Cheated while looking for accommodation in Munich

73 posts in this topic

I just started searching an apartment in Munich and received this mail as a response to my query. I surely ignored it..but would like to bring this to everyone's notice...Pls beware of such frauds..

PS: Read the last line "As you can see, there is no risk." LOL..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

I could send the keys and the contract to check the apartment, but first you need to make a deposit to see that you are realy interested to rent the apartment and realy have the money because i have a lot of persons who want to see only and not have money and i not want to lost time so i think that you understand me.

Deposit must be sent through MoneyGram and beneficiary direction:

Streed :24 John Dalton Street

Zipp code: M2 6FW

City : Manchester - United Kingdom .

For your safety, the transfer will not be sent on my name . You can use any name for the receiver ( make the deposit from your name , you will be the sender of the money and at the receiver put what name do you want, a friend name or your mother/brother/sister/father name , understand? ) . In this way, I have no access to the transfer. Your money is safe. As proof that the transfer was made, you have to send MoneyGram documents ( scaned ). After receiving the document and confirm the transfer MoneyGram, i will send the keys to your home.

You have 3 days to check the apartment. Along with the keys,I will send a contract to complete, sign and send a copy to me. If you like the apartament you need to go to MoneyGram and change the receiver name and put my name . At that time, I have access to the transfer and can pick up the money. If you do not like, you can cancel the transfer and send the keys back to me.

The deposit will be 1 month of rent 450 EURO + 1 month of warranty 450 EURO so total will be 900 EURO!

As you can see, there is no risk. You can check the apartment before I have access to money.

Thanks

I would find the person SOMEHOW. You have an IP, a bank acct where you sent the dough which must be connected with a name. (I hope you didn´t wire the money!) You have traces...you can find the bastard!

Not much you can do really. The scammers are located in Nigeria, Romania or Bulgaria, and the local police won't be terribly concerned about emails sent by one of their citizens. 10 minutes after you send them a copy of the Western Union or Moneygram paperwork they'll be on their way to the nearest WU/MG office and claim the money using a fake ID.

When it comes to apartments in Germany, either deal with a reputable agency or do everything in person. If someone gives you a story about how they're currently in Rome/London/Paris/Tokyo and will mail you the keys, it's always a scam.

Correct guys. My theory is When you have slightest of doubt, leave the deal then and there. Any landlord willing to rent apartment and not available in German, can easily hire a broker firm to rent his/her house. The brokers anyways charge the tenants and not the landlords. There is no reason that you trust these kind of stories. More over never ever transfer to money gram or western union.

The best you can do is to inform the web site administrator so that others can't be fooled. I think if we stick to this ground rule things r gonna work most of the time.

Certainly when the email is so riddled with grammatical mistakes and spelling errors that don't obviously correspond to a German writing poor English the alarm bells should be ringing loud and clear.

In Wg-gesucht, Studenten-WG, Immobilienscout24... everywhere, there are scams galore. It is unfortunate because I am looking for a 2 room apartment in Munich under 700€, and just about all the options are scams.

I got this just yesterday - beware David Lornac.

How can I find out the IP address?

Greets to all those honest folk out there!

from David LOrnac davidlornac@hotmail.com

to ia**.****er@gmail.com

date Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:44 AM

subject RE: Anfrage zu Ihrem Objekt 62201019

mailed-by hotmail.com

Important mainly because of the people in the conversation.

hide details 12:44 AM (13 hours ago)

Hello,

I’ve just read your message regarding my apartment. The apartment is still available for rent.

I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Germany, but now she’s back home permanently, so I’m renting the place for unlimited time.

The flat is fully furnished and renovated, as you could see from the photos.

You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.

Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 2 parking spots in garage, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are included in the price of 540 EUR/month. The kaution is also EUR 540, and you get it back when you decide to leave the apartment (you will have to give me at least 30 days notice). As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment.

Before we go any further I would like to know how many persons you intend to share the flat with, and for how long.

Now, a little bit about myself: My name is David Lornac and I’m a 58 years old graphic designer from London,UK, planning to retire in the next 2 years.

I have a lovely wife, Christine and a 25 year old daughter, Linda. I am very proud to say that I’m going to be a grandfather soon :) .

The only inconvenience is that my job doesn’t allow me to leave London even for one single day. We’ve just hired some new staff and I’m in charge of their training, so my schedule is pretty hectic right now. But this won’t affect the rental at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from London (on my expense of course).

I found a shipping company here in United Kingdom called Patent Escrow Delivery ( www.patent-autos.uk.tc ) and they will handle the payment and delivery for us. If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and i will send you the details step by step. Thank you and hope to hear back from you.

So I guess this is it for now, and I am looking forward to hear from you soon.

