UK passport renewal procedure looks easy

246 posts in this topic

Woohoo! My shiny new passport arrived today :) I'm genuinely impressed by the efficiency and hassle-free process; I really was expecting something to go wrong, but with a total turnaround time of 4 weeks from the day I sent my application and no further information needed, I would even say the fee is justifiable (at least it hurts less) :)

I was out when DHL delivered it, and they just put it in my postbox, so I didn't even have to sign for it.

Woohoo! My shiny new passport arrived today I'm genuinely impressed by the efficiency and hassle-free process; I really was expecting something to go wrong, but with a total turnaround time of 4 weeks from the day I sent my application and no further information needed, I would even say the fee is justifiable (at least it hurts less)

I was out when DHL delivered it, and they just put it in my postbox, so I didn't even have to sign for it.

Cool :) Weird we both got them delivered and didn't need to sign for them.

I would recommend anyone reading this thread don't take the risk that you'll be as lucky as we were (arriving within a month and no need to sign for it). You might not be so lucky. Personally I renewed mine 3 months before it was due and took a photo of my old passport's photo page on my phone should I need it.

Well that isn't right! Sent my application for renewal with all relevent docs last wednesday. Sent it per courier (DHL - 47€ cos I panicked a bit). Got my new passport yesterday. It took a mighty 7 DAYS to get processed and sent back to me. Was mine the only passport there? I had visions of bored scousers in grey government offices, drumming fingers on desks waiting for the postman to deliver them a parcel and cheering when mine turned up.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I am a Brit that has worked and lived here in Munich for 13 years. I need to renew my British passport, but travel with work on a fortnightly basis back to the UK. The website says it will take a minimum of 4 weeks to process, so I am a bit stuck. I wandered whether I would be eligible for a German photo id card (ausweis) in the meantime so I don't have to panic with the UK passport.

Anyone know if I can do this and if so how to?

Nope. German photo ID cards are only available to Germans. Sorry.

The only thing that's close to what you're thinking of is the Aufenthaltskarte - but EU citizens don't get that, because they officially don't need residence/work visas. Besides that, they're not even valid identification on their own in Germany, much less valid for international travel.

If you talk to the passport office, I'm sure they can accommodate you somehow - either letting you keep your current passport until the new one is ready or giving you some temporary document.

Anyboby knows why there's such a big difference in fees for renewal in UK vs Overseas?

Overseas British Passport Application

Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee)

Adult standard 32-page passport £128.00 £147.86

UK British Passport Application

Passport type Normal service by post Post Office Passport Check & Send

Adult standard 32-page passport £72.50 £81.25

Can you apply in the UK even if you reside in Germany and have your passport sent to a UK address (and save yourself £66)?

Yes - you can apply in UK and have it sent to a UK address.

They used to justify the additional costs for the work done at local consulate level, but that no longer applies since all applications are handled in UK now. The only difference is the international shipping costs...

The only difference is the international shipping costs...

Obviously one should be in the business of international shipping at those prices!

Obviously one should be in the business of international shipping at those prices!

Plus, if the experience both MistressKitty (above, who renewed hers around the same time) and I had there's not a great increase in security offered by these international couriers. We both had our passports simply dropped into the mailbox without even requiring a signature. I've had to sign and show id just to get a phone SIM card, but not for a passport.

edit: Hey, HEM, how did you manage to delete your double post?

edit: Hey, HEM, how did you manage to delete your double post?

What double post?

But the solution is to edit one of them and replace entire content by three consecutive dots...

After a while it will be automatically removed.

What double post?

But the solution is to edit one of them and replace entire content by three consecutive dots...

After a while it will be automatically removed.

I got two email notifications showing you'd posted the same thing and thought you'd found a secret delete button (or you're a moderator) :)

Good to know about the three dots. Thanks.

Can you apply in the UK even if you reside in Germany and have your passport sent to a UK address (and save yourself £66)?

Yes.

I have renewed my passport twice since being resident in Germany and both times I have used their express service in Victoria. You have two week window in which to make your appointment then show up on the day. The first time I went back the next day to collect it and the second time I had a morning appointment and collected it that afternoon.

Cost is not the issue as I travel so much to England anyway so it's really convenient not having the worry of when it's going to arrive of If it's going to arrive.

I could of used the post office check and send to a UK address but it's never convenient for me.

We both had our passports simply dropped into the mailbox without even requiring a signature.

I had the same problem - a neighbour actually found my new passport laying in their garden in the bright yellow DHL envelope. I presume it had been pushed into the letter-box opening, but not completely into the box and blew out. DHL tracking showed I'd signed for it. I asked for proof of delivery which they sent me, and it clearly wasn't my signature or anyone I knew. I made a written complaint to both DHL and the Passport Office, both of whom are "still investigating". I can only assume the delivery guy self-signed...

To their credit, there was no evidence on the outside as to what the contents were. Even the return address was an accommodation address.

Yes.I have renewed my passport twice since being resident in Germany and both times I have used their express service in Victoria. You have two week window in which to make your appointment then show up on the day. The first time I went back the next day to collect it and the second time I had a morning appointment and collected it that afternoon.Cost is not the issue as I travel so much to England anyway so it's really convenient not having the worry of when it's going to arrive of If it's going to arrive.I could of used the post office check and send to a UK address but it's never convenient for me.

Thanks Sir Percy, this would be ideal for me as I'm often in London in the Victoria area. I checked on their web site but couldn't find the relevant application forms (only for UK residents). They say, however that you can get an application form and a guide of how to fill it out at the post office. Is this how you did it, and brought the supporting docs listed in the application form for UK residents?

As I am usually pressed for time when in London I'm just asking to see if I can avoid having to queue at the post office and spend time filling out the form before the appointment.

Thx EG

@El Guf

If you are going to apply using their premium service then just pickup an application from a local post office when in the UK.

I have to say, of all the services I have used over the years this is most probably the most efficient and less time consuming.

I sent a renewal application in at the end of Feb - and it still hasn't started to be processed by the UK office... the nice lady on the phone said it could easily be a few more weeks... the bastards!! :( need to goto the consulate and pay another 100+ euros so i can travel next week grrrrr...

so, don't rely on a 4>8 week turnaround time. make sure to leave 6 months if you can!!

The only bastard is your self for obviously leaving it too late and not following their guidelines. ;)

How long it takes

Your application will take at least 4 weeks from when your declaration form is received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

and then there's this;

Don’t book any travel until you have a valid passport.

Source

Sorry, but you only have yourself to blame but it's certainly an example for anyone else in a similar position.