UK passport renewal procedure looks easy

246 posts in this topic

You usually get them back before you get the new passport though, don't you? Looks like time for another e-mail.

You got yours already? That's great but didn't you just email them? What email address did you use?

Wooohooo just checked my credit card and they booked the fee! yay at least some progress!

Yeh I got it done here at a local photo place, the guy was like so these are the requirements for biometric photos! I did think they were way too close!Going to go back today, actually have some lads from the uk here for the day, so maybe will just take one of their passports and show the guy at the photo place!

There are different requirements for different countries, but I can't imagine the German and UK rules differ too much. If the photographer knew you wanted pictures for a UK passport then you can hold him liable for the replacing them (not that it should need be a legal issue!). I had my pictures done in a station airport photo-booth where you could review the image before it printed. The booth also "guaranteed" they would be accepted, with a replacement/money back if there was a problem.

Is there any limit on when you can request renewal of a UK Passport prior to the expiration of your valid passport?

According to the Embassy website the fee for applying in Germany is €168 plus a shipping fee of €29 and it can take upto 6 weeks before the new passport is issued. However, if you are in the UK and are close to an IPS Customer Service Center, you can pay £129.50 and get your new passport in 4 hours!! An appointment with the Fast Trach service can be made upto 2 weeks in advance.

According to the FCO website (top tips on right side of page) you can renew your passport up to 9mths before it expires - this extra time is then added onto the validity of the new one. I renewed mine last year 7mths before expiry.

ill be in and out of yorckstrasse 19 within half an hour i reckon!

I wasnt. Took more like 1h 10m, which is still pretty good. Cost was Eur 124 and the emergency passport is valid for around 3 weeks.

Rumour has it this place will close down next year...

What do you mean will close?? the consulate? I took new passport pics on the same day and sent them to the consulate right after I did them!

It's true that passports will no longer be proccessed via Düsseldorf soon. They sent me a note with my passport with the info on that in the future all passports will be done through the IPS in the UK. Can't remember the date they said this will happen from though, sorry. At the mo, continue sending your stuff to Düsseldorf until further notification.There is a video on the FCO website explaining all this.

Some applications are already being sent on to UK. My son's took three weeks. The cancelled old passport was posted back from Düsseldorf, the new one arrived directly form an office in UK. Lots of landscape pictures in it.