Share your experience on preparing to take the Deutsch B1 exam

76 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2018, 11:18:56, GreenVirgo said:

On 3/18/2019, 2:13:10, theGman said:

Stick to the formula

Hey theGman - what is the formula. My exam is on 30.08. - would appreciate some tips on letter writing (for telc) :)

Two months til test date. Have been using the Cornelsen book 'Prüfungstraining für Zertifikat Deutsch B1' Comes with a CD disc for the listening part of the test prep. I just divided the practice tests/grammar review/vocabulary review exercises up on my calendar. Mainly take about 2-3 quiet hours each week to work through the various sections. I also signed up for a one day/ 3 hrs. test prep course at the VHS near me that occurs two weeks before the actual test. Maybe I am over preparing but at the start here but doing the timed test sections I have discovered that I take too long writing that letter and also read a little too slowly sometimes. The tips in the book seem really practical and useful and have helped give me a good sense of what to expect on test day. 

On 4/30/2018, 7:25:05, dj_jay_smith said:

I found this to be very short on time for the approx. 150 - 200 words which was needed.  Although I am used to typing on the keyboard and not writing anymore, so I had to take my time to make sure that everything was written clear enough.

Do you really need to write that much in TELC.

I thought they do not mention words in TELC.

Goethe says 80 words per piece. 

Appreciate your comments.

49 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Do you really need to write that much in TELC.

I thought they do not mention words in TELC.

Goethe says 80 words per piece. 

Appreciate your comments.

Certainly for TELC B1 they expect 150 - 200 words on a single piece of text for the written section.  I am sure it is not exact, but should be roughly around this.

It might be for Goethe that you are expected to write fewer words but have more pieces of text to write (I think I have seen that on other exams, but am not sure.)  So 2x 80 words for example.  

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Certainly for TELC B1 they expect 150 - 200 words on a single piece of text for the written section.  I am sure it is not exact, but should be roughly around this.

It might be for Goethe that you are expected to write fewer words but have more pieces of text to write (I think I have seen that on other exams, but am not sure.)  So 2x 80 words for example.  

I'm an editor and proofreader at telc. For the B1 test, the expectation for the written part is at least 100 words, and for the B2 test, it's 150.

I have the specifications in front of me.

What about C2? I think I will give it a try next year at Goethe. 10 years of German classes in the Netherlands and 14 years living in Germany should be enough :).

I used this book to study and prepare for the exam:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3060210233/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I am back home, I just checked again what is says and I see that it actually says maximum 150 words.  So my initial statement then was not 100% correct, and @Tap seems to know exactly what the requirements are and therefore can advise better than I can.

30 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I used this book to study and prepare for the exam:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3060210233/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I am back home, I just checked again what is says and I see that it actually says maximum 150 words.  So my initial statement then was not 100% correct, and @Tap seems to know exactly what the requirements are and therefore can advise better than I can.

Don't worry about it, every organisation has different requirements, it's hard to keep up sometimes.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

What about C2? I think I will give it a try next year at Goethe. 10 years of German classes in the Netherlands and 14 years living in Germany should be enough :).

I can't remember what the word count for C2 is, but I can check it out.  I know telc are more interested in the content, structure, use of vocabulary, etc., than the number of words, especially at higher levels.

On 8/14/2019, 5:03:36, Tap said:

I'm an editor and proofreader at telc. For the B1 test, the expectation for the written part is at least 100 words, and for the B2 test, it's 150.

I have the specifications in front of me.

On 4/30/2018, 7:25:05, dj_jay_smith said:

I found this to be very short on time for the approx. 150 - 200 words which was needed.  Although I am used to typing on the keyboard and not writing anymore, so I had to take my time to make sure that everything was written clear enough.

Hey Tap 

Thanks for your comments!
Also, would be awesome if you could share please some tips for the writing exam. 

Is it true that TELC asks for a semi formal or informal letter only (and not a formal one).

Appreciate your comments! :)

13 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Is it true that TELC asks for a semi formal or informal letter only (and not a formal one).

Appreciate your comments! :)

Yes, a semi-formal or personal letter or email, but mostly email these days

13 minutes ago, Tap said:

Yes, a semi-formal or personal letter or email, but mostly email these days

Thanks that helps a lot!
If you are ok with sharing the evaluation criteria that will be great help too! 

11 hours ago, kapil354 said:

... please some tips for the writing exam. 

Buy the book!

It explains what is expected, gives examples and several mock exams to practice.  

Do some additional practice yourself and get a German tutor to review and correct them.

Writing was my weak point before the exam, by doing this then I got high marks (92% overall on the exam).

9 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Buy the book!

It explains what is expected, gives examples and several mock exams to practice.  

Do some additional practice yourself and get a German tutor to review and correct them.

Writing was my weak point before the exam, by doing this then I got high marks (92% overall on the exam).

Thanks DJ!  Will buy the book sofort :)

One more question - I was wondering if one could read the listening questions during the Reading Comprehension section iteself?

I find it difficult to  read, listen and answer the questions - all at the same time. 

Appreciate your comment.

33 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Thanks DJ!  Will buy the book sofort :)

One more question - I was wondering if one could read the listening questions during the Reading Comprehension section iteself?

I find it difficult to  read, listen and answer the questions - all at the same time. 

Appreciate your comment.

No.  The exam is split into different sections (all explained in the book!).

First part is reading and Sprachbausteine,  for this you are only given the relevant section.  Once this is finished then the sheets for listening are handed out but there is no text provided for this so you can only listen and mark the box for the correct answer.  If I recall correctly then each question is played twice, except one section which is only played once.

Then this section is cleared away and you are given the section for the writing.  But is really is all explained in the book complete with exam timings and details on how the recommend you split this down.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

No.  The exam is split into different sections (all explained in the book!).

First part is reading and Sprachbausteine,  for this you are only given the relevant section.  Once this is finished then the sheets for listening are handed out but there is no text provided for this so you can only listen and mark the box for the correct answer.  If I recall correctly then each question is played twice, except one section which is only played once.

Then this section is cleared away and you are given the section for the writing.  But is really is all explained in the book complete with exam timings and details on how the recommend you split this down.

Thanks will def get hold of the book. Thanks a lot for the tips.

However, I was told that one can read all the questions for writing part once the booklet is given. Maybe wrong info.