Cultural differences between Germany and UK

84 posts in this topic

Don't bother trying to ask a stranger in Hamburg for directions.

lived in hamburg for 3 years and munich for 3 years.

give me the fish heads anyday as opposed to the bavarians

What means "chinky"?

chinese take away...those places what sell 'shit in a tray' to quote mickey skinner from the streets.

politically correct? you tell me.

I honestly think this is all stemming from the way children are raised here. Yes, they're taught to follow all the bloody rules but everything else, including manners, is carte blanche.

That is the wrong way of looking at it. Manners are by definition the socially acceptable norm (def: The prevailing customs, social conduct, and norms of a specific society). The norms are simply different from those of english speaking countries. Therefore we are judging them based on our standards and that is why if you actually confront a german they will generally be surprised at what you found impolite. Thus there are also things that the germans find impolite, but compared to us the bar is raised.

All that said, there are ignorant assholes here, who are ignorant based on both norms.

I am sure our foodfrau has the motto "Smiles waste muscles"

It would intresting to see what a German thinks of England once they have lived there.

One girl I know said, that we only really talk to each other when pissed. I thought about that, and yeah I guess that's fair comment.

In my cultural communication classes, I describe it this way:

I don't normally assign numbers, usually I draw a line, but this makes is easier to understand in written form. Say politeness runs on a scale from 0-10. 0 is getting shot just because someone doesn't like the look of you. 10 is dinner with all the European royalty. (Just to make it clearer for the smart-asses, that's 0 is extremely rude and 10 is extremely polite.

British behaviour normally runs somewhere from 5-9.

German behaviour normally runs somewhere from 4-8.

On average, let's say, Brits go around at about a 7. Germans go around at about 6. Brits tend to think Germans are rude because they don't come up to their level on the chart, but for Germans, it's normal. Germans tend to find Brits a bit "slimey" because their behaviour is too polite for the situation, but it's normal for British.

The rest here is my personal opinion.

Germans are far more direct than British. I personally prefer that. I hate having to try and figure out what somebody really means when they say something.

Germans don't praise their co-workers or employees as often as British (and even more so, North Americans) do. A good job is expected, therefore is nothing really worthy of praise. Only notable good work will be mentioned.

British have a sense of humour I personally prefer. German humour tends to be more about Schadenfreude.

Germans are one of the most stereotyped cultures in the world. British people are one of the worst cultures for stereotyping others.

That's a great closing line, showem! But shurely you mean the British are one of the best cultures for stereotyping others?

Manners is a strange thing in Germany. I can never figure out why train doors are always blocked by people trying to get ON the train seemingly oblivous of the people getting off. The times I have wanted to say "if you don't let the people off then you can't get on..."

It seems so simple and yet the German just dont get it.

Waiting at a junction to pull out is also time consuming as no-one (except ex-pats) will let you out, and reversing into a parking space on a main road needs lots of bottle...

I stick by my guns: German drivers are pretty bad. They must be glad the Italians exist otherwise they would be one of the worst. There is something funidmentaly Jeckal & Hyde about when a german gets behind a steering wheel - my wife included.

As for Bread. Good? Now I know you are having a laugh. Although the only funny thing I can think of concerning bread is the name of my local bakery is "Fuckers". Sadly I have yet to find a sex shop called Hovis.

Germans are far more direct than British. I personally prefer that. I hate having to try and figure out what somebody really means when they say something

Showem is right. I lived with the other extreme in Saudi, where it is unislamic to be honest to the other person, and under their code you MUST lie to preserve the peace. Hence the society always seems calm. However this always leaves a swirling feeling underneath.

With Deutsch people there is no hidden agenda and it is all in the open. There is no sliminess here with true proud Deutsch people. They have many faults but dishonesty is definitely not one of them.

Cultural differences aside (praise, humor, etc.), the Munich residents are rude. Here is what I have observed in the last few days.

- People going through doors, then letting the door swing and hit the next person in the face

- Blatanly cutting in front of a line. Even though it is very apparent the other people are also waiting in line

- Walking into people on the streets (because the person expected the other person to fully get out of the way), and not even acknowledging it with an apology or "excuse me"

- People at the door of a train, who are not trying to get off, don't move when someon tries to get by them to get on the train.

- People trying to get on the train who do not let the others off first.

- Standing on the left side of the escalator and not attempting to move. Even though it is blatantly apparent people are trying to get by.

- Waiters and Waitresses. Self explanatory.

If you are somewhat considerate of your environment and the people around you, you would not be doing most of these things. Munich residents do however. Hence, the reputation for being rude.

The question was put what Germans think of the Brits. I know quite a few Germans, and a couple of them have lived in Britain and now want to return, and some already have. They say that the Brits are friendly, and polite, and shopping is 50 times easier, as you only have to go to 1 place and not 50, and you can almost do this anytime you want.

Another German friend of mine, is currently studying in England, and she wants to stay there, just because she prefers the working environment in Britain. Interesting the other way around !

Waiters and Waitresses. Self explanatory.

one of the most arrogant bunch in munich you can come accross - some seem so far up their own arses it's incredible.

it's simple...don't tip and if they get too cocky you can always ask them how much they like doing the shit job and how grrrrrreat it must be to work unsociable hours, etc...

I think the behaviour on the trains here is great. People do sometimes stand in your way when you are trying to get off, but as Sparty said, lots of people actually get off the train to let other out. Amazing. Also, when you are waiting to get on a trina, people GENERALLY let passengers get off first. In Singapore, this NEVER happened. People would fight to get onto the trian without letting other off first, and the problem is so huge, Singapore government actually ran an ad campaign traing to teach the locals to be more polite and think a little bit. Waste of time as a campaign, as Singaporeans have enormous trouble learning anything new whatsoever, but the fact is that it was a recognized problem. People here are VERY polite on public transport in comparison to Singapore.

In India the lack of queuing is worse.

I was once flying into Muscat in Oman on the way to Delhi and as the plane landed i.e., wheels on the tarmac, off came the seatbelts and down the ganway ran a shitload of Indians before we had even reached the end of the runway!

I asked my class of 17 German students today if they would like the option of shopping on Sunday. Every last one of them said no. :blink:

But they agree wholeheartedly about rudeness--especially that of waiters/waitresses--and the absence of quality service. One said "Germans don't know the meaning of service." :P

Germans tend to find Brits a bit "slimey" because their behaviour is too polite for the situation, but it's normal for British.

showem, this is somehow eating at me. it struck a chord you know..how it does sometimes...

you may be right. who knows/cares.

all i would say is in that case they can fuck off.

have a good w/e all.

I asked my class of 17 German students today if they would like the option of shopping on Sunday. Every last one of them said no.

then how come the shops at the airport and hauptbahnhof are always heaving with people on a sunday? or is buying food on sunday like visiting a sex shop: they all do it but no-one will admit to it???

In India the lack of queuing is worse.

from my recollections of queuing in india didn't they used to have blokes sitting on life guard style chairs with a big stick to keep people in line at train station ticket booths or was the manali cream twisting my melon?