UK passport renewal procedure looks easy

246 posts in this topic

Mine came back a couple of days after the new one came, along with all my supporting documents. I, like you, thought it weird. The FCO wasn't too pleased that I emailed again and they directed me to their website where, "it is all clearly explained in there." So I sent them a snotty email back telling them if it were so clear, I wouldn't be contacting them again (or in words to that effect). They then saw fit to give me the tracking number for the package but no explanations as to why my docs were later than my new passport when I have always had those back first. A day later, the package arrived with DHL.

Some applications are already being sent on to UK. My son's took three weeks. The cancelled old passport was posted back from Düsseldorf, the new one arrived directly form an office in UK.

As was pointed out earlier, they currently process and approve the application in Düsselbarf, but manufacture and ship the final product from the UK. It seems that in the future it may all be done in the UK.

Hey PP, went to the Meldeamt this morning to change my name with my new passport. Was a piece of piss, although the stoney-faced Beamtin seemed a bit confused and did ask me if I had some other kind of Bestätigung to say I had changed my name and wanted to know why I didn't change it when I got married, since we had been in the office then. Told her we don't have that piece of paper and that the process for getting a new passport was a bit long, and she was okay with it. Took about 5 mins all in all. Now I'm all legal and official again :D

Great, hopefully It will be just as easy for me! I have my German marriage certificate and will have my new passport soon (hopefully), so I can't imagine they will need much more than that...

This might interest Brits in Germany returning to the UK.

There is not the slightest problem going in and out with an out-of-date passport.

The Russians held my current passport for yonks when I applied for a visa.

Had to go back to the UK in the meantime.

No problems at all with the UK Borders Agency (or the French) at Dunkirk -

similarly at Dover when returning.

...or travel anywhere but the UK.

Still, it's nice to know for those worst case scenarios.

Mrs AB has just renewed her British passport via Düsseldorf and everything went smoothly until the actual delivery of the new passport.

She decided to query this via Feedback.passportservices@fco.gov.uk:

I am pleased to report that my passport arrived safely today, for which I thank you.

What concerns me is that the passport was placed by DHL into my mailbox without any requirement for me to sign for it!

Is this your normal procedure?

It seems to me that the informality of this method of delivery makes a complete nonsense of all the care taken by you and by me to ensure the safe delivery and return by courier of my application form and supporting documents, not to mention the expense in sending by courier rather than by registered post!

When my supporting documents were returned by you some weeks ago, it so happened that I was not at home. The package apparently could not be left with one of my neighbours and I therefore had to go in person to the courier's offices to collect and sign for it.

In my opinion, this is how my new passport should have been handled.

And she received the following response:

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to hear how your new passport was delivered (under waybill number xxxxxxxxxxxx). We have agreements in place with DHL that every package we send through them should be signed for on delivery. You are correct, your new passport should have been handled in the same way as the old.

I have copied in our DHL liaison team to this reply; all feedback is logged and passed to DHL so that they can see what problems are occurring and where, and take the necessary steps to improve the service. We expect applicants' documents to be handled as safely and securely as we would wish for our own and I'm sorry that the service on this occasion didn't meet expectations.

Has everyone been having to sign for their new passport as one would expect? Or was the Passport Services response a load of blah blah blah?

Just for the record, the whole process took just over 4 weeks from start to finish.

My son received his new passport just a couple of days ago (application about 5 weeks ago), delivered to my address as requested, and I had to sign for it. That's why he entered my address on the application form as he's away at work during the day when the post is delivered. Though his old passport hasn't been returned yet.

DHL were very particular about me signing for it, and would accept no other signature. At the time they wanted to deliver it I was travelling in Germany, but they were happy to divert it to another German address to be able to deliver it to me personally.

... Though his old passport hasn't been returned yet.

Mrs AB's old passport arrived today. We were out, envelope just poked into the mailbox, not left with neighbours, no signature demanded. We've notified Passport Services once more.

My new passport was dumped into the postbox also. Was quite shocked actually as the last time I got a new one I had to sign for it, but didn't even think about contacting them about that this time. Maybe I should have. I had to sign for the package containing my old passport and supporting documents.

My son received his new passport just a couple of days ago (application about 5 weeks ago), delivered to my address as requested, and I had to sign for it. That's why he entered my address on the application form as he's away at work during the day when the post is delivered. Though his old passport hasn't been returned yet.

His old passport was delivered yesterday to my address about three hours after I wrote the above post. I had to sign for it.