Using electricity to heat an apartment

15 posts in this topic

Hello once again,

Yes, I'm already thinking about winter! My gf lives in a 38sqm altbau studio apartment which is lovely in spring and summer but hell from October onwards. The apartment is poorly insulated, the coal oven is small and useless and the landlord has no immediate plans for Sanierung. Heating with coal alone is not an option, as the oven generates hardly any heat so it's never warm and cozy in her apartment. The best it gets is 'bearable'. To give you an idea of how cold is gets, she switches her fridge off in winter as it is colder in her apartment than it is inside the fridge!

Moving out is a last resort so she is now looking at alternative heating solutions. Does anyone have any advice to offer on the best way to silently (or quietly) heat an apartment of this size. We are aware that electricity is expensive, but her rent is dirt cheap so the extra expense during winter can be easily absorbed.

Thanks in advance :)

We have the same issue. Do not buy a space heater that will kill your electric bill.

Consider a oil radiator. It plugs in and heats up the oil, which then heats the radiator. But it stays hot, whereas a electric heater only heats when the coils are on. They cost about 80 euro on amazon for one big enough for 60sqm you could get one for a smaller room even cheaper. You don't have to ad oil or anything, and you can even set them with a thermostat.

heh, yes but you have no idea how nice and cheap this apartment is :) She has lived in this Bergmannkiez apartment for 6 years, without a single rent increase so it would be much cheaper to heat with electricity than to move into a shitty apartment with heating at double the rent.

It uses about 2kw per hour if it runs non stop. Pricing would vary based on how often you use it and your companies rates.

But the nice thing is even when you turn it off, it still heats because that oil is warm, and it does not cool instantly like a space heater.

to move into a shitty apartment

38 sqm with no heat. Moving into a shitty apartment would provide a nice flashback.

To give you an idea of how cold is gets, she switches her fridge off in winter as it is colder in her apartment than it is inside the fridge!

It this was true you could stop paying rent at all until the situation is fixed.

It does not surprise me, our basement apartment the livingroom never got over 16 or 17 grad even with the heat on 5 24 hours a day.

I told the landlord he said I was wrong, and I need to heat more, how in fecks sake I can heat more then 24 hours a day is beyond me.

It is easy to say just move, but in a country that has bloodsuckers ooops maklers everywhere and require 2 months rent plus 3 months notice and moving costs, its not just a simple quick solution.

We chose to heat and call it a day, cheaper then a move.

If you were renting a 38sqm apartment in a nice, beautifully maintained altbau building in Berlin's Bergmannkiez for €160 kalt (heh) per month*, you might understand her reluctance to move out. Even if she pays an extra €200 per month in electricity bills, it would still be cheaper than moving into a similar apartment in the same area.

The landlord is not obligated to upgrade the heating. We're just trying to heat it with something better than a shitty coal oven. That's all. Suggestions please.

*Not my dream apartment or kiez, but many like it.

We lived in an oven heated apartment in Neukölln until April and never in my life have I been so cold and uncomfortable as last winter! Being pregnant at the time, a friend took pity on me and gave me 3 oil heaters so I camped out on the sofa, surrounding myself with them. My German boyfriend was horrified as he thought we'd be financing the Christmas bonus of the Vattenfall fatcats but turns out when we moved out, THEY paid US some money back! In other words, get thee to ebay and get some oil heaters! :-)

if you can get a dual tariff electricity supply then a storage electric heater would be most cost effective. Check with your electricity supplier they may offer packages for difficult to heat houses (installing the heaters and meters). Otherwise only reasonable option is an oil filled radiator (not any cheaper that other electric heaters to run but more comfortable). Put some rugs down and hang some heavy curtains and remember, you get what you pay for.

We have the same issue. Do not buy a space heater that will kill your electric bill.

Consider a oil radiator. It plugs in and heats up the oil, which then heats the radiator. But it stays hot, whereas a electric heater only heats when the coils are on. They cost about 80 euro on amazon for one big enough for 60sqm you could get one for a smaller room even cheaper. You don't have to ad oil or anything, and you can even set them with a thermostat.

FWIW, there is no difference in efficiency between a space heater, an oil radiator or a hair dryer. An electric device that produces 2000W worth of heat also consumes 2000W of power. The fact that a radiator stores heat is not an advantage, because you're only getting back the energy that you put in to heat up the oil.

Technically you could even let a 2000W vacuum cleaner run 24/7 and it would heat the place just as efficiently as a 2000W space heater or radiator. That means if you do use electricity to heat your place, there's not much point in turning off any of your electric devices*. You can leave all your wall warts plugged in, have the place lit like Buckingham Palace and leave your TV running the whole time, because 2000W worth of light bulbs produce just as much heat as a 2000W space heater.

*does not apply to electric devices like washing machines and dishwashers that send waste heat down the drain in the form of hot water.

Works for me...

Plus my blow dryer is a piece of crap, I doubt it could run 2000w of heat if it wanted too, damn think is only luke warm ;)

Just sayin.

I was complaining to a german friend about my room being a bit cold. She said that last year she had a similar problem and went to some Renters Rights website and got her place checked out. Apparently there's a minimum temperature your rooms should be able to easily reach (the temperature depends on the function of the room) and it turns out her radiator was too small for the size of room and the landlord had to pay for it to be changed in order to sufficiently heat the space. They were quick to act on it once she pointed it out since she could take out a % of her rent until it was fixed.