Should fat airline passengers pay extra?

461 posts in this topic

Dont zyou think that fat people should have to pay extra when they travel on planes?

Why you might ask?

Well... Being a light person of average build, when i last went on a plane my baggage was over weight so i had to pay excess.

Then the person checking in next to me who was twice my weight, was checking in there bags and they were just on the limit so didnt have to pay excess, but what about the excess he was carrying in his belly!!!

The way i see it the bags arent the heavy things on the plane, what they do is make other passengers pay for the fatties to fly.

My solution...

If they weighed the passenger and their baggage, this would see the real weight cuprits paying for themselves instead of forcing all the skinny people to pay for them.

So then who's with me?

Macca

No.

Weight and Balance doesn't work like that.

I used to work for an airline doing systems.

And there is always someone thinner than you.

The problem is only that the seats are already too tight, having a 300 pounder next to you is hardly comfortable and not really fair.

I think there was some time when they made obese clients pay for 2 seats. (not sure)

@Katrina Maybe it should ;)

@euro how did you know??? is you the one stalking me!!!

Though - ever sat next to someone on a plane who asks to lift the armrest because it is too uncomfortable (i.e. they are too big for the seat) and then spent the entire flight with half of their lap on your lap?

But that's a seat allotment issue and not a wieght issue, directly.

Fat , smoking women should pay more tax for health expenditure.

Young males should pay more for car insurance.

Stupid people should pay me more.

I think the general rule is that if you can't buckle the safety belt, then you have to pay for a second seat. At least that's what they did with the Sumo wrestler that was our flight back from Hawaii.

And fat, smoking men???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More for health as well --- that was kind of the point --- those who use the system the most should pay the most for it.

More men are taken out from heart attacks - nice and fast , no hangin on like a fart in a phone box.

As Katrina said - there is always someone smaller and thinner. If you can get the $127 I was charged for bringing my 6kg dog on the plane, I might listen . . . :rolleyes:

Maybe they should build see through perspex barriers between the seats that go from the seat to the ceiling. That way if a fat person is struggling it doesn't intrude on anyone else.

There could be a section of wider seats that would cost more - if they want more space they could sit there.

Nothing worse than spending 8 hours on a plane with someone half sprawled across your seat.

<Warning, the following is a rant. If you do not care to read a rant right now, then skip to the next post. If you read the rant and disagree with it, fine, I don't care. It's me complaining about my own personal experiences. Again, don't want to read a rant, skip to the next post>

I have more of a problem with people spilling over into the seat I paid for. I'm a rather small person (as anyone who has seen me can tell you), and I understand that it takes someone my size to fit into one of those damn seats, but when the person next to me puts the armrest up and spills into my seat, I start to get kinda pissed. I'm tired of the 'it's not their fault' argument. Unless they have an identified medical condition which causes obeasity (such as diabetes), let them pay me for at least part of my seat as well. I'm sick and tired of being squished into my seat by people next to me. I hate it when people are big enough that they rest their elbows IN MY FUCKING LAP AND STOMACH because they can't fit into the seat. Now, I will say that the airlines could do something to ease the situation by widening the seats a bit. *Some have started offering more leg room, which is nice and all, but I'd like to see more ass room for people. I've taken to squirming every time someone is inconsiderate enough to put the armrest up and basically lean against me. I've had multiple flights that I've been asked to stop squirming around because it's bothering the asshole next to me who can't fit in his own seat. Fuck them. If they weren't in my friggin' seat, then it wouldn't bother them nearly as much (and I wouldn't be doing it). I've often responded with "can you please get back in your own seat?" and gotten looks of horror from the person as if I've just killed their first born. If you are going to touch me and use the space allocated to ME, then I fully reserve the right to squirm all I bloody want. If you want more space, then offer to pay me for the space you are using which I paid for. BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T RAISE THE FUCKING ARMREST!!!

I feel better now.

<end of rant>

Oh, and I don't care about the passenger weight thing. From what I've heard it wasn't a plane weight issue but something else like balance or something. Don't know for sure.

In 2002 Southwest Airlines directed its employees to enforce a 1990 policy of charging overweight passengers for a second ticket if they spill into their neighbor's seat. Continental and American Airlines also requires passengers who "protrude extensively into an adjacent seat" to buy a second ticket.

It's a matter of space, not weight, at least in the passenger section. Airlines don't make a lot of money on steerage passengers. I've had flights (€150 MUC-NYC) that were so cheap you'd think the airline was losing money on me just because of the landing fees (€100/passenger + weight class at the time). I won't go into a discussion on ticket pricing, blocks and brokers here.

The weight charge for luggage is due to standard cargo hold calculations. When the airline knows how many seats will be full, it can calculate the expected number of bags. Knowing the maximum number of bags allows you to pretty accurately predict their total weight and volume. What's not used by passengers is used by cargo, and that's where airlines make a lot of money, which explains why they'll fly a 757 with only 12 passengers across the Atlantic anyway.

Cargo is carried on contracts which are usualy time-constrained. The cargo must fly. Too many extra bags and there won't be room for it. The actual weight of both cargo and passenger is usually only a concern on smaller planes like the Embraers and Super ATRs. Only here is weight and balance a real issue. On large jets that concern is mainly based on the cargo.

While I despise the 18.75-inch-wide plane seats, people have made it clear they care more about price than comfort so the airlines need to squeeze more people into the same area to collect the same amount of money. It's not fair to other passengers that overweight people are taking up part of their seats, too. According to Southwest, this was their number one complaint.

Having been squashed myself, I have no problem charging extremely overweight people for the extra space they take up. Southwest is quite fair about their policy: if the seat would have otherwise remained empty, the price of the second ticket is refunded.

woof.

I think the seat belt rule is a good one...assuming the person could use the strap from one seat and the buckle from the other seat. I would rather sit next to an uncomfortably large person rather than say the skinny guy with bad hygiene AND a flatulence problem as I did on the long leg from Tokyo to San Francisco. I still have nightmares.

I think the general rule is that if you can't buckle the safety belt, then you have to pay for a second seat. At least that's what they did with the Sumo wrestler that was our flight back from Hawaii.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen people get belt extentions on the plane because the belt wouldn't make it around them. Never saw them charged for it though...

You also get a belt extension for pregnant ladies or the special extension for babies travelling facing forward on a lap.

You don't get charged for forward flab, just potentially for sideways spillage (have I put that nicely enough? Good).

I think the general rule is that if you can't buckle the safety belt, then you have to pay for a second seat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not normal. Stewardesses have seat belt extenders. I've never seen any airline charge additional for them or for their having to be used. It would be difficult for them to do so since the passenger would already be in his seat.

woof.