UK passport renewal procedure looks easy

246 posts in this topic

It says the "the Düsseldorf Passport Section counter [is] closed", so you can't hand in your application personally. You can only post it to the [same] address.

Where all they do is stamp a receipt date on it, in the bag for London, and €25 in courier fees thank-you very much. Mine is up in July too so having scampered around Zeven (!) trying to find a profi place with a light cream or light grey background I am going on Friday to Buchhoz in der Nordheide. They had actually heard that a UK passport does exist. So expecting my cc to be €185 (€183??) lighter by the end of next week. Bargain really, if you think of all the legwork they do for passport renewals. NOT.

While I agree the costs are outrageous, I believe they do actually check the paperwork prior to sending on the application, so they can warn you if there is a problem before it heads off to Blighty. Any paperwork not needed on voyage such as birth certificate or expired passport is sent back from Düsseldorf, while the new passport itself is created in and sent back from UK

I am also hoping to send my application tom and hope it does come through in 4 weeks. It says that only if your photo looks very different to your old one does someone need to countersign the back? Is that true? So since I look the same I can leave it blank?

It says that only if your photo looks very different to your old one does someone need to countersign the back?

Where does it say that?

here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/travelandtransport/passports/applicationinformation/dg_174152

Hurrah. YL6 gets it wrong :-)

I renewed mine and 100% did NOT get anyone to countersign anything. If you look roughly the same you just include your old passport. Arrived last month.

p.s. You just fill in the PDF from the Dusseldorf website etc.

Okay great, thanks a lot! I guess I just have trouble finding a professional to fill out Section 10 or 9. Do you think an insurance broker/sales man would suffice?

Curious. I interpret that to mean that your countersignatory may not need to sign your photo, but he/she will still need to sign the application form (Section 9 which clearly states "THIS SECTION MUST BE COMPLETED BY THE COUNTERSIGNATORY" (their capitals and bolding), so if they are doing one, why not do the other, just to be safe?

For the record, the passport application forms and formal notes issued with them do not offer this option.

I renewed mine and 100% did NOT get anyone to countersign anything.

It's OK, JE, they called me and I confirmed, despite clear evidence to the contrary, that you exist. I just referred them to your last movie.

Okay great, thanks a lot! I guess I just have trouble finding a professional to fill out Section 10 or 9. Do you think an insurance broker/sales man would suffice?

Nobody signed anything for me. Just fill in the SMART-FORM.pdf and include your old passport. That's it. Unless you have lost your old passport etc.

Okay I may just do that then I could post it tom. While I am asking questions, the front(cover) of my passport has faded because it is always in my bag in Germany, would that be considered damaged?

Nobody signed anything for me. Just fill in the SMART-FORM.pdf and include your old passport. That's it. Unless you have lost your old passport etc.

What? You didn't have to give them permission to book off any money? :rolleyes:

You have an existing passport. Your appearance has (hardly) changed. Then leave 9 and 10 completely blank.

Okay hoping to get this sent off tom! Appearance has hardly changed but damn, is the new picture horrible! Appreciate the replies! :)

Can you wait a couple of days? I'm sending mine off - see above - on Friday. Don't want those poor souls in Duesseldoof run off their feet! :P

I did exactly what has been mentioned to renew my passport (Smart form, no signatures, old passport, payment form) only 2 weeks ago, and sent it off by recorded delivery. They have it and are dealing with it.

Kazalphille, could you update us on when you get it? Just want to know if it really takes 4 weeks as someone told me I should expect it to take 6 weeks because its summer and I am hoping that is not true.

Just want to know if it really takes 4 weeks as someone told me I should expect it to take 6 weeks because its summer and I am hoping that is not true.

In the pre-internet days when most people in the UK picked up a passport application at the Post Office and sent it by snail mail there was always a warning in the text. IIRC; "Due to the large number of holidaymakers applying for passports all applicants should anticipate delays of up to 2 weeks beyond normal between May and August." Living within 20 miles of Newport I used to go to the passport office and usually got it done in an hour. Nowadays the procedure is partly electronically automated, but it's also partly privatised and more impersonal and IME that's not bound to increase efficiency. I don't know if the modern general British public is better at organising it's travel plans than it used to be in the last century, but I somehow doubt it.

I was wondering who told you you should expect it to take 6 weeks...

I am also hoping to send my application tom

Okay I may just do that then I could post it tom.

Okay hoping to get this sent off tom!

... then I realised it was probably tom.

;)

2B