All the best from old Britain!

Just report it to Immobilienscout and move on, there's not much you can do apart from entering to some banter with him as some others have done.

Here are my 3 basic rules:

1. If it's too good to be true, don't do it.

2. If Western Union is involved, don't do it.

3. If you have to transfer money, before you have seen the accommodation, don't do it.

from what I found, a 2 room apartment in munich under 700 euros is pretty much "too good to be true" ;)

it truly sucks

I reported it to immobilien scout right away.

At least banter might make me feel better, right? But the English has improved markedly since 2005/6 when the first traces of this sort could be found. Looking forward to "hear"from you sort of sticks out though. And does anyone say 'old britain'? Is britain older than continental Europe?!

As a response I was trying to decide between:

- If you wish I could just send you my credit card with pin number.

- or give you unrestricted access to my bank account.

I don't know how they respond to sarcasm

Anyway, much more than 700 a month and the Ausländerbehörde will be worried that I can't provide for my family with my income :-(

What about in the outlying subburbs? The job I have been offered has its offices right by the hauptbahnhof, so as long as I can find a place close to a S- or U-Bahn Station I should be right.

Suggestions of plausible neighbourhoods are most welcome; scammers are not.

fastest way I ever found a flat was putting an ad in the SZ.

perhaps worth a try, you could mention it needs a good SBahn or UBahn connection to Hauptbahnhof.

concerning the scammers, I'd just write back to them in a mahussive bold font 'FUCK OFF SCAMMING BASTARD!'.

might make you feel better :)

good luck with the flat search!

Hey guys,

This almost happened to me as I was looking for an apartment in Munich. I got an email from a girl who needed a roommate for her apartment in Maxforstadt. The room cost 450 euros and was centrally located. The pictures were beautiful and I, too, was elated that I had found such a nice place. But as soon as the landlord told me that she was in England and that I had to send my money via Western Union, warning bells went off in my head. NEVER EVER EVER send money via Western Union to people you do not know and trust. NEVER EVER! If it is a scam, you will never see your money again, even afer filing a police report. Western Union is only meant for people you trust, like friends and family members. It is the easiest way to lose your money, and once the money has been picked up by the scammer, it is untraceable.

When the landlord demanded the deposit and first month's rent, I refused to send it to her via Western Union. I first suggested doing a wire transfer instead; with a wire transfer, the money is sent from one bank account to another, and it is much safer than Western Union. In order for it to work, she would have had to give me her real bank information, and then if it WAS a scam, the police and bank would have been able to track her down and arrest her. The woman refused, saying that her bank account was overdrawn and that if I did a wire transfer, the money would go to her negative balance and she would not be able to use it. By this time, I felt super uneasy, and so I then suggested that a friend of mine living in Munich at the time arrange a Besichtigungstermin (a viewing) so that he could see the apartment and confirm to me that it was a real place (I was living in New York at the time and could not go to viewings myself, so this friend of mine went for me). The landlord refused to arrange a viewing, claiming that she was in London and that the girl who living in the apartment was in Sweden visiting her family, so there was no one to let me in to see the apartment. So at this point I was emailing two different people, the landlord who was in london and the girl who was going to be my roommate who was supposedly visiting her family in Sweden. The girl swore that the landlord was honest and claimed that she sent her money via Western Union all the time, but something still did not feel right. So I had my friend go to the apartment to investigate. He wrote back to me that not only were neither of these women's names on the mailboxes on the building where they claimed the apartment was located, but the buildings that surrounded the apartment did not AT ALL resemble the buildings that one could see through the window in the photos the girl sent me. SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!

So, moral of the story:

If the people do not speak German, be wary. If you write to them in German and they respond in English, BE WARY.

If the people claim to be in another country, IT IS A SCAM. They most often claim to be in London.

If the people ask for the money to be send via WESTERN UNION, then IT IS A SCAM!! NEVER EVER EVER send your money via western union. Suggest a wire transfer from bank to bank, so that the money and the person receiving it can be traced.

Good luck, and I am so sorry to all those of you who have been scammed. These people are real and they are professionals. They will say anything to get you to trust them. Be on your guard. As someone searching for an apartment, YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO BE WARY AND CAUTIOUS. If the people get nasty with you, terminate all contact with them.

I like turning the SCAM back on them. "If there is no risk and i need to fully trust you, then you need to fully trust me. Before i send you 1000 euros via Western union and there is no risk as you have my ID and i have your, please show your trust by sending me 100e first and then i will transfer 1100 back to you".

one thing i didn't get was that they said i could transfer money to my friends name and then upon getting in the APt transfer the name to his.

