UK passport renewal procedure looks easy

246 posts in this topic

As a qualified school teacher, I am allowed to sign as a countersignatory. And I'm a British citizen. Prob is I don't know any of you...

I had my German fiancee countersign my form and had no problems whatsoever when my passport was stolen and I needed one again pretty quick.... However after then marrying, I then wanted my surname changed ( which used to be possible ) and was then told I would need a whole new passport! After just forking out nearly 200€ for a new one already, I then decided to leave it in my maiden name and it`s staying that way for the next 7 years!...

Yes the procedure may be easy but it's bloody expensive. Twice what it costs in the UK.

Renewed my UK passport last year as it was due to run out next month - vary painless process. They added the time left on my old one onto the new one, which was nice.

Also applied for a UK Driving Licence photocard a few weeks after. Did the application completely online - they were able to use my passport photo which was "in the system", so didn't have to post another one to them.

All very joined-up governmentish. Got me wondering what they're going to do with my photo, though... :ph34r:

Countersignatories need to be British or Irish citizens ...

Not true - over the last 30 years I've had mine countersigned by a German pal in my flying club who is a Notar. He even uses a semi-legible signature (as opposed to his usual scrawl)...

Right HEM. That's allowed if you can't find a British or Irish citizen who has known you for two years or more. Suppose that's pretty commonplace here. In any case, who would know?

TBH I only know (depending on your definition thereof) one British citizen anywhere near here & i havn't seen him for some years (we suggested getting together one weekend this Winter but it hasn't worked out).

The rules changed in the last few years. They now want the counter-signer's UK or Irish passport number as well as the signature so they can check. It's not usually required apart from for the first passport, which won't affect most expats.

Well, you can all scratch my back and I'll scratch yours...

Does being on here "knowing" you lot for more than two years count??? ;-)

Renewed my UK passport last year as it was due to run out next month - vary painless process. They added the time left on my old one onto the new one, which was nice.

Also applied for a UK Driving Licence photocard a few weeks after. Did the application completely online - they were able to use my passport photo which was "in the system", so didn't have to post another one to them.

Do you still have a UK address you can use for the driving licence? i was under the impression when one had left the UK, the driving licence had to be given up and you need to get a German one.

There is no longer a requirement to exchange a UK driving license for a German one (however, you can if you want to or need to for some specific reason ). What is interesting is that you cannot renew a UK driving license (or get a photocard) without a UK address where you 'CLAIM' to be resident.

Countersignatories need to be British or Irish citizens and to have known you for two years. This can be problematic for expats since the population shifts a fair bit.

Not what it states on the C1 application form notes - countersignatories can also be EU citizens 'of similar standing'.

BTW: can anyone who has ever had to renew their UK passport tell me if they had to include their current passport along with the C1 application form?

Yes, I believe you do Chocky, so that they can invalidate it...

I think it says right at the end of the form exactly what you have to send in - check there.

Yes you do. Just got my new one back with the old one returned (with the corner cut off to show it's void).

First page, first box you have to fill in:

"If you have one, you should submit your previous British passport with this application."

Ok, i'm about to go to the Post Office to send off for my renewed passport, I have completed form C1, and have the photos, countersignatory, and all the rest, but why, in this paragraph from the application guide that someone copied and pasted earlier in this thread does it refer to Section 10, when on my form, it is section 9?

Note 8 – Section 10 – Countersignature

When you have completed the form, someone who has

known you personally for at least two years should complete

and sign Section 10. That person should be a British citizen,

other British national or Commonwealth citizen who is a

Member of Parliament, Justice of the Peace, Minister of

Religion, Bank Officer, Established Civil Servant, or

professionally qualified person, e.g. Lawyer, Engineer,

Doctor, School Teacher, Police Officer or a person of

similar standing. Procedures include a check on the

authenticity of countersignatories.

@ Chocky - it was copied and pasted in November 2010, so it could well be that things have changed a bit since then.

Just pop the whole lot in the post - they´ll get back to you soon enough if there are any problems!

The countersignatory conditions have also changed. EU citizens of good standing can also now attest your undeniable beauty.

Hi

Does anyone know which address I need to send my passport application to as online it says that Düsseldorf is closed, but then states that I should use the "above address" which is Düseldorf?

Thanks!