Share your experience on preparing to take the Deutsch B1 exam

58 posts in this topic

Got my score and I kicked ass! Reading/speaking part I got 44/45. Writing 19/20. Speaking 98/100. WOOOO I start B2 tomorrow :D

Still waiting for the orientierungkurs score. I heard it's a long wait.

Guys,

I did lots of investigation and eventually landed on this blog. So instead of creating new post I thought posting my questions here. I have been living in Germany for almost like 4 years. I have also attended couple of languange schools in Berlitz, VHS and Goethe. The last school I attended was in Berlitz in 2008 and completed level 5.

Now I am planning apply for citzenship and for that need to have Deutsch B1. What I would like to know is.....

1. To apply for the test DTZ B1, is it mandotory that I must attend certain hours of Integration Corse? I am planning to do self study and apply for exam directly?

2. Whats the differece between Deutsch B1 and DTZ B1 in terms of difficulty. Is it like DTZ B1 is easier?

3. If I just get A2 and not B1 after DTZ test, will this be enough for einbugerung?

4. What is orienterungs test? Is this also needed for Eigburgerung? Seems like test results takes long?

4. Anyone can recoment most updated book for DTZ B1will be highly appreciable.

Thanks

B

Hi Bonnman,

from what I can tell you need to get the B1 if you do DTZ in order to qualify for the Einbürgerung

Hi Bonnman,

I am under the impression that you have to prove your B1 fluency with a certificate (however, I could be wrong) and you have to have a passing grade. I took my German classes through the Volkshochschule and also my test. How many hours of German have you completed? I believe B1 is somewhere around 250 (or so... depending on how quickly you pick it up).

I took the test in 2009 and got a 2 (gut). The hardest part for me was the grammar section... but then I still think the German grammar is not easy.

On a slightly different topic, I am also under the impression that you have to live and work here for 8 years for citizenship and 5 for permanent residency.

Viel Glueck!!

Adam

Guys,

I did lots of investigation and eventually landed on this blog. So instead of creating new post I thought posting my questions here. I have been living in Germany for almost like 4 years. I have also attended couple of languange schools in Berlitz, VHS and Goethe. The last school I attended was in Berlitz in 2008 and completed level 5.

Now I am planning apply for citzenship and for that need to have Deutsch B1. What I would like to know is.....

1. To apply for the test DTZ B1, is it mandotory that I must attend certain hours of Integration Corse? I am planning to do self study and apply for exam directly?

2. Whats the differece between Deutsch B1 and DTZ B1 in terms of difficulty. Is it like DTZ B1 is easier?

3. If I just get A2 and not B1 after DTZ test, will this be enough for einbugerung?

4. What is orienterungs test? Is this also needed for Eigburgerung? Seems like test results takes long?

4. Anyone can recoment most updated book for DTZ B1will be highly appreciable.

Thanks

B

Deutschtest für Zuwanderer (DTZ) is the test that you need for Einburgerung. There are possible exceptions for this, which are underaged children, some cases when married to a German citizen, or being over 60 years old having lived in Germany for more than 12 years, receiving no social help and are able to function in day to day life.

Regarding the Integration Courses, it is only needed if you were told you must take an Integration Course. You would have received a piece of paper saying this that you could show at place than offers Integration Courses so you can get a reduced rate. This can be substituted if you pass the DTZ and an Orienterungkurs.

You don't need an Orientation test to become German. You need an Einbürgerungstest. The test is more memorization than anything else. There are 33 questions on the test out of 300 from the catalog for all of Germany and 10 from the state you live in. You can get the questions here: Fragenkatalog zur Testvorbereitung

I didn't buy a book for the test. I just did sample tests I found online, which was pretty helpful. I managed to get 2 even though I took different German classes that Integration Courses.

Thanks for responses.

As per rules I am eligible for citizenship provided that I have Deutsch B1 and Eingugerung test. I have already passed Einbugerung test. My German is okay and Berliz level 5 which I have is almost similar to B1. But they dont accept Berlitz certificate and asked me to get proper B1. I dont have time for school or probably you can say dont want to waste time in classes instead would prefer to do self study.

I have contacted telc for registering for my exam and they said I have to come via any Deutsch school and cannot register it directly. I then contacted Ilingua, another Deutsch school in Frankfurt. They said I can register for exam and select the date whcihever I want. They also said exam results will be available after two days whcih was quite surprising and happy news for me. I might probably visit them today evening to pay exam fee which is around euro 190. I am planning to given exam around second week of February.

Thanks

B

I need some insight. Iam currently doing my B1 and have my available hours until May 2015. But I would like to do the Exam in Dec or Jan 2015. My teacher said Iam an excellent student and can try the B1 prufung earlier, but suddenly she says I must finish the Hours bcos the Integrations course is partly funded by the Bundesamt. Now If i need to really finish it soon, IS there a way out? Like example , switching over the German school to a fast-course one or something like that?

Congrats! You give the rest of us (who haven't taken it yet) more hope. Thanks!

Capricorn 18,

You should be able to take the actual exam whenever you feel you are ready, though you might have to pay out of pocket for the exam if it isn't taken in accordance with the program you are enrolled in. I am taking my exam independent of a course (studied on my own) in a few days. It cost around 130 Euros, and I had to wait around 6-8 weeks after I ordered and paid for my test for my test date. If the program you are enrolled in will not help you (and you don't mind paying out of pocket for the test), I would suggest asking about taking the B1 test at another language school.

Hi Sarah, can you please guide me,me how  to sign up for the exam independent of any language school. I think and hope that I can manage it without the formal classes. Cheers

Hi #aqua27,
I sat the B1 exam last year via the VHS in Freiburg. I was able to simply enter the exam without doing any coursework, because I was confident of my ability. I had to attend twice: once for an introduction and a mock exam and once for the real exam. I got very good results and achieved the B1 certificate. It cost me about 120 Euros. Good luck!

@aqua27

The language exams that are accepted by the German government are issued either by the Goethe Institut or TELC.  Goethe exams (as far as I know) can only be sat at the local Goethe Institut, whereas TELC has authorized a number of language schools to carry out exams.  Schools will allow you to do the exams with them without having (I am sure in most cases) participated in a class at that school.  This makes money for them. 

The dates and costs for the Goethe Institut Frankfurt B1 exams are listed here: http://www.goethe.de/ins/de/ort/fra/prf/zb1/deindex.htm It says the exams can be sat by external students. 

You can search for TELC authorized schools in your area here: http://www.telc.net/en/candidates/find-examination-centre.html?tx_telcexamcentres_map[filter][country]=Germany

For TELC, most of the schools listed will have the exam dates and costs on their websites. Otherwise, you can contact them directly and request a special date for the exam. Normally you need to register at least one month in advance as they must order the test from TELC (access to the tests is strictly controlled to avoid fraud).

A suggestion: I did the TELC B1 and enjoyed it, but it does have the added grammar section (Sprachbausteine) whereas I understand (anyone who has done Goethe B1 please correct me) that the Goethe Exam does not have it. 

Good luck with your exam. 

thanks for info

@aqua27

The language exams that are accepted by the German government are issued either by the Goethe Institut or TELC.  Goethe exams (as far as I know) can only be sat at the local Goethe Institut, whereas TELC has authorized a number of language schools to carry out exams.  Schools will allow you to do the exams with them without having (I am sure in most cases) participated in a class at that school.  This makes money for them. 

The dates and costs for the Goethe Institut Frankfurt B1 exams are listed here: http://www.goethe.de/ins/de/ort/fra/prf/zb1/deindex.htm It says the exams can be sat by external students. 

You can search for TELC authorized schools in your area here: http://www.telc.net/en/candidates/find-examination-centre.html?tx_telcexamcentres_map[filter][country]=Germany

For TELC, most of the schools listed will have the exam dates and costs on their websites. Otherwise, you can contact them directly and request a special date for the exam. Normally you need to register at least one month in advance as they must order the test from TELC (access to the tests is strictly controlled to avoid fraud).

A suggestion: I did the TELC B1 and enjoyed it, but it does have the added grammar section (Sprachbausteine) whereas I understand (anyone who has done Goethe B1 please correct me) that the Goethe Exam does not have it. 

Good luck with your exam. 

@Cadbury Thanks  fro information

On 23.6.2015, 14:32:58, aqua27 said:

thanks for info

@Cadbury Thanks  fro information

What about Volkschule - B1 certificate from them is valid?

2 hours ago, kapil354 said:

What about Volkschule - B1 certificate from them is valid?

Volkschule certification is valid, they are like any college in that they offer a course registered with the state and exam marking is done by state registered examiners. The certificate is then issued by the relevent Land be it RLP or NRW or Hessen etc.

41 minutes ago, French bean said:

Volkschule certification is valid, they are like any college in that they offer a course registered with the state and exam marking is done by state registered examiners. The certificate is then issued by the relevent Land be it RLP or NRW or Hessen etc.

Thanks @French bean :)

Having done the Telc B1 exam recently I thought I would post my experience.

I took the exam at VHS, but I have been learning via an online course so I just applied for the exam through them.  It cost ~160 Euros..

The VHS where I took the exam is split into 3 buildings, called A, B ,C.  My exam was scheduled for building B room 08, but when I turned up on the room door was a different exam with different participants.  Others were in the same situation and we eventually found that out exam was in the C building.

Upon entering we could take take out the things we needed, as well as a drink and our "Teilnehmer Karte" and identification and then we had to put our bags and coats in another room (which was locked).  Our mobile phones were placed into a transparent zip bag with our name on it and taken away.

The exam consists of two main sections, split into smaller parts.  I won't go into great detail, as you can (and should) buy books to help you with your preparation.

One important point is that you do the exam using pencil.  No pens.  

Section 1:  Schriftliche Pruefung 

This section is worth a total of 225 points.

You must get at least 60% on this section to pass the whole exam.

Part 1:  Leserverstehen

This part is worth 75 points.

The are three sub parts to this.

Part 2:  Sprachbausteine

This part is worth 30 points.

There are two sub parts to this.

For part 1 & 2 there was a total of 90 minutes.

I found that this was plenty for what was required and I could take my time.

After this there was a small pause while they prepared for the next part.

Part 3:  Hoerverstehen

This part if worth 75 points

This took ~30 minutes

Part 4:  Schriftlicher Ausdruck

This partis worth 45 points.

For this part you have 30 minutes.

I found this to be very short on time for the approx. 150 - 200 words which was needed.  Although I am used to typing on the keyboard and not writing anymore, so I had to take my time to make sure that everything was written clear enough.

This whole section basically took just over 3 hours, including the couple of short pauses.

We were then able to break for lunch.  There was only 45mins break time, which by the time you get out of the room and collected your phone, coat and bags and been to the toilet was even less.  So make sure that you bring lunch with you as you will not be able to go far.

Section 2:  Muendliche Pruefung

This section is worth 75 points.

You must get at least 60% in this section to pass the whole exam.

There are three parts to this, done back to back.

After lunch we had to meet in another room.  You are basically shut in here the whole time until after you have finished your speaking exam.

They will again take away your phone, but you can keep your bag and coat and can eat, drink, and talk freely.

They let people go into the hallway but this was sealed off so that nobody could go in or out of this area until it was time for there exam.

I was lucky as I was first to be called!  So I was only in here around 5 mins.  After you are finished you are not able to go back, so if you have friends still in there then you will have to wait until they are also finished before you can talk to them.

Make sure you have a book, as you could be in here for several hours!

You are assigned another candidate as a buddy and you do the test with them.  You are taken out of the room with them into a preparation room and given a sheet with lists your topics for each of the 3 sub-parts.  In this preparation room is a monitor who makes sure your don't talk to each other and don't cheat and you get about 15-20 mins prep time and can make some notes which you can take into the exam with you.  I again I found this was plenty of time.

Then you are taken into the exam room where there are two examiners who conduct the test but are otherwise very passive, you talk to your buddy about the topics you have been given.  They control the time and tell you when to move onto the next topic but won't talk to you otherwise.

The exam is worth a total of 300 points.  

You must get at least 60% in the first section AND at least 60% in the second section to pass.  So this means a minimum of 180 points in total.

They said that the results would take 4 - 6 weeks, in my case it took nearly 7 weeks to get an email to confirm that I had passed.  I then had to go to the VHS to pick up my certificate which includes the detailed results for each section and part.