Bins for garbage recycling

20 posts in this topic

I'm fully committed to the recycling program here (after a long learning curve) so when we moved to a new city I was surprised that our building didn't have any brown bio recycling bins or enough space for everyone's trash.

I'm committed ... but I'm not thrilled about having to fork out the cash to rent my own recycling bins if, in fact, it's the property owners responsibility to provide them.

We have one trash, one paper, and one plastic bin for a four unit building, and no bio bin (like the neighbors have). On plastic pick-up day, the workers will only take what "fits" into the yellow bin, anything piled on it or near it is left there, same with the paper and trash.

I'd like to pen a polite note to the housemister notifying him that the recycling bin space is inadequate and he needs to acquire the larger size bins from the city, plus a bio bin. I don't expect he'll comply, so does anyone know if the landlord is "required" to provide adequate recycling space?

Thanks.

He can provide it but you (and your neighbors) will pay for it. Do your neighbors agree with you?

Well, there's clearly not enough space. So, say if there were no recycling bins at all, would the landlord be in violation of some city ordinance?

If our rent includes fees "covering" trash removal and recycling, which it does, but said trash is not able to be removed due to a lack of bin space, is that the tenants' problem?

What if the neighbors don't care that their trash piles up, clearly they don't care about bio, since they put it in with the regular trash.

This is how things (normally) work in Germany: Your rent is splitted in two, the real rent called "kaltmiete" and the other expenses called "warmmiete" and "nebenkosten". Nebenkosten include whatever the proeperty needs, like taxes, insurances, gardening, cleaning, snow shoveling, trash collection, street cleaning, utilities in common areas, etc. At the end of the year they will just split the Nebenkosten among all the people in the building.

Every month you pay an estimation of what the expenses will be, at the end of the year the landlord will do the real calculations and bill you for the difference or give you back money if you overpaid.

So you want bigger bins, sure, but you will pay for it.

Thanks. So essentially what your saying is that every resident of Germany has a legal obligation to recycle and go to what ever means necessary to facilitate their recycling, including some cost. There's no saying, I don't recycle because my building doesn't provide me with recycle bins. :-)

That is not exactly true. You pay for the grey bin+ bio bin. The recycling bins (and yellow bags, wich you can order yourself if there is not enough yellow bin space) are free.

Waste Düsseldorf

I'd like to pen a polite note to the housemister notifying him that the recycling bin space is inadequate and he needs to acquire the larger size bins from the city,

Ask him if you're allowed to put the yellow recycling bags alonside the bin. In our area we get rolls of them for free at the supermarket but each city seems to have it's own system.

This is an owner's decision so that is who you need to lobby. It's the sort of thing that is agreed at the annual meeting and thus the decision should be facitlitated by the house management (or during the year if enough people are bothered). We have these bins in my current place because we decided to get them. We only had the paper one in my last place (and my b/f's did not even have that, he uses communal street ones). And so on.

Thanks Beuel, that is one through web site! I don't see a mention of yellow bags next to the yellow can, and I haven't seen any in the neighborhood but I'll ask around. Looks like a bio can will cost us more than 100 euros a year, I can live with that.

Hello,

I live in Mannheim in an apartment building with almost 15+ residents. Our building has the normal waste bins but not  Bio bin. Instead everyone is throwing their bio waste in Restmull. I have asked the house master a few times about the issue but have not gotten any answer on this. Any idea how we can have a bio bin for our building? Thank you!

Bio bins are optional in Mannheim.  So, if your apartment builidng has decided to not to have them, you will have to use the Restmüll instead.  You can of course ask the landord as you said you would.  But there is a charge for the bin and for each time it is emptied. 

https://www.mannheim.de/de/service-bieten/umwelt/sauberkeit-und-abfall/abfallwirtschaft/abfallbehaelterarten-groessen

@LukeSkywalker I have not seen any bio bins in the surrounding area apart from one building that has a small bio bin.

@snowingagain I see, thanks for sharing the link. I will try to ask the other residents if they want to participate in it and share the cost. If not, then I will consider ordering the smaller bin but either ways other people will use it :D 
Also, do you know if I throw my bio waste in restmull but in proper bio bags, is it separated eventually? Thank you! 

10 hours ago, FlipFlop123 said:

Also, do you know if I throw my bio waste in restmull but in proper bio bags, is it separated eventually? Thank you! 

It really does not matter.  There could be some minor sorting to fish out say large pieces of metal or whatever that do not belong in the Restmüll.  But the remainder is incinerated.  

28 minutes ago, zmai said:

I am not sure if this is valid for all the cities in Germany, but you should also pay attention not to use any kind of plastic bags for your bio waste, even those that are marketed as suitable.

They take too long to compost and cause all sorts of problems.  Still see them being used a lot by neighbours though.  It is a bit like the loo wipes that are supposed to flushable which are not.   

9 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

They take too long to compost and cause all sorts of problems.  Still see them being used a lot by neighbours though.  It is a bit like the loo wipes that are supposed to flushable which are not.   

The problem is the collection time.   By us is every two weeks, which in summer is a nightmare.   You can see worms and maggots crawling out of the container, while all bio and natural, still disgusting, same the smell.  Enclosing food waste might help to reduce them, but yes I understand is not optimal.

In Berlin the bio-tonne is mandatory since this year.

you seem really concerned with this, so may I make a suggestion?  Bokashi or worm composting can be done at home, in a kellar or even under the sink.

only caveat is you need to find a place to spread or bury the finished product.  It's not a huge amount, so maybe you could get permission to put it in your innenhof, if you have one

eta:  I heard that in some places in north america there are pickup services offered for bokashi - they apparently take it and finish it then sell it. maybe you can find something similar near you

On 05/09/2019, 12:16:53, zmai said:

I am not sure if this is valid for all the cities in Germany, but you should also pay attention not to use any kind of plastic bags for your bio waste, even those that are marketed as suitable.

There is a possible plastic bag ban that might come in 2020 and it will include bio bags as well, basically all single use plastic bags will be forbidden except the thin ones for fruits and veggies.

(and in 2022 comes the EU ban on plastic forks, knives, spoons and straws).

13 minutes ago, Krieg said:

There is a possible plastic bag ban that might come in 2020 and it will include bio bags as well, basically all single use plastic bags will be forbidden except the thin ones for fruits and veggies.

I think it is oxygen degradable bags that are going to be banned.  These are made from petroleum and designed to break down quickly to microplatics, as opposed to the bio ones made from cornstarch etc.  Though the latter are problematic because they break down too slowly for most municipal composting systerms and cause problems when they are put in recycling.