Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy scented candles

28 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm not looking for the usual vanilla and rose scented candles that you can find in the grocery store but good candles of varying scents like the ones you would find in the US at Bath and Body Works or other stores. I have searched and searched and can't seem to really find many. Is this not that common in Germany? My mother in law seems to think it's funny that I want so many things to scent my home but I'm really used to having scented candles and it makes it a happier environment for me (aromatherapy and all that jazz). Now that fall is around the corner I'm really wanting to get the fall and christmas scented candles.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

( I searched the forums and only found a previous post for Yankee Candles but I'm looking for other types as well)

Your best bet might be a place like Das Depot or Butlers where you can buy decor for the home. But I don't know for sure they do scented candles. I always get the small Brise (Glade) ones, preferably cinnamon scented. You could also try ipuro which is definitely sold at Das Depot. It's not a candle but it'll make your room smell nice.

And I think I remember seeing bigger scented candles at dm Drogeriemarkt some time. Not as much variety as in the States though.

You already mentioned Yankee Candle but they're available through Amazon Marketplace. I also found some by Colonial Candle on Amazon. Just search for Colonial Candle or Yankee Candle. They're probably more expensive that in the States but if you really like them, maybe it's worth it for you.

I have seen them in little shops in the malls. They were not a single company, most those random stationary shops that have a hodgepodge of everything. I never bought them because the prices were crazy like 12 euro for a small one, 30 for a 3 wick candle.

Thanks for the info, guys. Anyone else share my pain or am I the only crazy person that likes to burn candles at home? :)

I buy scented candles occasionally, but have usually just found them at places like the drugstore.

If you like other aromas, have you tried the aroma oils that you put in the little containers of water that are then heated up with a tea candle? I have a little ceramic stove, with a teeny teapot on top, bigger than a doll house size, but still cute. The candle just fits inside of a little ceramic skillet that then slides into the "oven". The oils are nice, as you can mix them, cinnamon with cloves, or orange, perhaps fir aromas or one of my favorites, cedar wood, or sometimes coffee with vanilla. These are a whole lot cheaper than buying scented candles.

Have you heard of Partylite? That's where I like to get my scented candles. They are a bit pricey but the quality is just great. Usually you have a Partylite party, along the same lines as a Tupperware party but I'm sure you could probably order some candles without attending a party, though they are fun. If you go to Partylite.de and then click on BeraterInnensuche you can type in your zipcode and find someone who sells Partylite candles in your area. Good Luck!!

I share your pain! I was spoiled back home in America with strongly scented candles at the grocery store. Here in Germany I walk through the scented candle section and I smell nothing. You should at least be able to tell you are standing in a scented candle aisle!

I've even been in candle shops in Wuppertal and the scented ones they have are so faint it's hard to tell they're scented.

The drugs stores (Schlecker, DM) carry a few varieties of Glade/Brise that smell good, and Ikea has some nice ones, but I need to just go back to America and get some of my favorite cinnamon and pumpkin ones for Winter. I noticed recently Febreze came out (Kaufpark) with a line of scented candles but they're 4,49E and I don't know if they're any good for that price.

The last really good Glade candle I brought back from America was "Creamy custard and blushing apple" and although it's mostly gone, there's a bit of wax in the bottom and it still makes the room smell good (not even burning), and it's over a year old.

I will definitely try the stores/ideas offered here.

Aveda (shop on Ku'dam corner with Fasanenstrasse) and Occitane (Ku'dam between Fasanen&Uhlandstrasse and at KadeWe) have both very good scented candles (on the expensive side, though).

That's a good site, Beuel, thanks! I'll have to bookmark that to use when bringing them back from the US gets too expensive or heavy. I'm going back within the next month or two so I'll bring a few back with me but I keep telling myself that at one point I have to deal with what's available here and can't keep bringing/shipping stuff from home. I know it might sound silly to some but a simple thing like a bag of Cheetos or a candle that reminds me of home can make all the difference especially on rainy, dreary days like today.

Thank goodness at least Yankee Candles are available over here but I would love if Bath and Body Works would sell their candle lines over here. You can't beat their $5 candle sales :)

Fragrances have to be licensend by EU guidelines for use in rooms in germany, that's why most candles are only faint.

Atemluft wird mit Giftstoffen und Allergenen belastet

Raumduftsprays, Duftgele, -öle und -kerzen sowie Duftöl-Lichte belasten dem DAAB zufolge häufig die Atemluft mit Giftstoffen und hochpotenten Allergenen. Ein Prüfinstitut hatte die Produkte der Bedienungsanleitung entsprechend in einem jeweils verbrauchertypischen Einsatz simuliert. Gemessen wurde die Raumluftkonzentration verschiedener Stoffe wie Limonen, das als hautreizend gilt, und Benzol, das als krebserregend eingestuft wird.

But maybe you can start sort of a tupperparty with scented candles from home :)

I guess that makes sense. Like I said previously my mother in law thinks it's a little funny that I want my home scented but she always makes comments when it smells good. I have the little oil burners but I'm not too good at mixing oils to create the scents and I'd rather just buy them premade (I know, I'm lazy but I'm no good at it).

I have been researching the candle tarts that would be less expensive than shipping full sized candles. I just found some sellers on Etsy that will ship overseas and the cost isn't astronomical.

Happened to check in the drug store yesterday and found these scents:

Lavender, Coconut, Raspberry, Vanilla, and some kind of Brise ones with a mix of aromas in them.

Once fall comes rolling around, check in Woolworths. I think that is where we were getting our spicy candles last year.

Also, if you have a Metro card, they have a wide assortment there too.

I get mine from Partylite as well. Expensive but worth it imo so long as you can keep away from the really expensive accessories. Good quality and they only use natural oils to scent their candles. Ikea do have very strongly scented candles I think - I usually have to hold my breath and run through that section or else I end up with a headache.

Don't forget that there will be harvest markets on in some places (well, there are around here anyway) and in a few months the christmas markets - they can be good for finding nice candles, not all scented but some are.