The other thing i like to do is just ask to meet a friend in Munich. If they lived here they have to know SOMEONE. I love talking with them on the phone and asking where their hometown is and asking why their accent is strange.

oo you have to transcribe the calls onto TT!

These scams always seem to involve people claiming to not be in the country at the time, away on business etc. If you are suspicious then just check the e-mail header and confirm that the person is indeed e-mailing from the country that they claim. This is different depending on your e-mail provider, but here is an example of how to do this in Hotmail:

1. Right-click on the message and select "View Message Source".

2. Ignore "Sender IP", because this will likely be the sender's e-mail provider's server IP, and head straight for "Originating IP".

3. Highlight and copy it to the clipboard.

4. Go to this site and paste the IP address into the box: http://www.geody.com/geoip.php

5. Click "submit".

OMG! we are shortly moving to munich in december and am looking for an apartment aswell.Iam so disturbed to know that such big frauds are happening there with the new comers...thankyou very much for alarming us about this situation ...God bless you!

Everyone who is searching for an accommodation must first read the TT Articles about the options and scams

I will share my experience of searching a studio.

Finalizing a contract before arriving here is not a good idea. Only pay money once ur landlord shows u the house. If you cannot afford to stay in a hotel until u find accommodation(1 or 2 months) u can check for extended stays.

Two of which I know are Ghotel(Only Munchen pasing has extended stay I think) and -Rent. These are usually rooms of around 25-30 sq.m. They come in the range 650-750 per month. They are studios & expensive for studios but easy to get(atleast 2-Rent). Ghotel is good with facilities like room service/week, TV, WiFi, separate kitchen and hence difficult to get.

2-Rent is just furnished studios with a kitchenette and attached bath & easy to get. You may share the rooms as well & each room comes with at least 2 beds depending on the size of the room. I stayed in 2-rent near Olympia Einkauf Zentrum (Hanauerstrasse 53) for 1 month. Although nothing in particular there were some small annoying things there like the washing machine, around 3-4 days to fix something etc. Also this place is quite easy to get out. Although they need a notice of 2 weeks if there is someone waiting(which is usually the case) then u need not serve any.

There are few family rooms as well in the above two. I think it costs around 900-1300 Euro(not sure).

Another studio which is inexpensive & which can even be considered for long stay is the one attached to the hotel Derag Max Emanuel(Near Rosenheimer Platz). Rent is around 475 Euro. My colleague is staying at Derag for long term.

Advice 1: As many said, if the advert is too good to be true then it is not.

Advice 2: Be very active. Contact the advertiser as soon as u can. Runaround attending appointments. (Once winter sets in this can be a chilling experience :P ) Visit other houses while u r expecting reply from another landlord.

Advice 3: Market yourself to the landlord. Dress nice. Ensure that landlord knows all good things about having u as a tenant. It could be good salary, long stay, no smoking etc. This is especially important if you are an immigrant(and don't know German).

I got my studio from wg-gesucht. Also I was searching Toytown Adverts(very few). I saw the largest number of scams in ImmobilienScout. Although quite difficult to navigate for someone who does not know German I had also checked quoka. I had also searched Munich Mela(website for Indians in Germany). The advantage of the ads in it are that the landlords are in all cases "Immigrant no problem" ones. But very few ads.

I also heard that the largest number of ads come in newspapers and they are all gone within in a few hours after the paper comes out (hearsay). That left me no time to translate and read. :angry:

I was also ready to consider Mr. Lodge if I had not got an accommodation on time. Their houses look so good. Luckily I saved a fortune. Along with the caution deposit (2-3 months rent), first month's rent and a brokerage of 1.5-2.5 times of rent u will end up having to accummulate a lot of money intially if u go with a broker. For a rent of 700 Euro this means around 3000-4000 Euro :blink: . Then the initial moving cost of course.

Hope this helps someone.

i,

I have another 'fresh' input. This ad is available on immobilienscout24.de under Scout-ID: 62448954. It sounds too good to be true. And it was.

http://www.immobilie...-/EURO--1000,00

So I expressed my interest. The following morning I received this message.

Hallo

ersten Schritt, Mein Name ist Daniel Barth, 43 Jahre habe ich Familie mit 3 Kindern.

Ich kaufte mir diese Wohnung vor 11 Jahre neu eingerichtet.

Der Mietpreis enthält alle Nebenkosten (Wasser, Strom, Gas, Internet, Fernseher, Parkplatz) Zeitraum unbegrenzt zur Miete.

Ich habe eine Immobiliengesellschaft und vor 5 Jahre zog ich mit meiner Familie in (Rumänien) bei meiner Mutter und die nächsten 6-7 Jahre , Rumänien.

Sie können für unbegrenzte Zeit zu mieten.

