UK passport renewal procedure looks easy

246 posts in this topic

I'm sending my application form off tomorrow, and because I'm replacing a lost passport it seems I have to fill in section 4 - parents' details, which includes their passport numbers.

I find this a bit ridiculous, but it concerns me because I am not able to get this information. Has anyone faced this issue? I don't want to send the application off without having filled this section in, and then it gets delayed or declined, but I genuinely can't fill it in.

The form doesn't provide the option for an explanation to say why I have left it blank, but only an option to include additional information that won't fit in the insect-size boxes provided.

The second problem I have is that I know exactly when, where, and how my passport was lost: it was accidentally destroyed when moving, but it already expired, so I didn't bother with a police report. I have the form and will send it to them and explain the situation surrounding the loss. Does anyone know if this will cause a delay, or will they expect a filed report?

I would feel like a bit of a numpty going to the police to report something I lost over a year ago.

Oh well, Liverpool it is then.

You say that, but it's 3 weeks later and you haven't sent it yet. Get off yer arse and send the darn thing in already. Yes, I'm replying to myself now :blink: :huh:

The form doesn't provide the option for an explanation to say why I have left it blank, but only an option to include additional information that won't fit in the insect-size boxes provided.

Let me guess, and your not allowed to include a simple letter/memo on a separate piece of paper in the same envelope

explaining your reasons for not being able to fill out said section?? Really, atleast try to use that grey mass between your ears.

Why don't you try answering like an adult, and maybe you should use the grey mass between your ears for actually reading properly. My problem was not the lack of option available to submit a blank piece of paper providing an explanation, but wanting to know that if I do so, will it even make a difference.

I'm trying to avoid sending the form while leaving that section blank, and then having them reject my application - for which I will have to pay the wonderful Home Office twice for allowing me the privilege.

but wanting to know that if I do so, will it even make a difference.

Just do it and find out. This way you have a 50/50 chance. If you do nothing your chances are 0.

Another option would be to actually call the people who know these things in great detail.. The UK Passport Office in Liverpool,

not some random expats with varying stories and results which are only valid for them and should not be considered the standard.

Everybody's situation is unique.

Yes, thank you. I had thought of that. You know, by using that grey mass between my ears. I will phone them first thing tomorrow before sending anything. All I wanted to know was if anyone had a similar issue before. I'm going on the assumption that a few expats may not have contact to their parents, or perhaps they are no longer here; therefore, this seems like a bit of a silly rule to have. Especially when they provide no further explanation, or the option to provide further information if you can't provide these details. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has been in this predicament.

You say that, but it's 3 weeks later and you haven't sent it yet. Get off yer arse and send the darn thing in already. Yes, I'm replying to myself now

No worries, mine is almost two years past expiry and I'm just getting round to it. Perhaps if we send our applications together, they might give us a discount ;)

Anyone care to clarify the meaning of this?

post-8795-13703369474232_thumb.png

It's the wording I'm having trouble with. The way they've tacked "and they must sign one of your passport photos" on the end. It's not clear (to me) whether they only have to sign a photo if I'm not recognisable from the photos (compared to my current passport photos), or if the photo signing has to be done in either case.

The photo must always be signed by the contersignatory. In doing so he confirms it looks like the person applying for the passport

I don't think that's right. See https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

"You must get your application form and 1 photo signed if you’re applying for: your first adult or child passport, a replacement for a lost, stolen or damaged passport, a renewal of a passport for a child aged 11 or under, a renewal of a passport if your appearance has changed and you can’t be recognised from your existing passport"

i.e. if you are doing a standard renewal (and haven't changed in appearance) your photos do not need countersigning

The photo must always be signed by the contersignatory. In doing so he confirms it looks like the person applying for the passport

if you are doing a standard renewal (and haven't changed in appearance) your photos do not need countersigning

This was my problem, it was a 50/50 call on the meaning and now I've got a 50/50 response :D :D

Looking at the photos, it appears I'm still very recognisable. Bit older, fatter, and less hair, but clearly the same person. Unless we get a concensus, I suppose it's safest to get the signature.

I am very certain that the information on the gov.uk site is correct (why wouldn't it be?). You can also phone the Passport Adviceline

Telephone: 0300 222 0000 and ask. They are helpful and will give you a non crowd-sourced answer.

(Anecdotal evidence: I did not get my form or photos countersigned when I renewed my passport in 2007. I did get the photos countersigned and the form filled in by the countersignatory this year when using the fast track system in London to replace a damaged passport. However, it was a Saturday, and the system for checking countersignatories doesn't run on that day: but the lady there told me that the countersignatory wasn't actually necessary as my photo on the passport was still in good condition and I looked the same, so I had no problems)

I am very certain that the information on the gov.uk site is correct (why wouldn't it be?). You can also phone the Passport Adviceline

Telephone: 0300 222 0000 and ask. They are helpful and will give you a non crowd-sourced answer.

(Anecdotal evidence: I did not get my form or photos countersigned when I renewed my passport in 2007. I did get the photos countersigned and the form filled in by the countersignatory this year when using the fast track system in London to replace a damaged passport. However, it was a Saturday, and the system for checking countersignatories doesn't run on that day: but the lady there told me that the countersignatory wasn't actually necessary as my photo on the passport was still in good condition and I looked the same, so I had no problems)

Cool. I'm convinced. Thanks a lot. :D

It doesn't hurt or cost money to sign it, so why not? Then you have all bases covered...

It doesn't hurt, but it does cost time and money (fuel). The only person I can think of who'd be suitable (and relatively nearby) is a school headteacher. He works days, I work evenings, so an overlap wouldn't happen until the weekend. By not getting it signed, I can get it in the post today.

My daughter renewed her passport recently with out a countersigned photo, new passport was issued with no problems.

It doesn't hurt or cost money to sign it, so why not? Then you have all bases covered...

Well, the counter-signatory needs to live in the UK, which could be a pain from abroad.

Well, the counter-signatory needs to live in the UK, which could be a pain from abroad.

Actually, anyone with an EU passport who meets the professional criteria would suffice. It does say it would be quicker if it's a UK person though.

post-8795-13703405750384.png

Good to know - thanks. That's at odds with the information on https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications!