Share your experience on preparing to take the Deutsch B1 exam

45 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I will be taking part in B1 exam next month.I am bit afraid for the exam.

What kind of difficulty level...? I am not sure but since last year the Exam Pattern has been changed.

Please share tips and things which are important for this exam.

Any body would like to share any experiences...

Thanks in advance

Khush

Well... I'd probably say the difficulty level is... B1. :)

I did a quick google and found this http://documentbook.com/b1-beispiel-test-pdf.html

Practice tests for the exam. Hopefully that will focus your studying and ease your anxiety! Good luck.

Khush, check with your school. The school that I go to offers a 2-day exam prep class, basically reviewing everything that you need to know for the exam, plus practice tests (both written and oral) as well as feedback and tips. They typically offer these classes right before the B1 exam itself, so all the knowledge should be fresh in your mind when you take it. If your school offers such a class, I highly recommend that you take it!

Hi Khush,

I agree with Proxak about the school offering the prep classes before the test. I took my exam through the Volkshochschule and the test prep classes were mandatory and they really helped. It was nice to see the test and learn some tips on how to do well.

I took the test last December and got a score of 2 (gut). I took all of my classes at the VHS and felt comfortable enough... although the grammar section was still very difficult for me...

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!!

Adam

Model tests are on the web (on the sites of the awarding bodies). You can get prep books from major book stores of the library. There are lots of "tips" on other threads on this board.

hey

I just took the test a couple of weeks ago and the hardest part was the reading part, the text was pretty difficult and make sure you learn how to correctly write a letter. The speaking part was really easy, you get a page with questions you have to answer or that you have to ask a partner. you can find practice exams on the following website : www.telc.net . The test is the exact same format that was at the exam.

Good luck!

Inad

Do a search on TT for Zertifikat Deutsch, there's a few threads on it. I did it two years ago, I was under a bit of pressure as it was given to me as a goal to achieve from my company and I obviously didnt want to come back with a terrible fail and end up looking like a tit.

Go to your local large book shop and buy some sample test papers, that's what I did. Practice writing letters and learn off your few standard opening and closing sentences for it.

Hi Khush,

BAMF changed the test last year. Until 2009, immigrants had to do the "Zertifikat Deutsch" (B1), now they have to do the "Deutsch für Zuwanderer" test (A2-B1). This is actually to your advantage - as far as I could make out, with the "Zertifikat Deutsch" it was "B1" or "Fail". With the new test, you get a certificate for either the "A2" or the "B1" level depending on how well you do. I had a look at both tests and I think the new "Deutsch für Zuwanderer" test is a bit easier than the old one. That's also what the person who developed this test said in an interview, BTW.

I have no personal experience with this test (I am a German native speaker). I am probably stating the obvious, but:

1.) Make sure that you do exactly what is asked in the task. E.g. if the task says "Write a letter covering the following four topics", mention all four of them.

2.) If you can, throw in a few details in the speaking and the writing part (e.g. Ich kann leider nicht kommen, weil ich krank bin. Ich habe seit Montag eine schwere Grippe.)

3.) Learn the standard expressions for writing a letter by heart:

e.g.

Sehr geehrte/r...

Liebe/r...

Ich schreibe dir/Ihnen, weil...

Ich freue mich auf ein Wiedersehen!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Herzliche Grüße

3.) From my personal experience with English tests: Do a mock exam to get acquainted with the test format and the standard questions they ask.

See the links in #2 or here (with solutions):

Mock Exam

I hope I didn't make you more nervous than you already are ;) . The main focus of the test is really not so much on getting all the weird case endings right, but on understanding short everyday texts/conversations and getting your message across. To pass the test and even for the "B1" certificate, you don't have to know all the answers.

Viel Glück! Ich halte dir die Daumen (I'm keeping my fingers crossed)! :)

Hello All,

A very Big Thanks to all who replied and gave me ideas...

I hope i will make it to B1...

Thanks Again..

Khush

Hi Khush! I just took the B1 exam last August 31, and it really was difficult. The first part, Höreverstehen, was quite tricky because the speakers had THICK regional accents, which made it sometimes hard to decipher what they were saying. In the Leseverstehen part, there were short news/text passages and you had to match them with the right "titles" or "headlines". There was also a part where you have to match a situation with the right newspaper ads (zB: you are preparing for your wedding, and you need a venue with catering service). In our test, there were 2 instances where NO ad matched the situation! Then there's the usual grammar part, like there's a letter and you have to fill in the blanks with the right prepositions, verbs, nouns, etc.

As to the letter writing part, ours was an informal letter to a friend who would be visiting our country and I had to give them tips on what are the must-see spots in our country, what clothes they should bring according to the weather, etc. It's important that you include in your letter ALL the four points that the test requires. Dont forget also the usual letter parts (anrede, gruße, etc.).

In the Sprechen part, we worked in pairs. In the 1st part, we made a conversation wherein we introduced ourselves, our jobs, our families and homes, etc. Then in the next part, my partner and I were given 2 different photos with text. We were also given 20 minutes to prepare separately some text/dialogue, afterwards we discussed what our respective photos were about and we had to compare and contrast/comment on each others photos. A few days before the exam, our Lehrerin said sometimes (not often) instead of photos, we would be given graphs or tables and we would have to interpret and explain them. Thank God we didn't get that!

Good luck! Our test results are due to come out next week... hopefully I passed it... Afterwards, I still have to work on B2!

I just got home from taking the B1 exam. I fretted and worried and studied and studied... and it was pretty easy. I had been using test prep books and not doing too well on the reading parts, but the ones on the test were much easier. I would be very very surprised if I didn't pass.

My hearing part was pretty easy, try to sit as close to the CD player as possible, some people in my class had trouble if they sat in the back. It had some true/false, some where you had to pick the right answer from three choices, and three questions where they gave a list of titles and you had to pick which title matched what you heard. The practice exams I took at home were much harder.

The reading section had newspaper ads, letters, articles etc. There were true/false questions, questions where you have to pick the best answer from 3 choices, and some where you had to pick which newspaper ad applied to which person. Then there was a formal letter with words missing and you had to choose from three choices which word fit in the blank. These ones I always did HORRIBLE in when I practiced, but on the test it was super-easy.

The writing portion was a choice of 2 letters, you pick only one. I wrote a letter requesting info for my kid to take music lessons... that's the only part that is a mystery to me, I'm not sure how I did, I have trouble keeping it simple.

The speaking part I had to describe who I am where I come from etc. Then I got a picture of a kid sitting on a park bench doing her homework and I had to describe what I saw and the judges asked questions such as "do you think it's good that kids do their homework alone?". Then with a partner we were supposed to make plans to start a German language learning group for after the course is over. The woman I was paired with knew NOTHING, she did terrible, so the judges cut us off after about 2 minutes. Which was lucky for me, the other people in my class had to go on and on apparently. But my partner was sadly not capable.

I was SOOOOO worried about this exam but it really wasn't so bad!

Hello All,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Some more queries:-

What is the Criteria to clear the exam? How much we should get to clear the exam.

How long it takes for the result to come?

My plan for exam preparation is to:-

-Write 2-3 Letters for Practice and get it verified with my teachers.I think its very important part of exam.

-2-3 hearing, reading exercise.

-for speaking try to know some possible sentences.

Suggest me Ideas if any...Only One week remaining for my exam.

Thanks

Khush

The terms and regulations for the exams can be found on this site: http://www.telc.net/en/terms-examination-regulations/

I read the regulations but there were no specifics regarding scoring. I took the test a week ago and I have heard nothing yet.

You seem to have a good study strategy so far. The only thing I'd add is that there are formal and casual letters included in the reading section of the exam. You will still have that section when you are doing the writing section, so you can flip back and use those letters to help you. For my written section I grabbed some sentences right out of the reading section. I would also study where you are supposed to stick commas in German sentences, it isn't the same as in English.

Many of the speaking exercises seem to be about making plans (to meet, to have a party, take a trip or whatever).

I have heard also that sometimes the speaking and written sections include graphs or tables which you have to explain, so it may be a good idea to go over fractions (ein Drittel etc).

The exam makers telc make test preparation books, you can get them at the library. They come with a cd and they have enough examples to make roughly 4 complete exams. And I found the questions in these books to be tougher than the actual exam. So if you get one of those books and you're doing pretty well, then I wouldn't worry too much!

Hello Ladybean5,

Can u give me the exact name of book if possible.

Thanks in Advance

Khush

You can find books that help you prepare for the test on Amazon (and probably also in your local library):

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Deutsch-Test+f%FCr+Zuwanderer&x=21&y=17

Yeah the book I have is called "Zertifikat Deutsch Der schnelle Weg". Level B1. The publisher is Langenscheidt. I got it from the library in Hamburg. HA if you're in Hamburg, let me know and I'll return it, I've still got it at my house.

Hey Khrush & Ladybean,

I took the exam last December and didn't receive the results until beginning of February (approximately 6 weeks). As far as I remember there is no "pass / fail", however, you receive a number 1-6 (5 & 6 = fail). I took the test "only for fun" and was not looking to get the German passport therefore, I do not know what score is needed for the German passport.

Good luck!

Adam

There is a set scoring scale. A wait is normal as they are all graded in one central location. I think I waited about 6 weeks as well, and 6 months later they still have not finished the orienterungs test scoring and you cannot get your money back without it so do not expect it fast.

The test is scored in 3 areas. 2 of those must be level b1, and speaking must always be level b1. But you can have any combo of the other 2. If you have b1 in all but speaking you fail.

Here is how they grade according to my certificate.

Hoeren/ Lesen combined possible 45 points

Schreiben possible 20 points

Sprechen possible 80 points.

You have to have above 75 or 80 % in that level to get B1.

Then on the certificate it has the level for each one unter a2, a2, or b1

then gesamtergebnis (combined score level)

They used to have a separate exam for each level but now a2 and b1 are combined. It is no longer pass/fail, you rather have to pass a certain percentage to get b1. Otherwise you get a2. And if you do very poorly you get under a2. It used to be anything over 65% was b1, but they redid the test early this year. I did the new exam. Which means some books may not be up to date with the prep information.

Hi All,

I have given my B1f exams.Although not sure abt the pass or fail.

My experience was Brief and speaking part was easy. But the horen and lesen part was difficult.

Thanks Everybody.

It can take a while to get the results, so try not to worry too much, I know I waited at least a month probably closer to 6 weeks.

And remember you can still pass even if you did poorly in 1 section. If you did level b1 in both speaking and writing you can still pull through even after struggling in the listening and reading section :)