UK passport renewal procedure looks easy

246 posts in this topic

You do need to send it back - they want to see it still physically exists and to formally invalidate it (which is simply chopping off a corner). All passports for EU applicants are now produced in UK, so there is no instant turnaround when abroad, unless you make an appointment and go personally to one of their offices Liverpool, London, Peterborough (?), Durham, Glasgow, Belfast or Newport. It's actually cheaper to get a passport this way than applying by post from Germany - but you need to get to the UK of course :)

If you still need to carry formal ID (and other photo-ID such as a driving license is not sufficient) you can get an interim copy of your passport certified by your Gemeinde or the nearest consulate.

Actually, if you happen to be in the UK or want to arrange a flying visit, yóu can pay for the Premium Service and get a new passport in 4 hours in London.

Info HERE

I did it last year and it worked like a charm.

@SP

You have 3 options.

1 Send your existing passport with your application.

2 Fill out an LS01 which is a declaration for lost/stolen passports and include that with your application.

3 Goto Victoria and use their same day premium service and as long as you have an earlyish appointment you can collect same day 4 hours later.

Personally, I've used the premium service twice now and as long as you have all the supporting docs you can't go wrong and you can get jolly merry while watching the world go by in the Weatherspoons bar in Victoria Station.

Just out of interest.

The last time I applied for a UK passport I needed to go to the UK in the meantime -

It was no problem getting into the UK using my old out-of-date passport at the Dunkirk

ferry terminal.

There's a German web site offering "free" passport photos - in fact

it provides a free editor to tart up a digital photo to passport standards.

Dead easy - important you have the right background on your digital photo 'tho.

Certainly a waste of money going to a professional photographer.

According to the BBC, Home Secretary Theresa May has announced a series of emergency measures to help clear the backlog in UK passport applications:

People renewing their UK passports from overseas will be given a 12 month extension to their existing passport.

Those applying for passports overseas on behalf of their children will be given emergency travel documents.

Theoretically the passport office web should always provide the correct procedure and costs but when I checked a few minutes ago it had not been updated. It could change without warning.