UK passport renewal procedure looks easy

246 posts in this topic

Sorry, but you only have yourself to blame but it's certainly an example for anyone else in a similar position.

+1

Listen to this guy below:

I would recommend anyone reading this thread don't take the risk that you'll be as lucky as we were (arriving within a month and no need to sign for it). You might not be so lucky. Personally I renewed mine 3 months before it was due

Thanks Derek.

What people should also know is that you can apply to renew your passport at anytime and any remaining time left on your old passport (maximum 9 months) will be transferred to your new passport.

but! but! but! random people on a Toytown thread said 7 days!! Are you telling me I shouldn't believe all I read here?!? :huh:

but yes, my fault... just want to give some balance to those that were saying it happened for them quickly - I'd say 3 months gives some breathing space for sure.

Thanks Derek.What people should also know is that you can apply to renew your passport at anytime and any remaining time left on your old passport (maximum 9 months) will be transferred to your new passport.

this i did not know... hence, not doing earlier... will remember for next time around! ;)

My sincere apologies if adding my own query onto this thread is the incorrect thing to do, but I have used the search function to look for information on renewing my UK passport and I am a little confused, most posts being several years old.

I now have six months left on my UK passport but would like to get it renewed ASAP as right now I have no plans on travelling for the next few months - I looked into this a few months ago but it would appear I was either day-dreaming myself into a different reality or I had actually just dreamt that I had looked into the process. I seem to remember that it cost about £159 or thereabouts to apply from within Germany and your current passport was to be sent to Dusseldorf. Now the UK website I am viewing seems to suggest it is cheaper than I had thought but the current passport actually has to be sent to the UK. I tried to call the number on the website and my network is giving me a message that it can't connect to the number.

I was reading a feature on the BBC some months ago about bank fraud - in the article it also mentioned that an acquaintance of the journalist had been the victim of a scam when trying to renew their passport on a fake UK Government website and warned that payment online was not an option for a renewal.

I've had a really long day and maybe I am just not looking in the correct place(s) or have missed something but if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction, then I would appreciate it greatly. Is gov.uk a bona fide website and does the current passport have to be sent to the UK?

Thanks

Pale Fire

My sincere apologies if adding my own query onto this thread is the incorrect thing to do

It's the right thing. If you hadn't, a moderator probably would have merged your new thread into this one anyway.

I now have six months left on my UK passport but would like to get it renewed ASAP as right now

Very wise.

I seem to remember that it cost about £159 or thereabouts to apply from within Germany

Something like that, yeah.

and your current passport was to be sent to Dusseldorf.

That's where old posts and googling can be a problem. Old information. I'm pretty sure it was Liverpool I sent mine too. It's in the thread if you want to scroll up.

Now the UK website I am viewing seems to suggest it is cheaper than I had thought but the current passport actually has to be sent to the UK.

There ya go :)

I was reading a feature on the BBC some months ago about bank fraud - in the article it also mentioned that an acquaintance of the journalist had been the victim of a scam when trying to renew their passport on a fake UK Government website and warned that payment online was not an option for a renewal.

Could be. Make sure you use the link Sir Percy just posted.

Yes, thank you - I appreciate that. I did read the post but it seemed contrary to what I had 'learned' some months ago. Very strange.

Many thanks!

If you have questions on what photo is acceptable, couriers, and form filling in, they were all asked in this thread in the last 12 months or so.

Thanks Derek - it appears the website and process has changed slightly since I did my initial research, unless I really did dream it all! Having read the BBC article I mentioned in my initial post I just wanted to make sure I was on the correct (and real) website. Many thanks to you both for your help!

Derek

that's a good point, I used a local photographer who does the bio metric photographs required for german passports and these are also acceptable both for passports and I believe also for renewing a UK driving licence.

Derek

that's a good point, I used a local photographer who does the bio metric photographs required for german passports and these are also acceptable both for passports and renewing a UK driving licence.

That's one way to go. I had a photo taken of me from my phone stood in front of a white wallpapered wall in the house. It took a bit of messing around in photoshop to ensure it was printed at exactly the right size. When I finally got the size right, I printed 6 of 'em on one sheet of A4 photo paper. They accepted that :) That was nearly a year ago though. Maybe the UKPA now also need a biometric photo. They didn't in 2013 though.

@Pale Fire

wasn't this that you dreamt by any chance? from a BBC article in January of this year.

Cloned Government websites include the Passport Office, where renewal is offered on line, and payment taken on the site.

Thousands are being duped by this one, including heads of government departments, senior journalists and business owners, all getting their new passports as they book their holidays.

Online fraud: How easy is it to be conned?

Spooky, it wasn't a dream. :ph34r:

Derek, they didn't in December 2012 either when I last did mine but they are indeed acceptable. I only mentioned it due to the general lack of passport photobooths that are pretty much in every major station/post office in the UK but few and far between here in Germany.

Maybe the UKPA now also need a biometric photo. They didn't in 2013 though.

A biometric photo is simply a standard photo that meets strict guidelines related to size, layout, background and pose. I shot and printed out 2 on my domestic HP photo-printer last year which were accepted without problems.

The photo is scanned in to be printed and added to the RFID chip on the passport as well as stored with passport details on the government database

For all this, even on the electronic access gates at passport control in the UK, they still manually compare the face of an entering traveller with his stored photo to grant entry.

UK passports use to be completely processed, produced in and shipped from Düsseldorf. During a transition period last year they received them in Düsseldorf, checked and pre-processed the application before they were issued and send from UK, but now I understand the entire process is carried out in UK, for applicants from Germany at least. It's also handled largely by an out-sourced commercial company and no longer by civil servants.

Ok.. 2 Questions from me... They have probably already been asked.. but i didnt see them..

1 Do I need to send my old passport back? I Have a few weeks left before it expires and I regularly use this for collecting parcels and accessing Millitary installations..

2.. Can I go into the FCO in Dustbindorf and get a replacement "On the spot"?

TIA

If you have it, it's best to send it back. However, if you do need it until you receive the new one they would probably allow you to send a photocopy. I had to do that anyway because mine was a renewal of a lost passport.

I don't think Germany handles the applications at all anymore and all production has been moved to the UK. I will look out the phone number for the PO in Liverpool where they handle the applications that I used when I had questions. They are really helpful, and unlike the previous one in Düsseldorf, you can actually speak to a real human at the standard international rate. None of the €1 per minute on your credit card type nonsense to speak to a machine with canned responses.