Best areas to live in Heidelberg and Mannheim

16 posts in this topic

just looking to compare kirchheim and rohrbach as am trying to choose a flat there, any help would be great, i know they are nearly the same, but if anyone lives in either or can help please do... thanks.

Which ever one has more transport options. In HD, it is difficult to get to Rohrbach and beyond in the evening as not too many buses/trams and are only a couple times an hour.

Rohrbach (esp. Alt-Rohrbach and along the hills) is a little more up-market than Kirchheim, and has an old-town section which Kirchheim doesn't have to the same degree. Kirchheim has more Americans, big-box-type shops, and is closer to (adjacent to) the highway and other main transport links. I live on the border between Handschuhsheim and Neuenheim, which I find to be the best neighborhood in the city, hands-down, but that's because it suits my needs (leafy, proximity to my work, excellent schools, nice playgrounds, religious community I enjoy, shopping, town center, public transport links). If I were picking between Rohrbach and Kirchheim I'd choose Rohrbach for the "feel" of it more than anything. IMHO Kirchheim doesn't have much of a community feel to it. OTOH it has a ton of families with little kids, if that's your thing. The city's promoting family-friendly housing in both districts, but watch out for the "Im Bieth" new-build area of Kirchheim - the newspapers have been full of complaints about what's being built there (for example, the new houses had no telephone lines and couldn't get them from the Telecom, leading to a scandal and much finger-pointing between contractors, city-planners and permission people, and the Telecom).

Pfaffengrund is pretty down-market. Could be cheap (a plus) but not very high quality of life. Not yet, anyway (I hear it's up and coming, with artists moving in.) I'm not sure I'd want to walk from there to the city (nor even to bike), esp. at night, from there. Not exactly dangerous but one of the shadier areas of HD, to be sure . Check police reports (published regularly in rnz.de) to see what kind of crimes occur on the way to/from and in Pfaffengrund (Czernyring is a dodgy spot, for example).

What exactly are your priorities for housing, aside from proximity? Would you consider Dossenheim, which is lovely, relatively inexpensive, and a 10-min tram ride into HD?

I lived in Rohrbach for ten years and loved it. You have both the 23 and 24 trams so you can get to the main station and the town centre every ten minutes by day - and there are night buses at weekends. Plus there's the 29 bus.

The main street has a lot of soul, with family run shops, and there are some nice pubs and restaurants. There's a large REWE supermarket and you have access to the big shopping centre at Rohrbach Sud for weekly shopping and large purchases.

East of the tram tracks you'll find more character properties, but a bit more expensive - and you're practically in the forest (though that's true all over HD) in case you like nature and open spaces. The further west you go, the more you'll find modern developments and bigger balconies.

Avoid Pfaffengrund - it's not convenient or habitable. If you can find something in Weststadt/Sudstadt to suit your budget then those are walking distance. Neuenheim is lovely, but the shops are crazy expensive.

thanks for the help... i don't suppose nanyone knows if there is something like a 14 day cooling off period once you sign a rental contract in germany...?

IMHO Kirchheim doesn't have much of a community feel to it.

Depends on where and at which spectrum, e.g. the Russians in Franzosengewann or the Sinti in Mörgelgewann tend to be quite... communal. B)

Pfaffengrund is pretty down-market. Could be cheap (a plus) but not very high quality of life. Not yet, anyway (I hear it's up and coming, with artists moving in.)

They're also building some new more up-market stuff there now ("Kranichgarten"). I imagine life in Pfaffengrund will be rather low quality once they rip up that main street to renew it (in a couple years).

(Czernyring is a dodgy spot, for example).

Only central redlight zone in Heidelberg (quite traditionally too, the Wilder Mann brothel has been around for decades). Plus of course Halle 02 with its student parties. Dunno which of those two is worse regarding dodginess.

i don't suppose nanyone knows if there is something like a 14 day cooling off period once you sign a rental contract in germany...?

There isn't.

In HD, it is difficult to get to Rohrbach and beyond in the evening as not too many buses/trams and are only a couple times an hour.