Die Wohnung ist in Bild.Wie viele Monate möchten Sie mieten meiner Wohnung?

Nicht Problem mit Versand für Schlüssel und Vertrag der Wohnung habe ich es.

Bitte schreibt in Englisch, wenn Sie da ist sehr schnell für mich sprechen

Ich warte Ihre Antwort

Daniel Barth

Well, well, here we go again. So I replied simply that I would like to arrange a viewing to see whether the place is exactly what I had in mind. Less than a minute later(!) I got this reply.

Hi ,

I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the keys and the lease contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this will work:

1) First you will have to send me your full name and address. I will need them for the shipping.

2) I will go to the DHL-Express branch office to put the keys and the lease contract onto your name as the intended receiver.

3) DHL-Express will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys.

4) DHL-Express will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody.

5) At this point you will have to go to a Bank Agent Location and make a money deposit on the DHL-Express payment agent name for the amount we agreed (1 months rent-1000 Euro) .

6) After you make the deposit you will have to send the info about the money transfer to DHL-Express.

7) They will check the payment and if everything is okay they will deliver the keys and the lease contract to you.

8) After you receive the package, you will go and check the apt and in 2 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or not. If all is okay, you will instruct DHL-Express to release the payment to me. If you don`t like the apt they will return your money and you will send them the keys and the contract.

I will pay DHL-Express for the delivery and you will pay Bank Transfer for the Money Transfer fee .

Let me know if we can do this.

Regards,

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM. And I let him know that this is not how it works and that we are not going to be ripped off by a scam like this.

Unbelievable that 18 months later and these kind of scams are still here (my first encounter was in May 2010).

Beware please.

Feel obliged to let people know about a scammer on www.easywg.de.

I wasn't sucked in thankfully, but it could be very easy to be!

http://www.easywg.de/content/common/listingdetail.aspx?code=H12032923255402&from=L12040317103991

I've let easywg know so that link may not work soon.

First suspicions were raised when she called herself 'Kelly' on easywg.

In email - she referred to herself as 'Madlen Froehlich' with email address openifuoluwa@yahoo.com. The email address raises no suspicions but the IP address does.

I would just like to notify any people out there that may fall for this.

After searching IP addresses I found that the scammer may be in Sunnyvale, CA and not in fact in Germany.

Finally, researching a little bit more I found the exact text of the email she/he sent me on this website so I know for sure this is a scam:

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5340&p=97949

"Hi,

Thanks for your mail, I can reserve the room for you until the day of your move in but only if you show me how serious you need the room. I have other offer who is also interested in the room but I think we will be a perfect match (flatmate) and I would love to give the room to you. My apartment is a Two bedroom apartment located on Via Bernardo Rucellai, 50, 50123 Firenze, Italy to be precise and I am looking for tenants for one of the rooms in the apartment. The apartment belongs to my Mother although she got it from my father after the demise of my Father last year.

The apartment is fully furnished and also the rooms am renting out so you might not need to come with any other furniture but if you intend coming with any stuff, let me know alright?... The apartment has a heating system, water, parking space, security, Electricity, Gas, Phone, Internet Connectivity (Broadband), You would have free and unlimited access to the kitchen, the store room, the guest room, and all areas and part of the house except my room of-course... :) You are also entitled to your own visitors.

The two rooms has the same amenities and are of the same size. The rent for the apartment and also the cost of the utility bills is 300€. Once again, this includes the cost of the utilities as earlier mentioned. The apartment is centrally located and is just some minutes walk to the nearest bus station and also you would have easy and fast access to other locations.

You would also be required to pay a security deposit as is the custom, the security deposit would be refunded to you at the end of your stay in the apartment if nothing is destroyed by you during your stay in the apartment. The deposit is 400€. About Me: My Name is Alexandra Galasso I am a 25 year old Female. I am the only child of my parents and I live alone in this apartment.This apartment used to be my family apartment till when my Dad moved us all to London where he eventually passed away but I alone stay here in the apartment and have being renting it out for sometime now. My last flatmate left for Italy last week hence my search for new flatmates.

I am calm and laid-back person and my hobbies are reading, swimming and also at times on Fridays/weekend, I attend social events but I have not being having the opportunity dues to my work to hang out with my friends. I work as a marketing officer and when I am free I go to the pool to relax my mind and also unwind. I also visit the gym to keep fit at times.. ;)

Let me also know more about you because I believe it is essential that we get to know each other before we become flatmates. I shall be glad to send you pictures and also the contract so that we can conclude and be good flatmates.

I await to read your response.

Regards,

Madlen"

I mean, €300/month is a giveaway isn't it?!

Anyway, I'm just sharing the info I found. Stay clear and stay safe househunters!