English-speaking driving schools in Karlsruhe

19 posts in this topic

Hallo. I will be moving to Karlsruhe towards the end of the year and I want to get a German driver's license. Is there an English driving school within the city? I hope so. I don't want to travel all the way to Stuttgart to take the lessons (I am assuming Stuttgart, being a big city, has one). By the way I know how to drive already but I still want to feel how it is to drive here.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Depends, where you come from my friend. You might not need sit one at all. If you're from the EU you don't have to do anything at all, just change it in your local Landsrat Amt. If you're from the States or Oz or somewhere ya have a few forms to fill in and shit but nothing too hairy. There's a few goos posts on the site if ya look a bit more carefully.

Hi Paulie. The thing is my license expired already so I will definitely have to go through the lessons. Im sure less, since I drive already. Anyway, here in Berlin I found school that teaches in English. I already have an idea of the cost, process, etc. but since I move to KA soon, I dont have much time. Thats why I'm looking for one there.

Hey I know it's been a while since this was posted but how did you go with getting the licence in Karlsruhe?

Did you manage to sort it out? I'm an Australian living in KA at the moment and I've got to change over my licence as I've been using the International Driving Permit until now and this is limited here in the EU. Anyways, if anyone could let me know what they had to go through I'd appreciate it very much. I'm not sure if I'll need to take lessons, I've heard mixed stories.

Cheers

Dave according to the How to Germany website (http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/driving.html) you will probably be able to simply exchange your dl for a German one. Are you aware that you can drive with you Australian dl for six months from the time of your arrival to Germany, during which period you must do the paperwork for its exchange?

THe best would be to check with the local offices (at your Rathaus?) in Karlsruhe. We are in Stuttgart, I can not help you with Karlsruhe.

My husband (has Texan dl) exchanged his for German one. He had to fill out several forms, and in addition to take the First aid course (one day thing). THey didn't even ask for the official German translation of the dl. But, again, that may be dependent on the mood of the officer. Just be sure that you have every doc that they need (to avoid going back and fort), make copies so that you don't have to give them your originals. Once they have the German licence ready you will get a letter or a phone call to come to pick it up. You must give up your Australian licence, but I believe, they will return it to you once you leave Germany for good. Apparently, sometimes it is possible to persuade them to let you keep your original dl.

Good luck with your exchange.

Ok being Aussie myself and having only just changed my Aussie license over to a German one in December last year I can give you info straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Go here:

http://www.das-kfz-portal.de/fuehrerscheinstellen/deutschland/baden-wuerttemberg/karlsruhe_stadt.html

(I was living in a different city so went to a different office but I got the info from the same website so it should be good to go.)

The rules: ( http://www.sydney.diplo.de/contentblob/3035064/Daten/1179934/Drivers_Licence.pdf )

Well good news is no more tests it's a straight swap, well sort of. OK the rules are a little confusing (oddly I don't understand the English explanation at all but the German version made sense.) so I'll explain it as to how it was explained to me by the nice lady in the office.

If you plan to stay in Germany more than a year you need to swap your license with in 6 months, however you can still simply swap your license up to a year after your arrival. The only difference being if you intend to stay between 6 months and 1 year you can drive on an international license if you are intending to stay longer than a year after 6 months you are not allowed to drive anymore on your Aussie license. Strange rule I know and how they police it, no idea.

So basically if your under 6 months you can start the swap and keep driving.

If your over 6 months but under 1 year you can swap the license but you will not be allowed to drive until you pick up your German license. (This could be a problem if you need the car for work all up it took me about a month to swap.)

If your over 1 year then you have to take the whole test again. (Or leave an re-enter the country or something equally dodgy.)

Cost:

I went to ADAC to get a translation for the license. (This is mandatory as they have never seen any Aussie licenses before and they will basically look at it all confused like and go did you get if from a wheaties packet.) It took about 2 weeks to get the translation back and it cost around 50 euro.

Then you have to actually pay to have the license changed that cost around another 50 euros. All up I paid a little under 100 euros from memory much better than the 1200 euro plus to sit the full license. But I am not sure if there are regional differences. I swapped my license in the east.

You need to have a passport photo and there was a form that you need to fill out which I got from the licensing office.

Good luck.

Sandy

Does anyone know or can recommend a driving school in Karlsruhe, which has English speaking instructors?

Tom.

The website for FaS Fahrschule in the town of Malsch says they offer lessons in English, and that's not too far away. http://www.fas-fahrschule.de/ 

Apparently, it is also acceptable to take the theory lessons in German, even if you don't understand a word. At least that's what the guy at Zebra Fahrschule in Ettlingen said (http://www.zebra-fahrschule.de/). But it sounds like a pretty dull and pointless experience.

Coming from California, I think I have to take driving classes, as well as the written and practical tests, etc. Does anyone know whether you may take the practical lessons in your own car, or does it depend on the individual instructor? My wife pretty much only drives automatic transmission. While Zebra Fahrschule does have an automatic car, they have no lessons in English.

Hello Neighbors,

Since the last response was quite long ago, I would re-post the same question.

Are there any English speaking Fahrschule in Karlsruhe Weststadt ?

Can you please let me know.

Neil

Did you even bother to click the links from immerLernen?  Apparently no.  Zebra offers training in English.

I had some lessons at the zebra school in Karlsruhe and they have an English-speaker there. My experience was pretty terrible as the instructor was used to bullying and shouting at young teenagers. He called me a fool when I used the brakes and at one point slapped my hand away from the indicator. Since that experience, I've not set foot in a car. Wouldn't wish this teacher on anyone.   

If this guy is not self-employed and owns the school I would certainly make sure his employers know that. I am sorry you had to go through that as I also had what little confidence I had destroyed at one point, although not by an instructor. Cannot imagine it happening anywhere else though... Building confidence is so important. Please put this behind you and get behind the wheel, otherwise you are allowing this idiot to win. You need to drive.

I have heard similar stories about Zebra Fahrschule. And the comment was made close to 2 years ago, hence I was not sure if there are any additional schools which might have cropped up in the mean time.

That's the whole reason of me re-initiating the thread. 

Hope this helps understanding the reason, before concluding anything @BayerischDude

However, thank you guys once again, I will still try my luck at Zebra school.

Avoid Zebra at all costs !.

My daughter was invited there for a free visit and look around with a group of schoolfriends and was conned into signing a contract in German not understanding a single word. When I complained they were extremely rude and insisted on paying a 70 Euro cancellation charge. They knew very well they were conning someone out of cash. Since then I have heard nothing but awful comments from those conned into actually taking lessons. Students left waiting on the street for non existent instructors and as mentioned above insulting language.

We eventually used the family firm Vesper in Hagenbach where we live just over the Rhine from Karlsruhe center.

They were excellent, good value, friendly, efficient and one teacher speaks good if not perfect English. My daughter passed her test first time.

Hi everyone, 

The last post in this topics was 2019. So I want to ask if you can recommend English speaking driving instructors/companies in Karlsruhe? I already did some searching and sent a couple of emails. I've even got a replies with a denial that they don't teach in English. So please, if you have any good options, suggest them to me.   

Thanks for help. 

Surely the test must be taken in German, might it not be better to spend time learning the language before taking driving lessons? Not sure if many German driving instructors are able to explain traffic law in English.

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

Surely the test must be taken in German,...

Can be taken in English as well. Even in Spain you can do it in English.