Rohrbach has some of the best public transport options within Heidelberg outside the city center. Trams run every 15 minutes or so till midnight (every 5 minutes during the day), and on the weekend from 1 am to 4 am (and daily at 1 am) there's the Moonliner busses.

just looking to compare kirchheim and rohrbach as am trying to choose a flat there

Be aware that an opinion from someone having lived in either suburb for a long time won't help - the two former villages are natural enemies, the last attempt to annex territory of one another was only 5 years ago. :ph34r:

(back in the 90s they even had rivaling gangs)

THANKS AGAIN, I HAVE CHOOSEN ROHRBACH, SEEMS MORE MY TYPE OF PLACE, AND JUST AS I SIGNED, A PLACE I COULD AFFORD CAME UP RIGHT IN TOWN, TYPICAL, BUT AM HAPPY WITH THE AREA, SO ALL GOOD...

hey mandala...if you dont mind, can you share the details of this place you got and the rent u paying...need an idea on the rent scenario at rohrbach etc...even i will be looking for a place in rohrbach sometime in oct

Hello all,

Reviving this topic, after searching through all related threads I picked this thread as it covers all places someone would consider when relocating to HD/MA area.

I plan to relocate with my family, consisting of a 5 yr old daughter. So schooling and a safe, lively surroundings is what my priority is as I can manage 35-40 min trip to work via train (Walldorf). I have shortlisted these areas for my search criteria. Any comments, new suggestions are appreciated and will be helpful for my decision.

HD

How's Pfaffengrund area now, as last updated info i can find here was in 2010, I do see couple of grundschule and day-cares in that area and Line22 takes one to Bismarkplatz in 15 mins(10 min frequency)

Rohrbach-Kirchheim still seems very popular but difficult to get an apartment.

Neuenheim and Handschuhsheim also look like good options, but I haven't explored those areas

MA

Schwetzingerstadt is most popular area as I can figure out from all threads

Lindenhof and Oststadt and then the Quadrant esp. L-R

Any comments, new suggestions are appreciated and will be helpful for my decision.

18 hours ago, ArunShek said:

MA

Schwetzingerstadt is most popular area as I can figure out from all threads

Lindenhof and Oststadt and then the Quadrant esp. L-R

Any comments, new suggestions are appreciated and will be helpful for my decision.

I live in Mannheim, also the Schwetzingervorstadt and also commuted to Walldorf via S-bahn for 3 years. It was a 45 minute to 1 hour door-to-door commute (going home took longer - the train only takes 30 minutes, but you have to calculate getting to and from the station). I'm glad I could walk to the train station though, although I had the option of taking the tram #1. Lindenhof will offer that as well (walk or tram). Oststadt, depending on where you live has no tram nearby. Also because that's the "villa neighborhood", rental prices are much higher .

I agree with your order of things in MA:  Schwetzingerstadt, Lindenhof --> but perhaps before Oststadt I might put Almenhof. There's 2 tram lines that runs through there, directly through the train station (#3 and #1)  this neighborhood borders on Lindenhof as well. We have friends who live in Neckarau. One has their kid at kindergarten in Schwetzingervorstadt the other sends their kid to the Walldorf Kindergarten. It's also not so bad, but it's a bit further out and it's still a 10 minute walk to the #1 tram line. The one family, an Indian family feels a bit isolated out there, they would have preferred Schwetzingerstadt, but out in Neckarau they pay €800 (before utilities) for a 2 bedroom (3 room) apartment. You'd be hard pressed to get that in Schwetzingerstadt let alone Oststadt! But, IMO, if you have to rely on a tram to get to the train station on time, you'll increase your commute, so...

18 hours ago, ArunShek said:

How's Pfaffengrund area now, as last updated info i can find here was in 2010, I do see couple of grundschule and day-cares in that area and Line22 takes one to Bismarkplatz in 15 mins(10 min frequency)

Rohrbach-Kirchheim still seems very popular but difficult to get an apartment.

Neuenheim and Handschuhsheim also look like good options, but I haven't explored those areas

Same goes for HD, except you might be able to rely more on the tram in order to keep your commute to a manageable pace. My husband lived in Neunheim for some time. Lovely (albeit crowded neighborhood and pricey), and I needed 15 minutes by tram to the train station, then another 20 to Walldorf (plus then the bus to SAP HQ). So my commute was still 45 minutes. Handschusheim is quite popular with families and also a lovely area, and you can get the tram to the station in 15-20 minutes as well.

