Want to use WIFI-Modem with IPad

13 posts in this topic

Am planning a trip to Germany over christmas, to see christmas markets. I have an Ipad with "wifi only" that I use with home wifi and hotspots. I want to be able to use it when I travel around Germany to check email, etc. So my plan is:

I have a Huawei E5 wireless modem (modem completely unlocked)

HSUPA/HSDPA/UMTS

GSM/GPRS/EDGE

Support 5.76Mbps HSUPA and 7.2Mbps HSDPA services

Support Wi-Fi 802.11b/g

Receive diversity (2100MHz)

Plug & Play

Support Windows 2000/XP/Vista , Mac and Linux Operation Systems

I intend to buy a prepaid sim such as the "callya" from Vodafone, for the modem, and then purchase "websessions" for the time I will be in Germany.

My questions are - will this work? Is there a better way? I will only be in country for about three weeks.

Also from what I have been able to glean from forum and websites - will I need Dashboard to activate everything?

I also have APN for websessions = "event.vodafone.de" Username - "web" Password - "web" dial-up num " *99# " are all these settings correct?

One poster stated that "Application like map very difficult to work with this SIM Card, because map software need to connect to internet and before that you need to open your browser to start websessions and keep it running (some phone not allow 2 programs to connect to internet at the same time) "

Is this true that you have to start websessions each and every time you want to connect to internet?

Hope my questions are not to convoluted

Here's the info your looking for - Link

My questions are - will this work? Is there a better way? I will only be in country for about three weeks.

Yes, There might be but Websessions is good enough for 3 weeks.

Also from what I have been able to glean from forum and websites - will I need Dashboard to activate everything?

Nope, when you connect using the WS SIM and try navigating to a website, it asks you which block of time you want to buy.

Select the time you need, select "Take from current Prepaid balance", and surf.

I also have APN for websessions = "event.vodafone.de" Username - "web" Password - "web" dial-up num " *99# " are all these settings correct?

Looks like it, but the SIM card has those settings already. You shouldn't need to reenter this data.

Is this true that you have to start websessions each and every time you want to connect to internet?

Kind of. It depends on what length of time you bought. If you bought like 1 day worth of time, then you only need

to go thru the blocking/buying process once per day. If you by in 15min blocks, then you need to go thru the process every 15min.

Thanks Darkknight for your quick reply.

I really appreciate it. Just one clarification. If I purchase a full month - if I log off during the day, would I then need to go through the blocking/buying process each day selecting the "Take from current Prepaid balance"? Or be easier to just stay logged in entire visit?

If you buy 1 month at a time, then you only need to go thru the process 1 time every 30 days, not every time.

So when you get here, hit-up a Vodaphone store, buy a prepaid websession SIM for 19.99, and a Callya top-up

card for 40-50 Eur. Redeem the top-up code and your card will have enough $ for you to buy 1 month of data time.

I did this with vodafone in Italy a couple of weeks ago for the same purpose (using MiFi > Laptop and ipad) - 20 EUR bought me the SIM card, including 20 EUR credit... each day I used it was 1 EUR @ 300 MB/day. Quite a bit cheaper than here! Here I use O2's prepaid mobile broadband - 25 EUR/month for up to 5GB. The only problem was that I had to specify the APN in the device

Timetraveler,

Were you successful using this method when you went to Germany?

I am in Germany for 2 weeks/month for the next 8 months and want to use the same method.

Thanks,

I was successful in this approach, but it took a little work.

I purchased the Huawei E5 Wireless router, which when purchased from O2 is unlocked. I did not get the SIM from O2 because I have found their coverage to be somewhat less expansive than Vodafone's.

I went to a Vodafone store to purchase the WebSessions SIM, but found they do not carry the SIM by itself anymore. My only option was to purchase the Stick which cost an additional €20. I then activated the Stick on my laptop and purchased my block of time. Next I removed the SIM from the Stick and put it in my router. I had to access the configuration and setup the router config to match what was setup automatically when I installed the Vodafone software on my laptop. I was able to connect and I can access the Web from both my laptop and my iPad almost anywhere I go. I have found that I only get 3G when the router is outdoors. Indoors I only get 2G. But for only €12 a week to be able to take it with me anywhere it is worth it.

One other note. Whenever the router loses and regains the connection you must launch the iPad browser and establish the connection to Vodafone's launchpad...an annoyance, but one i can live with...since most hotel networks here make you do the same thing.

I am going to Bavaria in December but this time will be staying where there is no wifi.  . I have an Ipad with "wifi only" that I use with home wifi and hotspots. I want to be able to use it whilst there for just a week.   Any recommendations on a reliable method of getting wifi please?

Do you have a modern android or apple phone? If so just use it as a personal hotspot. It's been relatively trivial to do this with most smartphones for the last few years.

If not then buying a mobile hotspot is probably the best thing.

Contact your hosts and ask them which wireless network gets best speeds, then go buy something from that provider.

By no wifi, I assume you mean no internet connection at all.  So then you need to use the mobile network.

The simplest way is probably to use your smartphone as a wifi hotspot.  It connects via LTE to the mobile network and shares the connection via WIFI.  Your iPad (and other devices) then connect to the smart-phone via wifi.

Then there are various variations of this by using an LTE modem in the same way, but this means purchasing a modem which adds cost.

If your mobile doesn't have a hotspot function you can pick up a Nokia 3310 for less than 50 euros that does that: it can convert an LTE signal into a WIFI network.

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3310_4g_can_make_lte_powered_wifi_hotspot-news-29380.php

Depending how much volume you reckon you'll eat through in a week, you can get a pre paid card to use that just one time. Ortel Mobile has good deals with up to 50 GB a month at 21 Mbits/s speeds. If reception is decent in the property, that's enough for Netflix binging. 

https://www.ortelmobile.de/optionen/internet-flats.html