuum the car you have taken the mattress in. You then have to clean the vacuum cleaner. Then you have to vacuum the whole bedroom. Wash all your bedding on 60 or higher. You have to vaccum every crevice. Even the sideboards. They love cracks. Then you need to clean the vacuum cleaner. Get rid of the bag and scrub the hoover. The pipes and everything. They are really nasty little critters.

Good luck

If that doesn't work, you will have to call pest control and get the flat fumigated.

I’m planning on doing some traveling and Iwould like to take a spray with me preventively, as I read horrible stories about the hotel mattresses.

There are various bug sprays around, but I doubt that anything you could buy over the counter would do the job properly.

It can be painful but not impossible to get rid of an infestation.

1. Get rid of everything you can't fit in a dryer. Mattress, pillows, books, couch, other furniture because they will hide in the crevices.

2. Put clothes, bedding, shoes, other small soft things that can fit into a dryer and zap them on high heat. Repeat. Seal stuff than can't be put into a dryer in a ziplock bag and leave it out in the sun to bake. (Bedbugs are very sensitive to heat and will die).

3. The tend to hide in the corners, cracks, electric sockets etc. in the walls and are triggered by your heat and CO2 to come out so move your new clean mattress to the center of the room away from the walls.

4. Turn up the heating (see #2).

5. Line the rooms with a hygroscopic substance. You get natural non-toxic ones.

Do this for about a month and they should die out. I did say it would be painful...

The above post is excellent advice. Fumigating may kill the bugs but the residual toxic chemicals will do some damage to you and your little ones too (kids and/or pets). My botanic non-toxic soap will kill bed bugs, and all kinds of lice etc. I recommend to do the steps above then washing everything with my soap, including your laundry. Go around and use a new hand pump sprayer (the kind you would use for spraying pesticides in the garden about 10€ at OBI) and spray the entire house, beds, floors, furniture etc and let sit. While you let it all dry naturally, take a bath and soak in soapy water, it will get rid of any bugs that may be hitchhiking on your body. Repeat this for 2 days and you should be rid of them. I have a standing offer to anyone on TT who would like a free sample, please PM me if you are interested. Again, it's a free (except for the pump sprayer) and highly effective solution. No strings attached.

P.S. you can use a hand sprayer and take it along while traveling and use it in hotel rooms to lower your risk of infection. I never leave home without it. :)

Peace,

f_f