Visiting Scotland in November

57 posts in this topic

So, I have a bit of free time in November and wanted to take a short holiday, about a week or so, somewhere in Europe and thought I might take a trip to Scotland but I'm wondering if it is worth going at that time of the year. Do many tourist attractions shut for the winter? I guess the weather wouldn't be the best but I can handle a bit of wind and rain coming from Ireland.

And are EasyJet the only airline that fly direct from Munich to Scotland?

Any tips or advice is welcome.

Ryanair from 'Munich West' also.

It will be dark. That's the worst part of that time of the year.

The highlands are beautiful at any time and I can't think of any Edinburgh attraction that would be closed. Depending on time and budget I would focus on Edinburgh but do a drive around the highlands.

Pretty sure that Lufthansa fly to Scotland.

Not Munich/Edinburgh direct. Or our travel agent is totally hopeless. Glasgow perhaps but nobody I work with has mentioned that and plenty of them would take that route if they could.

looks like you can do Memmingen-Edinburgh with Ryanair from €16 return per person in November, not including credit card fee

And 200 euros to checkin online, usually!

Actually might look at that as I need to entertain the kids during the autumn holiday.

So I have a choice between Ryanair and Easyjet. Super! ;)

But outside of the cities, might I find castles or even hotels shut for the season?

AquaticMeringue and I spent Hogmanay (New years eve) in Edinburgh.

The weather was mild compared to Munich, if a bit wet.

Mostly drizzle, so nothing that could not be ignored with proper clothing.

I was looking into travelling to different Scottish islands and as I understand there should be ferries running all through the year, not sure about aeroplanes though.

We took EasyJet from MUC to EDI, but returned via LHR because of a better connection.

I was in Edinburgh in early December a couple of years ago and although a couple of places of interest were closed (I seem to remember wanting to visit Gladstone's Land and The Georgian House but not managing to see them) most places were open. Saw the Parliament (doesn't look as bad as you'd think), Holyrood House (with a great temporary exhibition of Charles I's collection of paintings by Dutch artists in the adjacent Queen's Gallery), Museum of Scotland (v. impressive), Museum of Edinburgh (small and interesting), Mary King's Close (Medieval housing now underground: spooky!), St Giles Cathedral, Dean Gallery (v.g. modern art), National Portrait Gallery and I can't remember what else. Oh, yes - shopping, including this. For accommodation, I can recommend this guest house (they might give you a reduction if you're there for several days). Nice rooms, lovely breakfast, pleasant proprietors. Good restaurants (including Pataka and Kwok), nice pub and Tesco supermarket nearby. The owners of the guest house also have a self-catering flat.

Weatherwise, it was fine. Fine as in some sun, some rain, some wind. :)

The weather in Scottieland stays pretty much the same all year - rainy! Maybe the rain is warmer during the summer :P

So they wouldn't shut for the season.

Just as the others already wrote, you should focus on Edinburgh. If you're into castles, Stirling is not too far away. St Andrews is quite nice as well.

And other years the Hogmanay bash has been canceled because of blizzards!

That is a bummer, considering the ticket prices people were willing to pay for the Hogmanay concert.

But I guess you can get lucky or not...

Go to Glasgow too, it's got lots for tourists, especially the museams, good shopping and really good restaurants at reasonable prices. Plus if Edinburgh is you're base then it's only an hour on the train. If you want to go places that are not covered in tartan and bumped up in price for the tourists give Glasgow a try. The west coast also has some amazing scenary in Argyll, seriously beautiful and you don't even have to go that far north.

St Andrews is nice too, but it's really small and if you ain't into golf it's a bit dull after a while.

You can't guarantee anywhere in Scotland will be rain free in November so I would go for the cities were there is at least a lot to do.

To quote Billy Connolly - there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing!

I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and to my knowledge none of the tourist attractions close except maybe on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and Hogmanay. Edinburgh is beautiful and all the attractions listed by others are worth seeing. Glasgow is a mere 50min by train and well worth a visit. Fabulous museums (including the Burrell collection - a shipping magnate (who was a bit of a kleptomaniac) collected everything from entire rooms in castles to Degas paintings and Bodin sculptures. When he died he gifted parkland to Glasgow and they built a museum to house part of the collection - its a fab building), the shopping is better than Edinburgh too.

Stirling (home of Robert the Bruce) is about an hour by train north-west of Edinburgh.

Worth a trip up the Great Glen and to Inverness via Loch Ness if you have time.

Wherever you go the people are friendly and the beer (and whiskey) good!

Enjoy! I'm jealous! :)

Ach, like I said, coming from Ireland I don't think the weather will bother me and I will probably rent a car for the time so there is no bother with getting to any of the places, unless the roads are snowed under or flooded ;)

To quote more Big Yin ' Scotland only has two season - june and winter'.

Must sees are Edinburgh castle, but possibly only from the outside and the forecourt - Stirling Castle in my opinion is much more interesting. Take a bus tour from Waverley bridge - about 5 companies some with live commentaries and some on headphones. We go every time 2 adults and a child are about GBP28 hop and hop off all day. All their routes are similar. Pubs include Deacon Brodies and the Ensign Ewart (beside the castle, great affordable food and my favourite pub in the whole world) with live music and any of the pubs on the Grassmarket. Do a ghost walk in the evening, visit the Edinburgh vaults - some walking tours include this under the south bridge, and do not under any circumstances miss Mary Kings Close. Probably the best touristy type thing we have ever done anywhere.

I lived and studied in Edinburgh, was born in Glasgow and go back every year. Re-iterate the above. The dear green place is great for shopping and eating and above all the kelvingrove art galleries. Ooops almost forgot and this as a scottish person(!) Once you have got your bearings you can get all day Lothian bus tickets (every second bus) for about GBP2,50!!! But you must have the correct money, they give no change, maximum a receipt for the difference exchangeable somewhere on every third Sunday in Lent for cash. We have never managed.

Get the double decker bus from Turnhouse airport - its called airlink. I think a return is about GBP6.

EDIT - only rent a car by the day if you plan day trips. Most hotels have no or extortionately expensive parking and its almost impossible to drive in the centre anyway. The buses are magic.

EDIT AGAIN: Everything will be open even on Sundays. Best museum is the (free admission!) Museum of Childhood on the royal mile.

Feel free to PM regarding reliable, good value hotels and not necessarily touristy near the centre in both cities.

If You come to Scotland you have to visit the mecca of football : Tynecastle, home of the mighty Jambos. It's in the Gorgie area of Edinburgh.

If you are a sadist, visit Wick and Thurso.Nowt to do except bitch about the weather and get stuck into the booze. Seriously though,the Highlands have some very interesting places to visit - if you like old stuff like stone circles etc - and the Orkneys are really close to Thurso. You can get a connecting flight to Wick from Edinburgh with BA. Its a wee little plane and they really fly it - you feel every bump, quiteexciting compared to the usual flight you get on a big jet.

In Edinburgh be sure to visit the Museum of Scotland, which as museums go,is pretty kick-a*se. Just across the road is Greyfrairs Kirkyard, home of spooks and some exceptional graveside art - very gothic, very atmospheric. The castle is about ten quid to get in but you can spend a day there easily (tip* have a look at the eagle standard that Ensign Ewart ofthe Scot's Greys captured at Waterloo)

If you like like a dram, maybe consider joining the Scotch Malt Whisky Soc as they have two great private clubs in Edinburgh - one in the Newtown and one in Leith. The latter is very "Rowly Birkin" if you know what I mean :)

Taff