UK passport renewal procedure looks easy

246 posts in this topic

My replacement UK passport just arrived! I sent the application off to Düsseldorf on 11 October, and it is nowadays forwarded to the UK for processing. It was a replacement for a stolen one, which officially comes with a 6-week processing time. Also, my original documents came at the same time - although in a separate shipment, both DHL express, but the passport came from UK while the docs were returned from Düsseldorf.

I'm well impressed (apart from with the cost).

Hi Guys,

I am going to go back to the Uk to get my passport renewed. This means hanging out for a few weeks but I will have plenty to do.. See some friends and play some golf and so on. . Also, the thought of being without ID in Germany for a few weeks does not appeal to me. i have no other form of ID. Is this an overreaction on my part?

Colin

I must be missing something... you're going back to the UK to renew your passport and will wait there for a few weeks whilst it is processed... so how are you going to be without ID in Germany for a few weeks? Surely you'll pick up your passport and then come back to Germany?

I understood it that if he stays in Germany and sends his passport in for renewal instead of collecting it in person in the UK, he would be without ID in Germany.

I've had my passport renewed twice since I've been here and both times it only took a couple of weeks. How often do you need to show your ID in Germany anyway? Take a photocopy and if anyone desperately need to see your ID, show them the copy, and the date and say it's been sent off for renewal. Easy.

Although the extortionate price of getting the thing renewed abroad would be a good reason to get it done in the UK.

Given your experience of either renewing your UK passport via mail/courier to the Liverpool office, or doing it in Germany, which would you say was easiest? I'm in the 6-months-to-renewal phase now where I can renew early, so delays won't bother me (as I don't plan to leave the country in the next 4 months or so). I don't mind paying a bit extra to do it in Germany if it's a nicer experience.

Last time I renewed it was in Frankfurt in person (drove up to the embassy and did it). But from looking through this thread, it seems that Dusseldorf is now where it all happens.

I sent the application off to Düsseldorf ... and it is nowadays forwarded to the UK for processing.

Only a few posts back, I stated that it is now all handled centrally in the UK. If you send everything to Düsseldorf, you will get two courier packs back - Düsseldorf verifies your accompanying documentation and confirms to the UK people, who issue your actual passport.

Which is easier for you will depend entirely on whether you have a good reason to plan a trip back to the UK or not. Going there specifically to get your passport renewwed will cost more than paying for the couriers.

Only a few posts back, I stated that it is now all handled centrally in the UK. If you send everything to Düsseldorf, you will get two courier packs back - Düsseldorf verifies your accompanying documentation and confirms to the UK people, who issue your actual passport.

Which is easier for you will depend entirely on whether you have a good reason to plan a trip back to the UK or not. Going there specifically to get your passport renewwed will cost more than paying for the couriers.

Oh, so they will verify your countersignature person identity if they're German (because it's way easier for them to do that), and any German documentation. Then when it gets to the UK, they've got less to do because these aspects are pre-checked. Sounds good. I'll send to Dusseldorf then :) Cheers :)

Derek, I don't think they actually send any of the documentation (other than the actual application) to the UK at all. They confirm it to their UK colleagues who then process the rest.

Derek, I don't think they actually send any of the documentation (other than the actual application) to the UK at all. They confirm it to their UK colleagues who then process the rest.

Even better :) Thanks.

It says the "the Düsseldorf Passport Section counter [is] closed", so you can't hand in your application personally. You can only post it to the [same] address.

It looks like this link no longer offers any info about Dusseldorf. Does anyone have the address I need to send to? I don't see it anywhere in the thread.

Actually, Google hates me.

I've been to that site. It takes you through a few steps, the final one being "send your completed form and documents to Liverpool".

It is possible they've stopped even accepting postal applications in Düsseldorf by now. I did mine in October (can't remember the address, but I did find it via google) and there was a remark somewhere that things are in a transition period and eventually everything will be handled centrally in the UK...so maybe they've got to that stage already.

Concerning posting documents to Liverpool:if you are in a hurry (as I was) don't use Eilbrief. This is supposed to be next day in Germany and one or two days more to UK. Mine was posted Monday, got to the international centre in Franfurt on Wedensday night, landed in the UK on Sunday and finally delivered on Tuesday. The only quick way seems to be DHL Express for 42,90 eek!

Top marks to the UK Identity and Passport Service, I received the new document today (posted forms 06 May, received in Liverpool 15th, first delivery attempt in Hamburg made 24th May).

An interesting conundrum at the DHL Express office - I had to show the delivery card plus my passport to pick up my passport. Fortunately copies of every official German document I had plus my driving licence was acceptable identification.

I had to show the delivery card plus my passport to pick up my passport.

I don't think you are the first to have met this chicken-and-egg situation :)

Kudos for being well-prepared.