In order to keep your commute to 35-40 minutes, I'm afraid you'll have to live closer to a train station, so perhaps consider Bahnstadt (a new neighborhood), or the areas in Bergheim or Weststadt near to the station, or somewhere near the s-bahn line that travels to Walldorf or near Walldorf itself :-)

In any case, you could look into the carsharing platform by SAP called TwoGo once you get settled.

I love living in Handschuhsheim and find that it's great for kids, though it is costly and there are parts that are relative public transportation deserts. In the best case scenario - for example, if you lived near Technologiepark (on the border between Neuenheim and Handschuhsheim) you could hop on any tram and get to Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof in 6 minutes and continue your journey from there.   If you lived in Neuenheim convenient to the Jahnstrasse/Ernst Walz Brücke you could catch the number 720 commuter bus which will get you to "SAP campus" bus stop in Walldorf in 32 minutes - no changes necessary. 

On the downside, generally speaking, relatievly few flats and houses  of any size come on the market (whether rental or sale) in Handschuhsheim and Neuenheim, and that which does appear gets snapped up quickly.  You can check e.g. https://www.nestoria.de/immobilien/mieten/handschuhsheim to get an idea of what's out there.  Bear in mind, too, that lots of landlords refuse to rent to families with children.  If it's not illegal, it ought to be - but unfortunately it is par for the course in these parts.  (Often dogs are ok but kids are not.)  So if the ad for a generously-sized flat says "suitable for a single person" "perfect for a couple" or "mature tenant desired" or similar phrasing it means they won't have kids as tenants so don't bother inquiring. :-(

Good luck!

I would rate them: Schwetzingerstadt - Lindenhof - Almenhof - Neckarau (some parts) - Oststadt. I lived in Schwetzingerstadt for years and friends with kids were quite happy with the kindergartens/schools in the area (Schwetzingerstadt & Oststadt). 

The question is also if you would like to live in the city or in a more rural setting. Mannheim also has the former military bases. Friends with kids bought a house there and are very happy. http://www.konversion-mannheim.de/marken-projekte/wohnen Most of them are a bit further out so it would mean a longer communte if it has to be public transport. 

Does is have to be MA/HD? Maybe Speyer would be worth looking at (again, no idea about public transport, sorry. I think there is an S-Bahn). 

Good luck with your search! 

4 hours ago, liebling said:

If it's not illegal, it ought to be

It's legal as long as the owner of the building/flat owns at most 49 / less than 50 apartments - at more than that it's treated as a generic business which may not discriminate against customers. This is why:

1) the largest single-building "Mietskasernen" designs are quite often 48-apartment-sized (or come in numbers adding up to that - 4x12/3x16/2x24...) so that a single person could own them (and their own apartment) and not have it treated as a business and

2) it is often a whole lot easier to get an apartment with one of the local housing companies - such as GGH in HD - since they're used to handling it as a business.

Beyond the discrimination thing it's also a tax and incorporation issue of course.

Easier is relative of course: for us the GGH was a dead end.  They do have new projects (now Mark Twain Village, for example) but space in their existing buildings elsewhere can be really hard to come by.  We were on a GGH "waiting list" (registered as Mietinteressenten) for 2+ years  -- and simultaneously on a waiting list for an option on any potential flats for rent in the Catholic Church's real estate holdings (via the Kath. Kirchenschaffnei) and in that time there was never a flat available that was suitable for a 5-person family (according to their definitions) in any of our 4 preferred boroughs of Heidelberg. Never even got a bite from the GGH, and we got in touch with them often, indicated our ongoing interest just as they told us to, etc. The Kirchenschaffnei offered us an option of one flat in Neuenheim, advertised as "suitable for a large family" but in fact it only had 2 bedrooms, one of which you had to walk through to get to the other.  Not conducive to a happy family in our case.

When we finally found a place it was through a small-scale landlord whose ad in the paper listed it as a "Familienwohnung". That was 3 years after we started looking in earnest. I hope the OP has an easier time of it - and I suspect he will, given the broader geographical area that's of interest to him and due to him having only one child (so far?).